Scamming in the TDPRI classifieds?

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by jim_pridx, Aug 3, 2010.

1. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

I received kind of a suspicious email this morning, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever had any scamming issues when placing ads in the classifieds. Without naming the person, here's the content of the message:

Good Day ,
    Am (name) by name am interested in buying your Guitar..Please i will like you to e-mail me the details below What is the condition of the Guitar ??? What is your last price you are selling the Guitar for me ?? e-mail me the pics of the Guitar ??? I await your swift response.
    Regards
    (name)

The odd thing is, every question he's asked is quite clear in the ad with possibly the exception of my "last price." In addition, I'm wondering why he'd want the "details" and "pics" when he can simply take them off the ad? Your thoughts? Do I dare reply?
    [link removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010
  2. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    DO NOT REPLY

There are scammers every day contacting people from the Classifieds. It has gone on for years and we've posted warnings dozens of times. You should expect to be contacted by scammers EVERY time you place a classified ad.

You need to email me the username that they contacted you with so I can immediately ban that username.

FYI it most likely is a bot and not a person that sends the first contact email.

3. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, Paul! PM sent.

4. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Scammer was from Nigeria. He joined yesterday. He probably contacted dozens and dozens of people. His username was "phillip ray" though his email to Jim said he was "Phillip Kay".

If you got an email from either name IGNORE IT!

5. Sarrkazztic

Sarrkazztic Tele-Meister

Yep Nigerian scam.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.