Say “No” to drugs!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 17, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My strong belief is most physicians like most first responders are within the better than average among us with passion to do the best for people. We should be careful about labeling all or many because of a few.

Closer to topic, I love pleasure but have been able to manage strong prescriptions and now with age have some issues where I sure value an occasional pain pill even though they're not so agreeable and diazepam for back problems. With a good patient and caregiver relationship a bottle of each can last more than a year. When I do take them it makes a major difference as far as keeping my job and life functions. In most cases those drugs you can abuse are the ticket for some healing, sleep or allowing anti-inflammatory meds to work.

I'm sorry that I have no good answers for people who are quick to have an addiction problem but a good physician relationship helps.

On criticizing doctors, my nephew's research area is better pain management. His wife's is understanding nervous system issues more to help that. He was honest that he doesn't have good bedside manner but was so serious about helping people that he changed to a different practice area while in med school. On a team that handles the most difficult surgery cases he jokes he doesn't need bedside manner. He says his group often just says WTF when they face the terrible scenarios that come from the helicopters, ambulances or other critical care areas.

I also try to temper my criticism because other high earners do ridiculous stuff by comparison.

2. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

ibtl...

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Intellectually, I understand just what you mean.

I just believe I have seen, in my lifetime, 5 or possibly 8 people who took drugs when they shouldn't have, for every one person who refused drugs prescribed to them and had a straight line negative impact from that decision. In fairness yes I am excluding people who had prescriptions for drugs for psychiatric conditions - I just don't have enough facts on that one.

+

I prefer to look at this from 30,000 feet and say to the Society as a whole, if men and women who know their offspring will need to take substantial amounts of drugs to have a conventional, normal life, and they have kids anyway, I just wonder what the human race will look like in 250 years.

If that won't lock the thread, I don't know what will.

Taking steps in the direction of more drugs and more drugs, on a case by case, one day at a time basis without looking at the whole picture, reminds me of the trope about men with their wives, who are lost in a city they don't know and they keep driving, but quite slowly, hoping that somehow they will end up headed in the right direction.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  4. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

cop-any-drugs-or-alcohol-in-the-vehicle-me-no-14883609.png

Axegrinder77 and boris bubbanov like this.
  5. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

When I was in. The hospital they gave me Dilaudid, and I too was mightily constipated. Also instantly habituated, and when I got home they gave me prescription for Dilaudid pills but I threw them away. A man, has to know his own limitations.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, I started on the Metamucil right away.

7. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Everyone is a unique person, some may die with out their meds. Some may go psycho without their drugs.

Yes to the meds that allow them to live.
    And of course, NO to the abuse.

But I want to focus on the person that truly needs their meds, if the meds work break down the beaver-dam and get them to the person/patient.

MilwMark likes this.
  8. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Naturally you said it well,

MilwMark likes this.
  9. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

If I'm injured I'll go to the medics for sure, they're great at patching up injuries, but for dis-ease generally not, they are trained to push profitable meds that mask the symptom but don't address the root problem and end up making you more unhealthy and then dead.

LGOberean likes this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My wife ( due to real health compromises, from to years of untreated diabetes) was in this situation in 2016 and antibiotics saved her life.

But I see OP point about not abusing ( of course no one sets out to abuse, but it happens) , or trying alt. pain relief paths.

11. BigDaddyLH

Your doctors are trained to push profitable meds? Asking from Canada.

12. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

And you know that from Karen on Facebook?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  13. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Perhaps by “drugs” you mean “pharmaceuticals with the potential for dependency or addiction”. In that case, I agree with your basic premise for several unrelated reasons.
    However, pain is difficult to quantify. When postoperative pain from major surgeries requiring general anesthesia goes under treated it can have potentially adverse effect on healing and recovery. Hormones like cortisol and adrenaline are stimulated, insulin is inhibited. These adversely effect tissue healing, cardiovascular and immune system function.
    A good surgeon knows this.

No one wants to create addiction but treating the pain, just like nutrition, antibiotics, if needed, is part of recovery.

IMHO just “Take the pain” is not a good idea.

stevemc likes this.
  14. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I used recreational drugs as a teenager and I have no regrets about that. I tried opioids just a couple of times and LOVED them, but knowing how addictive they are, after my second time I promised myself I’d never touch them again, and I stuck to that. I tried cocaine several times and each time I got a sinus infection pretty much right away, and I didn’t like it that much anyway. So that was never a problem. But I smoked tons of weed for a few years and did psychedelics quite often and I loved it all. I had a couple of somewhat weird trips, but they were at least interesting, and most of them were awesome and opened up my mind in ways I don’t think would have happened otherwise. Both of my daughters had pretty similar experiences and they’re wonderful adults, so pretty sure they wouldn’t do it differently, if they had it to do again.

