Say you want a Vox AC30 but you can't have one

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 1996Standard, Mar 4, 2015.

1. 1996Standard

1996Standard Tele-Meister

I would love to find a Pathfinder. I've been watching Craigslist for months. Nothing has come up in my area yet. Seen a few on Ebay but they go for a pretty fair penny on there. I wish Vox (Korg) would just wise up and start making them again.

2. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

I wonder if there were a mass lobbying campaign if Vox would make a 50W pathfinder with a ten inch speaker. The Valvetronix ended up being a bust with the snare drum hiss and the online retailers have been steadily discontinuing them.

I am sure that Vox will not simply give up solid state sales. The AC. .VR series is still out there but I don't think they appeal to many. Maybe the problem is margin on the low end amp versus competitive pricing, but it would be nice to see if a little consumer demand could get Korg to respond.

3. jimbach

jimbach Tele-Holic

How about a 15w Pathfinder with a 12" speaker? Imagine the usefulness and convenience.

4. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Say you want a Redhead but you can't have one? Will a Blonde do?

5. andrewt

andrewt Tele-Meister

I second the Mesa TA-15. The Vox channel is really excellent and it's so much more versatile than a real Vox. It's definitely gigable as well; I use it in a pop cover band with an open back 1x12 with a Greenback and it's a perfect volume set to 5 watts with the master volume disengaged for cranked overdrive, and set to 15 or 25 watts for cleans.

Or if you don't gig/don't need the extra features/don't want to spend as much, try the different AC4 models. I had the inexpensive AC4TV for awhile and it satisfied my Vox needs just fine. The 4/1/.25 watt knob is great for bedroom playing.

6. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Almost exactly what I was going to say, except that I have the 50. In hear the vox influence, but I don't hear the jcm 800 at all. Mine has a great clean channel but the drive channel isn't that great.

A tech once told me it was the ac 30 circuit with much cheaper components. I've never taken it apart myself and i don't know amp victims well enough to verify that.

My one gripe is that the input jack attaches directly to the board and is prone to breakage.

7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Dr. Z has many great amps in the EL84/celestion camp.

Can do Vox & beyond (but not cheap. 2nd hand amps can be had at a good price)

8. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

"I want a Vox AC30 but can't have one."

There, I said it. What do I win???

9. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

You, sir, are the only person here that knows how to read directions. I bow to you, sir.

10. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

He did a fantastic job of taking the first sentence nearly literally, but the OP did ask specifically:
    So we all did a good job reading the directions as well. Who's to know whether we said the required phrase as well? :)

11. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

Not only that, but I lied! :lol: I own an AC30 and love it.

My recommendation is, if you want an AC30, get one. TOO LOUD? Get an AC15. Still too loud? The AC4C1-12 or AC4HW may be worth a look.

12. 1996Standard

1996Standard Tele-Meister

I did try the AC4 with the 10 inch speaker a while back and did think it sounded pretty good. What about reverb though?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.