Say what, GC?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m not normally one to be down on GC. I’m really not. I understand their roll and the purpose they serve, and I don’t look for them to be anything other than what they are. But this here? This is ridiculous.

This is a screen shot of an email they just sent me. I shot them an email earlier today, asking how many of a certain guitar they have left. They are still listing it as “In stock and ready to ship”, but it is an older model and now out of production.

FD22DCAF-5F35-4A45-B49C-68E1921DA008.jpeg

I find this incredible. I mean, I’m glad they have some left. But how do they not know how many? And if they don’t know how many they have, how do they know if they actually have any at all? And who in hell’s bathroom is in charge of inventory control over there?

2. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

It looks an awful lot like Microsoft's documentation ...

... complete with the "was this helpful" question. Be careful, if you click "no", they will expect you to go to the effort of writing an actual answer, while they put in no effort to answer you.

JayFreddy, PhredE, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  3. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Are they even open? Usually the issue is that to know exactly how many they'd have to do an inventory. Inventory in the system is often not accurate.

OR... this is a common salesman's tactic to get you down there, because no matter what, they can sell you something.

Ebidis likes this.
  4. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's obviously a lie to get you to act. It's a lie, but it's a business lie.

5. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

Inventory may not be accurate, but has to exist so they know where to pick the item for shipping. If they know where to pick the item, the know how many they think exist. That would be the correct answer to the question

6. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

Ridiculous, they know exactly how many they have in stock, or at least are supposed to have in stock. That sounds like the old “you should probably just play it safe and buy one today” routine.

Mike SS, Ebidis and Jakedog like this.
  7. dogrocketp

dogrocketp TDPRI Member

They don’t know because their inventory fluctuates rapidly. The GC across the street has been closed for slightly over 2 months, with no one in or out. If I were you, I’d call the GC nearest you and cut them some slack. Be realistic, Covid is still a problem, in case you weren’t paying attention.

soundchaser59 and Switchy like this.
  8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I worked for GC. A long, LONG time ago. Back when it was still privately owned by the small handful of dudes that opened the first store when the Lowery Organ Center they worked for went out of business.

They were sticklers for inventory. Even me, a lowly guitar salesman, could look at any computer terminal in the store. From that terminal I could look up anything from fender medium picks, to a 59 burst Les Paul. Whatever I pulled up, I could see how many were in my store, how many were in the chain, which stores they were in, whether they had been sold and returned, if they were on layaway, anything and everything.

If anybody during the time I worked there had said “we don’t know how many we have” about any item, no matter how small, heads would have rolled.

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Its the 21st century version of protection. They dont want you to know, so their reply is the untruthful "I dont know". In business, its known as creative messaging.

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Times have certainly changed for the worse. These days it's a crap shoot if they can even find the correct case for one of the guitars on the wall. A couple of years ago I bought an Ibanez RG series from them. After about fifteen minutes of searching, the guy finally comes out of the back room with a proud look on his face, case in hand.

But it was a pretty darn nice case, much nicer than you would expect for a $1200 guitar. But the guitar fit perfectly, so I didn't say anything more and left. When I got home and took out the case candy, I discovered that the case was actually for a JEM guitar (the fairly pricey Steve Vai signature guitar). But's it's a darn nice case, so I'm not complaining.

11. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I was expecting the response to be: "Dude, they're flying out the door! You'd better hurry up and place your order now or you'll miss out on an awesome deal! Did you find this answer helpful?"

12. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

If they worry you that they may run out of them soon, then you'll order one right away. If they tell you that they have hundreds still, then you won't be tempted to act immediately. It's the old- Hurry, stock is limited, get yours now, before they're all gone.

13. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

There's never a reason to be smarmy.

14. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Ya may have gotten the new guy, Jakedog! =)

PhredE and Jakedog like this.
  15. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

"I didn't lie. I made an inoperative statement."

-Al Haig

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Did you take into consideration where they are located? There's a one in forty two chance that they might be working from home! :)

Jakedog likes this.
  17. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

If the stores been looted recently, that may explain the response.

18. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Better get one before they are all gone ! … soon ?

PhredE and Jakedog like this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

A GC in Portland,OR was apparently looted, so that might explain their lack of knowing their inventory numbers while they are assessing.

GC has really served their purpose well over the years. It is definitely on the downhill slope of their success. Sad.

djh22, PhredE and Jakedog like this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My question is, if businessmen would lie less, might this rub off on the rest of us?

Why are these people our role models? I mean, I had a business for 35 years and probably 99% of the lies I told, as an adult, in my whole life, were lies to wannabe customers. Just to get them to leave me alone, and find someone else to trouble, but still.

Texsunburst59, Jakedog and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.