Saying Goodbye To Nickel Frets

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Southpaw Tele, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I’ve been playing my Warmoth Jazzmaster for three years for about 6 hrs a week (play twice a week, plus practice and rehearsals). The frets from the neck are showing visible wear and there is enough fret left for a level and crowning (6230 frets on a 7 1/4” radius neck), but rather than spend the money on that, I ordered a new neck with 6105 stainless steel frets. I’ll sell the old neck for what I can get. I’m hoping I’m okay with the the taller frets, but I wanted a nice in between size to complement my Squier CV Tele without going medium jumbo.

As a lefty, I usually either buy cheap Squier and Fender models or use Warmoth and put together my own guitars. My next move is going to be another Jazzcaster to replace the Tele (I really love the Tele sound, hate the Tele body) and that will get SS frets, too.

Anyone else switch over to SS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgofaster likes this.
  2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Thinking about it. I have a battered sub $50 MIJ coming my way that I suspect needs a refret. For that price, I think I’ll practice a refret and considered going stainless steel... The 90s MIJ frets were so soft! However, I hear steel’s harder to work with?

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  3. Southpaw Tele

I think it is, but Warmoth doesn’t charge very much more to do it SS. It might rip up fret tools, though? If you do it, let us know how it goes!

Matthias likes this.
  4. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

I have EVO on a new acoustic and I love it and I have SS on a Warmoth neck. I normally wear the first few frets pretty quickly probably due to being heavy handed when chording and using a capo. Anyway, not a mark with EVO or SS. I've had the Warmoth neck for a long while too.

5. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

I leveled and dressed stainless frets a couple months ago (mainly for a little buzz and to take the height down off some nasty jumbos) and honestly it's no big deal for the occasional fret filer.

Southpaw Tele and Matthias like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I stopped using anything but Stainless Steel on refrets and new builds. Waste of time to do anything else.

This is probably the only Teisco Tulip in the world with Stainless Steel frets.

[​IMG]

I was surprised how this little 5.5lb guitar has such a big Jazzmaster sound out of those pickups.

7. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Me, too. I am done building/assembling though. Four Fender types are enough for me.

8. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Cheers! I’ll let you know how I get on.

monkeybanana and Southpaw Tele like this.
  9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I've been playing my Carvin for 34 years now and the frets are not all that bad. Since I probably won't be playing at the age of 102 in 34 more years, I think a nickel refret would be OK with me.

10. Southpaw Tele

Beautiful guitar!

11. PooTwang

PooTwang Tele-Meister

Love them! bends are so smooth

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

SS = too bright

13. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Join the SS club. I'll never buy another guitar that doesn't have 'em, or order a neck without 'em.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

D'you think Fender will offer them on production guitars?

15. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

The only tools stainless rips up are tools made for working with softer metals.

16. Southpaw Tele

I’ve heard that, but I run my Jazzmaster volume on the low end, which cuts my high end, so it won’t hurt to have a little top end back. Lots of ends here.

17. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

I am heavy-handed and wear the cowboy-chord frets rather quickly. Love SS frets, had 'em for over 10 years.

I have an old Tele, a Chi Hadean 335, a Warmoth Strat neck and a Morgan Monroe acoustic with SS frets.

I use them for heavy practice and playing and they are super tough frets. I find playing very difficult and have to practice seemingly easy grips and moves over and over and over. Lag between brain and left hand fingers.

Saves my Taylor, J45, '62 re-issue and others from getting used up too quickly.

I do the Ron Kirn fret levels on SS with cheap tools/sandpaper, No big deal, like an hour or so.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.