1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Scammed music promoters/venues

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 41144, Nov 13, 2018.

1. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Was listening to Stuart McConie today on R6X (UK) and he was discussing an American artist who had scammed several music promoters over here. (If you can listen in to the whole story on the BBC iPlayer it's at around 80 minutes into the showI, I think)

The venues concerned weren't big players just small independent ones and it got me thinking if it's a common occurrence and that any promoters on this forum his be interested to hear about it.

The MO of the scammer (my term for him at least) whose name was something like Jarred or Jerad or somesuch (McConie is from upt' north and can be hard to hear sometimes :confused:) is that he accrued x thousand likes on Faceache, gazillions of followers on Instathingy and created fake reviews of shows he'd never performed etc.

To promoters over here all seemed OK, they booked him, although the venue's did'nt sell tickets directly and became concerned... he somehow rigged ticket agency sales and so they all proceeded with the bookings.

Now then, might be just a prank ... But, said venue's had also booked backing musicians, support bands, stocked up bars etc...only to have to cancel on the night. Result = venue's out of pocket, musicians/bar staff not being paid etc.

These were small independent venue's (which did all the correct checks available to them) which, over here at least, are constantly struggling to stay open ... So really disappointing as to why someone should create a fake profile like this.

I appreciate social media is a powerful tool ... But sometimes it can be all too easily used to dupe people :mad:

Also, mainly for us Brits .... On the same program .... Ladybird books are bringing out a " guide" to Brexit :lol:

2. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, there's something super dodgy about this guy's youtube.

I opened a few of his videos, and they autoplayed even with the video on pause. Weird!!!

O.k., got it to work so it doesn't autoplay. The music sucks pretty bad though, and it's not metal.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

This was mentioned yesterday in a post titled something like "how not to promote your band".

41144 likes this.
  5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

He brought his own backing band, and paid for venue hire in advance. The gigs they contracted they played apart from the one in Ireland, which was cancelled. The person most out of pocket is Threatin, and it's an odd scam that sees the scammer lose out.

The question is, why?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46179210

It sounds like rich kid megalomania to me.

Says the Brummy :lol:

41144 likes this.
  6. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Fake it til you make it? :lol::lol:

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting band....Not :rolleyes::lol:

8. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Nojazzhere. Thanks for that, I obviously missed it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for all that, just bears out what I said about listening to McConie … I could have sworn he said backing musicians were also hired. :rolleyes:

But seriously, I've loved listening to Radcliffe (get well soon Mark) and McConie since their late night R2 show and enjoyed McConie's books that much I went to hear him talk at the Town Hall a few years ago.

Finally, despite currently residing in Brum (an oft' maligned city) … I am very proud of my Nidderdale/Pateley Bridge heritage :cool: and am glad you took the "upt' north" nudge with the intended dose of humour.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  10. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Ah, so it was real apart from the fanbase? That makes sense.

The idea is to build up hype until it becomes real. It's been done in politics, we're not allowed to give examples though.

The music sounds too 90s to be popular today.

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

He should have got a few face tattoos and hired a sports car and hot chicks for a video shoot first. Maybe wear a funny looking hat and pants? That's how the pros in the music industry seem to do it these days. Kick the career off with a viral video, then worry about how you can pull it off live.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.