Say a coworker put their hands on you in a threatening way...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay, here's the deal, I like Blowtorch, I don't like the other guy. I'm with Blowtorch on this deal, I don't like the other guy 'cause he's misusing his elevated status at work to bully at least Blowtorch and probably others. So there, phllllaaaattttt!

2. Toto'sDad

I think I must have channeled Toto for my post above.

3. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

i was gonna say.....i think Toto would have bitten him.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks for that william tele. But what I've bolded from what you've said above, is easily misconstrued as "blowtorch has expressed he felt pain or impending flurry of violence", which simply didn't happen. I did not appreciate his hand on my throat, but I didn't feel afraid or intimidated.

Just another example of how things are very easily misunderstood (not saying you necessarily misunderstood me)

william tele likes this.
  5. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Next time..........with the opponents' hands on your throat........(while your hands are free).........administer a 2 hand one knuckle punch to the temple on each side of his' head simultaneously. With any luck, he'll have no memory of any altercation.

LutherBurger likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

A distinct possibility!

7. blowtorch

"Next time..........with the opponents' hands on your throat........(while your hands are free).........administer a 2 hand one knuckle punch to the temple on each side of his' head simultaneously. With any luck, he'll have no memory of any altercation."

Thanks, I'll file that one along with the others in the cringe-ja file

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  8. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

everyone should watch that one episode of andy griffith where barney gets a tiny scratch on his finger.
    by the end, the news had spread and everyone thought he had accidentally shot himself.

edit.....season 1 episode 15

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

He went to his supervisor, he’s a contractor, and his supervisor went to the company’s HR or management and both want him to give the persons name, he won’t, so in essence, he has no backtrail, no proof, so he’s sort of made himself even more expendable by not naming this guy. So now this guy can have free rein over Blow Torch. There’s no proof anything ever happened. The company can just say he never named anybody so how would we ever know who it was if something else ever happens with this guy who either threateningly put his hand on BTs neck or throat or was politely being whatever.

10. blowtorch

The above statement is erroneous on a few counts.

I'm not going to bother to explain which things are inaccurate and which are correct, because it doesn't matter anyway, since most everyone will hear what they want to hear, and interpret it the way the want to interpret it.

If anyone is interested in what actually happened, I suggest they go back and read what I've actually said happened. I was there, I would think I'd be the authority on it. o_O

11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I feel for your son! I seldom give out group projects. I'm only forced to because the standards require a certain amount of work must be done so. Truthfully, I have low opinion of teachers that do a lot of group projects. They're being lazy and don't want to grade a lot of individual work by my observations.

12. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Yeah, now I'm wondering if the hand on the neck is more like the massage that Javier Bardem gives a bound James Bond in Skyfall?

Which is equally distressing coming from another dude in work environment.
    Maybe it was the sort of throat touch that Javier Barden gives a bound James Bond in Skyfall?

Owenmoney likes this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Glad it’s never happened in my lfe.
    Though I have been involved in an altercation or 4, no co-corkers, or even aquaintences were involved.
    I like to (somewhat) proudly state, I’ve never hit anyone I know.
    To me, violence shows complete and utter lack of respect.
    I did charge my last ex-wife with assault, thrice.
    I never returned fire.
    Long time ago, like 1996.
    Anyways, I cannot remeber the last time I squabbled with anyone.
    Hope my luck holds.

william tele and Owenmoney like this.
  14. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not judging; just curious. Did you go to the supervisor and refuse to give the offender's name? If so, I don't understand why you would go to the supervisor at all.

Again, not judging. Just trying to understand. This thread is really long and it's gotten very convoluted. So, as you suggested, I'm going to the source.

Did it happen as described in my first paragraph? If not, what did happen?

Owenmoney likes this.
  15. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

But your words said he put his hands on you in a threateningly way, that’s where all the misconstrued comments are coming from. You distinctly said threatening way . And you also said his hand was on your throat. This is why you got the quote unquote testosterone laden comments from. You didn’t say anything about it being politely until somewhere around the late 300 comments.

Quite frankly, I think most of us were seriously trying to help you. Whether we said deck him, go to HR, the Police or your Supervisor. Those were all options. However, once you go to an authority figure of some kind but refuse to name names, you’ve lost all credibility.

Now either your supervisor or the company’s can see you as the troublemaker. That’s just the way it unfolds. If this guy crossed the line, then it’s his problem. However you also said you called him on something he did that affected you job negatively, which could be perceived by him as you coming after him.

I’m trying to be impartial here, I want to be on BTs side, but , there’s three sides to every story, In this case there’s BTs and the other guys and the truth which is usually somewhere in the middle. And perception is reality, it’s BTs reality and the other guys reality also.

16. blowtorch

The "politely" comment was very early on in this thread, and it was in regards to what I'd said to my co-worker, that sparked this incident.

I frankly feel like I'm banging my head against the wall in trying to explain this, and other aspects of it, to you

24 track likes this.
  17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

were you drinking lemonade when you wrote that?

I thought so!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

remember you dont have to justify anything to any one!

19. blowtorch

I'm not going to type it up yet again. I've already explained this all, in detail, right here
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/say-a-...a-threatening-way.866955/page-20#post-8579535

20. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for that -- I appreciate not having to wade through the entire thread.

I hate to say it, but I think you played it wrong. If you weren't willing to name the offending party, you shouldn't have said anything at all. Now, he's off the hook and both companies are trying to figure out why you'd put them in a position of having a potentially dangerous employee on the floor. That could be a major legal liability for them and I'm sure they're not happy about being placed in that position.

Whether you felt threatened or not, the offending party crossed a line that he likely to cross again with other employees and the company has to deal with it. If you don't name him, then the possibility of you being dinged for filing the report and refusing to name him becomes very real.

I understand you can't take it back, but once you start down the path of reporting, you have to go where it takes you. It's not up to you to decide whether or not the guy is dangerous. He made a threatening gesture. It's a very short walk from that to actual threats and violence.

You've created a legal liability for the companies involved. They can't be happy with you at all and I really hope it doesn't bite you on the behind going forward.

Either way, you've now lost any credibility when it comes to reporting. If it happens again, why should they take your word for it?

This is a bad situation. I hope you find an amendable way through it.

El Tele Lobo and Owenmoney like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.