Scammed 30 Years After The Fact

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bparnell57, Mar 24, 2016.

1. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Well... I guess I got bit by the white van speaker scam 30 years after the fact. For those of you who don't know what this is, it's basically where guys dressed as audio installers show up in a parking lot in a white van with very nice looking A/V equipment that just happens to be "surplus" that they have to get rid of for pennies on the dollar. They even often have fancy brochures and catalogs for the products. Many nowaday's even have nice websites. Generally they're cheap equipment made to look very nice, so they can rip people off.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1458874644.265783.jpg

I bought a pair of these at the local goodwill after seeing an asking price of $300 for the pair on eBay. I realized, sure that's an asking price, but they're at least good speakers! Whoopee! $15 later and I had them in the car.

Dynamic Audio sounds like such a big name, but in reality it's just a rip off on dynaudio. I ignored the fact that they have just cone tweeters even though they claim 43-25k Hz response... Doh!

Anyways... They were cheap, they're in good shape, and they look great.

Now how do they sound...

Pretty good honestly. I like cone tweeters, since I've gotten used to antique radios and their dull warm sound. These puppies are honestly absurdly efficient. They claim 98 dB which sounds absurd for stereo speakers, but with my 22 watt per channel Sansui reciever, they're ready to peel paint at 2 on the volume knob.

The adjustable high range control works, the woofer's don't need new foam, and they look the part. I'll probably either keep them for my apartment im moving into in the fall, or try to trade them for some bookshelf speakers.

Anyone have an experience with a scam like this?

2. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I understand your problem, unfortunately the distributor for the 1901 series made a critical error in sourcing your speakers.

There is a solution though, for a prompt replacement of your equipment with the improved 1902 series design please send $100 via paypal to deytookerjaabs@usasucka.com

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Liquid Cooled! Is that even a thing for speakers??

4. D in Conduct

D in Conduct Tele-Meister

I bought a pair of Pioneer speakers in the late seventies. I don't know how good they sounded, since I didn't have anything to compare them to, but they looked impressive and were really heavy

xafinity likes this.
  5. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A bit like in the old days just prior to colour tv coming on line here in Aus., a few companies that manufactured black and white tvs had big transparent stickers attached to the front of the tubes saying "Colour Compatible".............which of course the dumbos read as "Colour Convertible" and they sold heaps . About a year later when colour transmissions actually began, people would ring up and ask when I could go out and "convert" their sets to colour...................Yeah right!!!!!

Also the one who was selling "colour spray" which you bought and sprayed on your antennae wire to block the mono and allow the chroma signal through to the TV.

There is always a scheme. "Anyone want to buy this rare Australian 2015 50c. coin? Only $150.00 a rare collector's special" Contact the seller here!!!

DC

6. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

Ferrofluid cooling is far from unknown for drivers, especially smaller ones - typically for tweeters.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  7. JayJ

JayJ Tele-Afflicted

IIRC Pyramid was a another company who did the fly by night sales.

8. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

If they sound decent.... for $15 you win regardless. I have no problem with cone tweeters ... actually, I prefer them for all but the most critical listening. About 6 months ago I went on the hunt for a decent set of speakers from the 70's.... like you, $15 later I was carrying out a nice set of 3 way Techniques that sound wonderful.

9. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I remember those guys from the late 1970s early 1980s, who would stop at our business parking lot. Yep it was always a van, and usually white in color. The guys were dressed well for the most part, and they were smooth talkers. Stereo equipment was their main gig, but they had other glitzy items as well. You couldn't help but think that the stuff they were hawking was "hot". We never bought anything from them. We acted like we were interested, just to jerk their chains a bit.

10. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Many years ago, one of my uncles was approached in a mall parking lot by a fellow who claimed he worked in an upscale home furnishings store there. He offered him a new, in-the-box VCR for the bargain price of $20. He was upfront about it being hot, and claimed that he was mistreated by the store, and this was his way of getting even with his manager.
    Cash was handed over, the seller disappeared. When my uncle opened the box a few minutes later, he found that he had bought a few bricks carefully wrapped in newspaper...

String Tree and Stringbanger like this.
  11. LPBlue

LPBlue Tele-Holic

I had the same deal attempted on me recently only today its tv sets. I was in Toronto and just reaching my car after some grocery shopping and a van pulls up behind me with 2 twenty-sumpin's in it and they start the pitch. I let them get as far as the "extra" tv that they had and I yelled at them to "get the ***k out of my way...NOW!". They looked really shocked and sped off to the mall across the street so I followed them. I got them on my dash cam the whole time and as we made our way (they didn't see me) through the place and their next stop was, of all places an electronics store and they were trying the same hustle on an employee of the store who was out having a smoke.

While they make the pitch I pulled up behind them and in addition to the dash cam footage, I got out and started taking pics of them, the van and the lic. plate. When they clued to what I was doing, they took off like they were running from a hail of bullets. The store guy asked if he could see the pics I took and I shared with him all of the needed details of the guys and their van and he called the cops. It seems these two were a bit of a local problem at the time but the only info anyone had up to that point was "two guys in a van". If I had the time I would have had no problem following them around all day ruining their scam. I love it when a scam falls to bits:D

12. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

That reminds me, after college I applied for an "ecommerce" job at a local warehouse. When I got in there the guy started talking about how "we got a lady to do the ebay stuff, but we still need help there. What I really need is someone who's going to push product, I mean, when we're overstocked I need a guy who's going to get in the truck and sell hard, a real sales position with growth."

I said "thanks for the offer but that's not what I'm looking for" and left.

I almost became that dude!

13. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

This thread reminds me of the time when a guy showed up at my front door with a freezer in the back of his pickup. He told me that the freezer was full of meat, that he was moving and was desperate to get rid of it, and would sell the whole thing for $40. I sent him on his way, and called the cops.

Turned out, he had broken into a house about three blocks away and jacked the freezer (of all things) and tried to sell it really quickly. The break in occurred 20 minutes before he showed up at my house.

Meth is a hell of a drug, kids.

14. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

The van guys were always circling the block when I was a student at Berklee with their tales of surplus speakers- but just like the hookers that used to call up to the dorms, they were fundamentally mistaken that any of the students had two nickels to rub together.

15. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

The longevity of this "scam" is amazing. Just last year I was approached by two guys in a van in a parking lot selling said speakers. I looked at them and said are you serious?

DW

16. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Yup, they are still around. A couple years back I come out of the bank and get in this and a guy comes over and asks if I want to buy a 'high quality car sound system' for $50. I fire it up and say, "Nope, only sound system I need is right there." while pointing at the pipe below my door. :)

Attached Files:

17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I was surprised a couple of years ago by someone at the door saying she was with a group of young people who were selling magazine subscriptions, where the one who sold the most was to receive some kind of cash prize. I first encountered that one in Oregon in 1971.

Don't mess with success, I guess.

18. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Techniques? Shouldn't that be Technics? You got scammed! ;) :D

codamedia likes this.
  19. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

i m confused... you got scammed $15 ??? that s a cheap lesson in my book... dunno..

bparnell57 likes this.
  20. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

The vans with speakers showed up in these parts somewhere between 86 and 89. I had read an article about them in the local paper, and less than a week later they showed up at the job we were working on. We sent them on their way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.