And now I’m 60 and have insanely high cholesterol (heredity) and my cardiologist assures me any dietary changes would just be background noise. I can’t handle statins so I take an injectable every other week and my numbers are OK. I have high BP that’s well managed but took a while to find the right combination of drugs. Some pretty nasty side effects until we got it right. And I’ve been asthmatic my whole adult life and take a combination of inhalers, nasal sprays, and pills, and most days I feel quite good. And some days I cough and hack my way through.

I’d have to say drugs have been an enormous net-positive in my life, so I say yes to them far more often than I say no. I’d have been dead a long time ago without em...

15. BigDaddyLH

Conflating recreational drugs with medication is like confusing magic mushrooms and portobellos.

Boubou and Mechanic like this.
  16. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Ok I’ve read this entire thing. There’s a lot to be said for both sides of the discussion.
    Just 6 months out from liver transplant, I couldn’t have gotten thru it with out some pharmaceutical help. You say liver, alcohol gave you a serroccis of the liver. Nope! My family is a bunch of alcoholics, I can’t touch the stuff. Nasty, weird drunk, learned that in my teens. Not Hep A, B, C, or the others they don’t tell you about. Diet? I crave salads veggies, fish, poultry. Pork and beef who’s going to pass that up, I just don’t have as much as everyone else. What caused the end of my liver? They can’t tell me and don’t know. Just to categorize and justify the expense to insurance and Medicare, fatty liver disease.
    My wife has relaps remitting MS. Pain, numbness, random gravity checks. Drugs for this have so many side effects she’s been barefooting it for 30 years. Only relief she gets is from cannibus. My sister has nerve damage from cancer surgery, again cannibus. Not being an advocate just pointing out a few things here.
    My regimen is an immuno supresant, otherwise my body would attack the recycled liver. A thyroid med, Previcede for a hiatal hernia. Magnesium and Iron, potassium just to aid my body to heal and function.
    Going through sleep aids right now. Warm milk, melatonin, Trazodone, then doubled down. Wish I could have an editable, Nope! Being immuno suppressed my body can’t combat molds and fungus in pot.
    I do sincerely believe we control thru genetics, diet, exercise and sleep, how our bodies function.
    To give a blanket statement,”all drugs are bad” is wrong.
    I quit abusing alcohol, pot, and a few others as I wanted to focus on my career as a mechanic and my family.
    And that not to say I don’t use alcohol, to me my Marinara is bland without it. Rum cake, you can eat it just don’t drink it. Give me a drunken chicken on a Sunday. I’m going to try a bourbon BBQ sauce on the next brisket I do (in moderation of course ).
    Some one above that all guitarists are abusers is wrong as well.
    Thanks for letting me rant.

jimash likes this.
  17. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Drugs have saved lives, and taken lives. Both illicit and prescribed.

Use common sense folks!

MilwMark, LGOberean and Boubou like this.
  18. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Seriously, you can get edibles made from oil . Pharma quality gummies cookies whatever. I can give you a url. Just message me.

19. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Okay, I've gone back and re-read my OP. I haven't changed my views that started this thread in the first place, but I admit my initial wording didn't take into consideration the personal issues many might be going through. I should have known that this would be a sensitive subject, and if broaching it all, I should have tread more carefully. Believe it or not, I was trying to say something that I consider to be a reasonable admonition that would be helpful to people in general. I just didn't say it very well. Sorry.

Generally speaking, this nation is in far greater danger of drug dependency than "pharmaceutical deficiency." For crying out loud, pharmaceutical companies are allowed to market directly to the consumer via magazine and TV ads, for drugs that people can't get without a doctor's prescription. Tell me that's not a scam.

Look, I'm just saying there's a problem. A general problem, not a case specific one, so I wasn't speaking directly and specifically to your situation, or your family member's. I made a generalization, addressing a general attitude and approach to health. I didn't say your doctor was a pill pusher, I said "many" are, and I truly believe I am right about that. And I wasn't even speaking primarily about the motives of said "many doctors." It's the "medical mindset." It's how they were trained. The prevailing attitude is "medical science" has the answers, that there is a pill for what ails you, and if you suffer symptoms or develop a collateral condition due to that pill, there's another pill for that.

20. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

No, I know that from watching my best friend die.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.