Say a coworker put their hands on you in a threatening way...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Once when I worked for a New Holland dealership as a shop and field mechanic, the guy's in the shop hadn't had a raise in quite some time, and they informally elected me to be the spokesman for our group in asking the supervisor for an increase in our/their hourly wage. They all said, we'll be right behind you. On the day when we were to talk to the supervisor who had a pretty large office that would have easily accommodated our whole crew, when I walked into the office to talk to the supervisor about the money issue I looked back to see the entire bunch of them scurrying away like cockroaches! I went ahead and made my pitch, and told him that all of the crew were standing together which was pretty ridiculous since I was the only guy there.

In the end, the supervisor did negotiate us a raise from the owners, actually in the amount (I/WE?) asked for. What this has to do with the OP? It just points out that to me, you're pretty much on your own no matter what your coworkers tell you. Someone could have seen BT getting his neck stroked and when it came time for them to tell the HR people what happened, in all likelihood that yellow streak would have opened up down their back, and they would have been very glad to have taken the precaution of wearing depends that day.

Most of my life, even though I worked for a lot of companies, I was lucky enough to mostly work alone as regards to others in the companies I worked for. When working as a mechanic, I was usually an outside guy, or a combination of inside/outside. When I worked construction, I was always an outside guy, the same with trucking. When I finally worked at a job where I had some interaction with my fellow workers, I had learned to cope much better and had a successful fifteen year run there.

The one notable exception I had was that I did a three and a half year stint as a tractor shop foreman. That required my interacting with people all day long. I can't tell you what a relief it was when I left there and started driving a truck where I could get back to being on my own again. Like old Merle said. He who travels fastest goes alone.

El Tele Lobo and Owenmoney like this.
  2. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty sure I read all your posts in this thread and I have to say, and I say this with the utmost respect. You sir have a bright future in politics.

getbent, william tele and Owenmoney like this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

getbent and JeffBlue like this.
  4. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

THANK YOU SOULGEEZER, this was my point completely. If you go to the authorities, you have to go the whole way. By not naming the guy, that was why I said he was backpedaling.
    I really want this to work out in BTs favor, but like you said, he needed to follow through and name the guy.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

@soulgeezer, I can still identify the coworker by name.

But once that's done, there is no taking that back.

I totally get the thought of "well, why'd you say anything, then?" As I've tried to relate, it was during the course of a routine call from my contracting company representative. It was still quite fresh and I'd not processed it yet, and i pretty much said "well, I'll tell you how things are going..." and proceeded to relate the incident, without naming the individual. Which of course set the machine in motion.

I do regret having said anything, as I've stated previously. I get that a lot of people don't understand that. I'd been doing a lot of reading of this book prior to the incident

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/132153.The_Sayings_of_the_Desert_Fathers

and i believe that having done so influenced me to try to keep my colleague from the pitfalls of his own hastiness, temper, and foolishness. I do understand that where I'm at currently with this, I may have created some foolishness of my own that there may be consequences for me to pay for

6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Like I said, I hope it works our for you with as little agita as possible. Knowing that you screwed up doesn't make dealing with the fact that you screwed up any easier, y'know?

7. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

When you stand up for something you more than likely stand alone ! Been there don’t that ! People are always the problem. Always ! There are very few people who you can really trust.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. blowtorch

Not likely , since I consider most all of them to be swindling shysters

william tele and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

I could always trust Toto, but he's gone now, so...

Owenmoney likes this.
  10. blowtorch

This, I will agree with you on.

11. Toto'sDad

I appreciate your position, and if I were able to do anything about it I would. I do agree with those who suggested doing so, you should have named the guy who you had words with. It probably reflects badly on you, and in the end, if the guy is a horses rear, won't make any difference in the way he acts in the future. You will have fallen on your own sword for naught.

Owenmoney likes this.
  12. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

For the people having trouble reading this thread...

Blowtorch, please show us on the doll where the bad man touched you.

Colo Springs E and Wallo Tweed like this.
  13. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

The thing about not naming the co-worker is this: as a contractor, you have next to zero rights as regards the company you are working for, in particular no grievance procedure. The company is under no obligation to help you as they would if you were an employee. As regards the co-worker however the company will have powers, as his employer, to take action against him as he will have infringed his contract of employment through gross misconduct.

So for this reason, not naming the co-worker means the company cannot do anything, as they cannot take disciplinary measures against an unnamed individual.

14. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I’m sorry for you loss Toto’s Dad, I recently lost my horse after 24 years together. Sometimes your animals are closer than most people. I trust my wife and I always trusted our animals !

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. soulgeezer

TDPRI Archaic Sentence of the Week! :D

LutherBurger, JeffBlue and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. blowtorch

I'm hoping this to be the case.

17. soulgeezer

Here's the part that sucks -- I'm pretty sure you said there was CCTV somewhere in the area. That, together with any investigation that involves witnesses who may have seen or whom you may have told, is probably going to end up with the guy being identified without your cooperation. That will reflect very poorly on you. Alternatively, if they can't ID the guy and he does it again to someone else, it will come to light that this was the same person that you non-reported and that will also reflect badly on you.

There are other permutations. Unfortunately, you don't come off well in any of them.

Just give up the guy's name. It isn't worth the hit you could possibly take to protect him.

18. Toto'sDad

Thank you sir, as one who tries diligently to be firmly ensconced in the past, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your noticing.

soulgeezer likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Thank you sir. I do understand about horses my bro in law is a cowboy, and used to compete in calf roping. I do trust my wife. My wife said the other day about Toto, he was a little human who happened to be dressed up in a dog suit. I agree, and I miss him no less today, than the day he left.

william tele likes this.
  20. blowtorch

I'd thought there was, as it turns out, that is apparently not the case.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.