1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Scarlett 2i2 for Christmas!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Bought my son the Scarlett 2i2 for Christmas. Incredibly powerful device in such a small package. Any tips/insight on getting the most out of it for playing guitar and doing simple recording, effects, etc?

2. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Watching this thread. I got one a couple of months ago and haven't cracked it open yet.

3. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Have a 2i4 Gen 2 that I bought a few years ago and need to learn how to use.

4. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

Please don't be offended by me stating the obvious, but the most important thing is to not push the inputs too hard. As a teacher, that's the number one mistake I see with students - too hot!

loopfinding and Buzzgrowl like this.
  5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

I record into Reaper, which is very cost effective. You can do literally anything with the Scarlett. Run direct in, run a mic.. it is awesome. I wouldn't dream of getting anything else, and it's only like 100 bucks.. Best deal ever.

This is just Scarlett, Reaper (with the built in reverb), a cheap condenser mic (Sterling Audio) and a guitar in my bedroom

you really ought to try it.. It, combined with the Reaper software, took me to a whole different level of recording.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

nice piece of gear enjoy it;
    I use the the Behringer UMC 404HD a little different in features but much the same and it works great

7. Jimi Some Moore

Jimi Some Moore TDPRI Member

The 2i2 is an excellent bit of kit, totally fit for purpose and great value for money IMHO.
    As has been said, best to run in it so the signal does not go into red and I suggest don't push it into yellow. I like the 'Air' setting this gives the recording more 'life'.

Buzzgrowl likes this.
  8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Keep the halos in the green and be sure that the input settings (line/instrument) are appropriate for their sources.

Buzzgrowl likes this.
  9. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

I'd add to the good advise so far, to suggest that installing the dedicated driver software, checking to see that it is the latest version, and learning how to set the buffers to find the "sweet spot" for glitch free playback/low recording latency is an important part of the early learning curve.
    Next, practice using your system on "scratch" projects until you become familiar with all the parameters and functions.

And I whole heartedly agree, one of the most common problems I see is excessive recording levels. Digital differs from tape in ways that make high levels not only unnecessary, but undesireable. On most any interface preamp setting- just occasionally momentarily going into the "yellow" works out to be about right. (More technical explanation available upon request)

Another common mistake- embarking on that "epic" project right off the bat.
    Practice. Gain experience. Delete some material and keep trying until you get past the inevitable confusion and frustration.

Let me know if theres something I can help with. I would certainly be happy to try. :cool:

10. Stanford Guitar

Did you guys buy the full version of ProTools or is the included version enough for what you're doing?

What are some of the guitar effects plugins you're using?

11. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have both a 2i2 and a 2i4, both first-gen. My 2i2 is presently on loan to a friend in Cleveland who wanted to get into home recording. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 3rd-gen 2i2 to see if the "Air" mode is anything. Reaper and a Scarlett are a great combination for a beginning DAW setup (or even an intermediate-to-advanced DAW setup).

My old college band have been collaborating on recording for the last few months. As MarkieMark says above, it's best to start with something simple instead of a epic project right off the bat, hence a few favorite covers. I recorded all my guitars through the 2i4; some direct, a few mic'ed. I also recorded backing vocals through it, and used it for playback as I did all the mixing. Drums, bass, keys, and lead vocals were all recorded remotely at other band members' homes. I think the bass player also uses a 2i2.

As you and your son get started with it, come visit us in the Recording In Progress forum, down in the "other" section.

tintag27 likes this.
  12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I use other DAWs, but out of curiosity I jumped through all the hoops to download the included ProTools program, and was instantly rewarded with a near-constant barrage of marketing emails from Avid. Consequently, I will never again touch any Avid product.

beagle likes this.
  13. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

I have used Pro Tools, (and many other of the popular DAW's)
    Pro Tools is expensive, complex and creates one of the steeper learning curves of them all IMO. Dont recommend it for beginners. If at all for that matter... And I dont care for the software ownership business model personally.

The recommendation of Reaper is good. Affordable, yet capable. It is fairly deep though and may not be for everyone.

Everyone seems to have a favorite and are evangelists for their "tribe"

For beginners and those on a tight budget, there is a lesser known brand that I find to be very intuitive and easier to learn than the many I have used. 'Acoustica Mixcraft recording studio'. I believe its on sale till the end of the month for about $50.
    It is very capable for getting started, if not sticking to it long term. What it lacks in advanced features, it makes up for in ease of use IMO.
    And they have some of the best customer support I have experienced anywhere.
    https://acoustica.com/store/mixcraft-9-recording-studio

Amp sim plug-ins are another area subject to rabid favoritism.
    I have demoed many.

First, dont expect the same experience as micing a good amp. Its different.
    That said, it can be fun to just pick some sounds and jam.

My favorite sounding is probably Amplitube. Drawbacks- price point, and a preset menu designed to guide you toward add on purchases.
    GT3 isnt bad. Pretty good user interface.
    Theres many others. Some seem more aimed at specific styles and genre, like say metal, etc.
    Amplitube5 with a Fender add-on pack is very popular.

14. Stanford Guitar

My son has ProTools student edition (full version for much less money) up and running along with the basic Amplitude and a few effects. Pretty awesome stuff so far.

15. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

just to play devil's advocate a little, clipping the inputs and provoking a DC offset can be super cool when you've got a fuzz or full on distorted signal running in, or something like a synthetic waveform. it sort of "carves out" the signal, or can get you "misbiased" sounds. i think that's the only time digital clipping sounds good. but yes, best not to do this all the time or unless you really mean it.

mindlobster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.