Scale/Mode Theory Questions

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Texicaster, Jun 21, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

That is an EXCELLENT QUESTION. Using a C major scale, the V is G. The
    V of G is Dm, not a good V7 chord, in fact it's minor so it would look like this
    v7.

So what people do is a style of playing that blues players and Grateful Dead players use.

When playing the V7 as a I7, it's then a common move to make the IV and V chords b7 as well.

So if G7 was our I7 chord we would get,,
    (G7 C7 D7) basically the I7 IV7 V7 blues chords in G.
    So blues the most popular scales are G minor pent
    and G major pent,

G Mixolydian is not how I would play over G7. I'd play G minor pent as my homebase. I could then add the major 3rd pents,

Example, minor pent into major pent and back into minor pent (etc ,,)
    - Clapton made his name with this kind of move.

G7
    ------------3--------------------------
    ------3-5----6-----------------------
    -3-4------------3-4--------------4-
    ------------------------5----2-3~3- etc,,
    ---------------------------5-----------
    ----------------------------------------

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Well, it was not at all my intention to jibe you and your understanding of CAGED as I understand that jibe means an insult.

Again I'm baffled, you say you haven't studied and learned the ins and outside of the CAGED, yet you say I insulted your knowledge.

I apologise if any of the way I write was misleading or too direct, writing is not one of my skills, and I'm happy you are digging into these topics.

Finally, however you use something like the CAGED is something I would celebrate and be happy for you.

3. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Sorry. Jibe doesn't mean an insult or at least that wasn't the meaning I was going after but now I see how that it could be misunderstood. I meant that it goes along with what I've come to understand about it. I should have said it resonates with me or struck a chord.

When I read your post, it was one of those "aha" moments but it was more of a "AHA! this is exactly what I've been coming to terms with... Thank god I'm on the right track!" moments.

Sorry about that.

4. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

It jives with what you know = good
    It jibes with what you know= very bad
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/jibe

But I get your point and I thank you much =)

awasson likes this.
  5. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

With regard to CAGED I think of mixolydian as a dominant scale. Makes visualizing the dominant chords using CAGED easier. All you're doing is thinking of the flat 7 in all the major scale triads you already know via CAGED.

6. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

When a harmonica player elects to play cross-harp, he selects a harmonica that is essentially going to be a Mixolydian scale ... playing in the key of G on a C harp. This is instructive in that, the harmonica player isn't playing in a scalar fashion. He/she is playing diatonic notes, but because the phrases are mostly based on drawing more than blowing, it doesn't sound like a C scale.

7. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Harp? I don't know, they're the guys I usually tell to shut up, because they play over everything, it's just a harmonica joke, true but just a joke.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.