1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Scarlett or Presonus interface?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by FortyEight, Jan 19, 2021.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I plan to go buy one of these today with an sm57. It dawned on me the other day that the equipment my friend borrowed to me should probably be replaced. I was recording and the interface fell on the concrete floor when I accidentally got my foot caught on the chord.

Then it dawned on me that if I break my friends stuff (since I'm using loaned equipment) I would have to buy one for him and one for myself eventually. I guess it might behoove me to pre empt that. I'm not really worried about the SM58 he borrowed me since they're so robust but the MXL990 condenser I don't really want to replace that either... So I think I'm going to try a 57. My drummer got one and it felt like it unlocked some headroom or clarity on his sound.

I want to buy locally and I know I can get either of those brands of interfaces locally. I'm leaning towards just ponying up the extra 50 bucks for the scarlet 2i2 over the presonus 2 channel.

Old Plank likes this.
  2. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

I've had good luck with both. Because of Focusrite's old association with Rupert Neve (long since gone), they're kind of a sentimental favorite. But a about ten years ago a friend gave me an old Presonus eight channel interface he didn't even want to bother to sell, and it just keeps on working and sounds great. High bang for the buck with that one (cost: free. Result: two remotely recorded albums that actually came out... no one knew I didn't do them with the high-class Lynx converters in my little place, or the even-perhaps-higher-class Burl converters in the record company's studio...)

Old Plank likes this.
  3. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I use a 2i2 and a 2i4 and have had no problems with either. Getting good results on acoustic guitars with an SM57 into the 2i4. No experience with PreSonus, but all my Scarlett experience has been good.

Old Plank likes this.
  4. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

What are you going to record with the SM57? It will test the gain of any audio interface's microphone preamps. The Presonus has a pretty bad noise problem, based on this review:

The Focusrite has a lower noise level, and here's a 2i2 (gen 3) review. You'll see the reviewer test an SM7b, which is a little less sensitive than the SM57, and it sounds like it would be fine, especially in a mix, if you have a source at least as loud as the reviewer's voice, of course.

Old Plank likes this.
  5. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

I recently looked into 4 channel interfaces with MIDI and these are my thoughts:

- As stated above Presonus has more noise
    - Scarlett looked good, but the 4 channel model didn't have actual Buttons for the INST and AIR buttons ( the 2 input model did not have MIDI, either.)

I bought the MOTU M4 (M2 is 2 channel interface). Check out the guy above's review of that interface. The MOTU has a nice big VU meter on it and has actual buttons for Monitoring and Phantom Power. I need everything pretty simple for my wife to record with, so the MOTU was my choice.

6. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve only owned (and still own) a Scarlett 2i4. It’s been solid.

7. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

And I think the 57 is a solid buy. Very good on male vocals and guitars, acoustic and electric.

Jim622 likes this.
  8. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Could post this earlier so here it is:

9. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted

Hopefully your wife doesn't read this post, otherwise .............

swervinbob likes this.
  10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’m firmly in the Scarlett camp. It seems silly but I love “gain halo” indicators for setting input levels.
    I have the 2i2 and couldn’t be happier. I previously had a $500 Apogee but I much prefer the Focusrite.

Skully likes this.
  11. gabeNC

gabeNC TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I've been very happy with the Behringer 404 into Reaper.

tintag27 likes this.
  12. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

My Scarlett 2i2 crapped out on me after owning it for about 4 years. One channel started sounding out of phase. It wasn't cabling or anything like that, it was something internal in the interface.

I replaced it with an Audient EVO8 and I like it a lot.

13. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

I'm still trying to figure this thing out. And Cakewalk Bandlab is a beast. It's really nice to have physical buttons on the front instead of having to pull up another piece of software to activate features. Again, the 2i2 does have physical buttons, but the M2/M4 also have really great high resolution VU meters for inputs and outputs.

14. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

In that price range, and if you can get away with one mic pre and one DI, I think the best option is the Audient ID4. Bombproof, great converters, useful metering, and a cool multipurpose knob. Big fan.

15. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Couple of things, I bought the 2i2. I wasn't necessarily looking for "best". More like just one that fit my budget. I would've rathered spent the less money on the PreSonus but my drummer has one and I wanted to try something different so we can learn. I don't hear a lot of noise on his tracks. But obviously playing drums he doesn't need the levels overly high...... I guess maybe there could be better ones in the 160 price range. They weren't even on my radar....

I know the 57 may not do some things well. But I'm mainly using a 58 right now. Which is also borrowed. And I figured I should try the 57 to compare. I like the 58 but I do think a 57 MAY have some ability to do more highs... possibly. :) My drummer recently bought one and I thin his drums have a bit more brightness and realism to them over a 58.

Maybe eventually I'll get a real good mic. I also have an MXL990 on loan and honestly, I don't think it's better for anything in comparison to the 58 other than acoustic guitar. It definitely picks up more but like for vocals it feels like it's picking up more things I don't want. I suppose if I spent more time with it I may change my mind but to me it's way more picky about how far to stand, a pop filter causes it to lose a lot of what it does... but at the same time it picks up more low ends on my voice and I don't really want as much as it does. And it's way more sensitive to volume inputs. To the point that it makes it more difficult to not clip.

I've not used any of them a lot. I'm still a total novice. But that being said, I don't like the idea of working much longer with any of the borrowed stuff and being concerned about breaking it.

Maybe I will start looking into what is a good mic for acoustic guitar. Or I will be pleased with the 57 and never need another mic. LOL. Wishful thinking.

16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I picked up one of these fairly inexpensive , it has midas pres, inserts and will go 192 K and 4 chanels I have no complaints what so ever

behringer-uphoria-umc404hd-audio-interface.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  17. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm a Behringer fan too - I've been using the Behringer 202, and have been very pleased with it - and seeing how we have a lot of Julian Krause subscribers, here's another video...

24 track likes this.
  18. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I originally had an older PreSonus 1394, which I felt didn't have a great preamp. I replaced it with a Scarlett 2i2 and a Shure 57, which for a my limited skills and intentions is working well. I like the physical knobs and buttons on the Scarlett over the digital interface of the PreSonus.

Let us know how it goes.

19. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I will @Slim Chance. I plan to record on Saturday. Although I don't have vocals to do. Just bass. I guess I could do like I did one other time and do an XLR out AND a mic'd track. Yeah... that's a good idea. I liked the bass sound I got when I did that. Made the stereo track kind of full sounding.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.