1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Scaling down - kiddy guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by LuckyJinx, Dec 13, 2020.

1. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

This half size is 480mm scale length. It's strung with 9s and tuned to A. With the pink Squier Mini for scale.

little.png

crazydave911 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  2. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx Tele-Meister

You know, this had been nagging at the back of my mind and suddenly it hit me: one octave up at full size tension is the 12th fret of a guitar; yes, I took a fairly long time to put 2 and 2 together.
    12.75" is a bit too short, though, "her" ukulele is 13.75" and the idea is to give her something a bit bigger, so I need to rethink this a bit. :oops:
    I'll probably shift to picking a scale (17.5 or 18", say), and doing the reverse calculation to figure out the tuning. Or just look at the bloody fretboard of one of the guitars and realise that's the 6th fret and go for either A or B standard. She will learn about capos eventually if she wants to play.

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

You could do the Vox thing like they did these, the scale length is a little more than 15 inches, I don't remember now. But it was tuned one octave up. I'm doing a similar build but 18 inch scale and tuning to A standard

Dave

4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry, forgot

received_377222876860048.jpeg

I do not like the two pickup arrangement here. The only use it has is the middle switch position gives a big humbucker. Why not install a single coil sized humbucker and be done with it lol

Dave

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I learned a little trick a while ago: you can buy a pre-slotted fretboard blank from like stewmac or somebody, and just whack a bit off and put the nut at the first fret and build a guitar with a shorter scale length (it's basically the same as capoing at the first fret). You could just as easily cut it at the 5th fret and tune it A to A (or the 7th fret). I kinda think going up a whole octave is going to ironically make it harder to play...

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

How about buying a Fender Tenor Tele, swaping the bridge and adding two tuners?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.