Say “No” to drugs!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 17, 2019.

1. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not such a bad mug. You could pass for William Lee Golden! :lol:

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Opiods are one thing, Statins and Blood pressure drugs are another.

There seem to be clear cases where Statins and Blood Pressure drugs are required for a person for whatever reason... sometimes genetic, sometimes being unwilling to change lifestyle.

But there are sketchy things about both types of drugs... they are the type of drug that makes the most money for the drug companies. They don't cure anything, they become "required maintenance". The Doctor says "Here take this every day for the rest of your life." With a drug like that the company stands to make billions the more people they can get on the drug. So there's a pressure to constantly lower the bar for who needs to be on it. They definitely have done this with Statins... the cholesterol #s that make the doctor want you on it have come down. If the drug companies can influence a study here or there they can lower that # and millions more people start having to buy their drug for life.

And the more drugs the doctor gets you on that you supposedly need the more side effects and interactions start to stack up...

The drug companies have 0 interest in producing a new type of statin or blood pressure drug that you take for 2 weeks and it cures you for life. That'd win someone Nobel prizes but it wouldn't pay out billions for decades.

We have a shortage of new types of vaccines for the same reason.. no money in something that you take 1-5 shots of and you never get sick. It's way better for the bottom line if you get sick and they can sell you a drug that you keep taking long term and it alleviates the symptoms but doesn't cure you.

LGOberean likes this.
  3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

My approach to drugs for pain is best summed up by a quote from The Princess Bride: "Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." :twisted:

I only take aspirin because of my heart, as a blood thinner, never for pain. For me, this applies to more than just headaches. (And I’ve had some doozies.) I broke my pinky toe on my right foot a few years back, now it looks like the letter “s.” Not so much as an aspirin. Maybe I just have a high threshold for pain or something.

Back to the heart attack I had five years ago (it didn’t hurt, either, which surprised me), and the quadruple bypass surgery two days later. Of course, I was under anesthesia for the surgery, and I don’t know what they had me on in the days following (they’re pretty much a blur to me now). But when they released me from the hospital with a prescription for drugs for post-operative pain, I didn’t bother to fill it.

Again, this approach of mine has its limits, for obvious things such as that anesthesia for surgery. And I’m a diabetic, so I take a 500 mg tab of Metformin each day, and a 325 mg coated aspirin as per my cardiologist’s orders. But that’s it. Everything else I try to do as naturally as I can.

With my doctor’s encouragement I’m trying to get off the Metformin. The doc has already changed my prescription several times, from three 750 mg tabs per day five years ago, down to the aforementioned 500 mg tab I take daily now. My last A1C was barely in the pre-diabetic range. As for my cholesterol levels, same deal. No drugs, just diet and exercise.

4. LGOberean

:lol:

I've gotten that one before. I've been called the Fifth Oak Ridge Boy!

8barlouie likes this.
  5. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm of the opinion that some drugs should never (or almost never) be taken - such as opioids. Others such as curative drugs - think antibiotics, anti-viral, anti-fungal - should definitely be taken when the doc says so. There's little chance of abuse. Then there are for lack of a better term "maintenance" drugs such as for high blood pressure, cholesterol, some mental health problems. These may have natural remedies, or may not, case dependent. You've got to work with your providers to make these temporary if possible. The original post came off as too "broad brush" to me. I get the intent, but like anything else it's not black and white.

6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was administered Demerol. When I had my gall bladder out. The nurse came in with a syringe of it and injected directly into my IV and whammo! Pain gone! Fells real good, too. I can see how people get hooked on stuff like that. They took me off it shortly after. Not because they thought I would get hooked on it, but because I wouldn’t shut up. I got really chatty on it and I think the nurses liked me better when I was groaning in pain. :lol:

stevemc, scrapyardblue and elihu like this.
  7. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Mine too. No Opiates.

8. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Thanks for the clarification. Are you saying you didn't have high cholesterol or high blood pressure before you had a heart attack?

I agree that diet and exercise are better than drugs but it isn't always that simple.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

YMMV. I was given demerol after an operation and it worked great -- I wasn't even chatty :lol:

Was taken off it later, not addicted. Constipated, but watcha gonna do?

If folks have addiction issues with opiates, that's a different story.

jimash and 8barlouie like this.
  10. LGOberean

I have no idea what my cholesterol and blood pressure numbers were before my heart attack. Up to that point, I hadn't been to a doctor for anything in decades. I'm saying that my cholesterol levels and such were not the result of a lack of pharmaceuticals in my blood stream, but due to my own lack of exercise and bad eating habits.

11. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

There are no more superstitious animals than guitarists. I kid you not. Not even my dogs. Firstly, guitarists are prime abusers of chemicals. Then, when and if they get off of them, they propound to the world that all meds are bad. :D

There are medical situations in this world that put people in a position where they must take medicines, and yes, medicines of all types. For instance, I have a relative who has chronic migraine. Not chronic "migrianes," as in several in a given period, but migraine, all-day, every-day, 365 days a year. There is no cure. There is no simple behavioral issues that led to it. This is a genetically passed condition. There are many therapies but few are successful with the chronic syndrome. So this relative must stack several pain management and preventative therapies in order to have any life at all. What kind of life? This person makes no plans. She has no idea whether or not on a given day she will feel good enough to fulfill them. She can work a band of six to eight hours of work and then she is done, DONE, and caves in feeling bad enough that she can't do anything more. She approaches her meds very technically, always taking less than she might to demonstrate that she isn't addicted. Nevertheless, she is cheerful and upbeat and has a productive and meaningful life serving others.

All the popular horse hockey about meds and opioids always being bad doesn't help her position one bit or make her burden any lighter.

Bob

stevemc likes this.
  12. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

The big mistake was not seeing a doctor in decades. A doctor would have recommended diet and exercise. Knowing that old habits die hard, he would have prescribed Lipator until your exercise and diet reduced your cholesterol. If you didn't improve your diet and exercise, Lipator may have prevented your heart attack and your need for bypass surgery.

Congratulations on improving your diet and exercise. Not everyone is as successful with that and for some of them drugs like Lipator is saving their lives.

13. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I don't have a problem with drugs, I have a problem with the police.

stevemc and LGOberean like this.
  14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, but you’re wrong. It’s a risk-benefit deal. Without meds I will have a stroke. I’m taking my meds. There is no natural way to manage it. The benefit outweighs the risk.
    I’ve had three surgeries in the past year. I took one dose of an opioid. I handled the rest with Tylenol.
    I have a skin condition. I could take a medication but i would more susceptible to infections so I won’t consider it. The risk outweighs the benefit.

BigDaddyLH and MilwMark like this.
  15. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

After my last car accident I used acupuncture instead of pain killers and I'm glad I did.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This thread veers from uninformed to dangerous and back again.

Diet does not cure or manage Type 1 diabetes. And it is irresponsible to suggest otherwise.

Diet does not change or cure hereditary high cholesterol. And it is irresponsible to suggest otherwise.

There are a host of similar conditions and drugs.

There is a massive false-equivalency in this thread.

Some legal drugs can be avoided. I'll leave the "should" to you, your priest (so to speak) and your conscience.

But the OP conflates that with drugs that can't and shouldn't be avoided.

17. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm 57 and have a ton of physical problems, but I don't take medications.
    I would if it was REALLY necessary...like, I took antibiotics for Lyme.
    A new doctor recently tried to prescribe me a pain med for chronic pain and I declined.
    She asked me about my history and feelings about medications.
    I little incredulously, she said, "You don't take ANYTHING?"
    When I answered in the negative, she looked me in the eye and sort of quietly, almost conspiratorially, said, "That's good."
    I called her on it and asked why, if she thinks it's so good, does she prescribe (over-prescribe) meds.
    She pretty much dodged the question.

boris bubbanov and LGOberean like this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm with you, drugs as a last resort, but I have learned after 6 months of doing everything possible that my DNA was too strong to overcome high blood pressure without meds. I have yet to take any antibiotics, flu shots and the like, but as I age, I am becoming an Ibuprofen fan.:cry:

I now appreciate modern medicine to give my 90 year old dad a very normal life after 50 years of BP medicine, four different pacemakers and a bovine heart valve. He takes a bevy of meds 3 to 4 times daily. He just purchased an electric chainsaw to keep clearing the back 40.

As a former ultra athlete, I feel the need for some pain just to prove that I'm alive. If I am not sore somewhere, it probably means I'm not living as full of a life as I should be.

Nevertheless, both me and my dad eat very healthy and get regular daily excercise.

19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

There isn't a lot I say "NO" to. But I guess I'm lucky (so far), I'm able to limit myself in all things. Never have understood the "I wish I didn't do that ..." .....then DON'T!

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah I try to research issues that a doc would write a scrip for, as well as being totally off recreational drugs (including alcohol) for more than 20 years.
    Tough road though and many are selling alternative cures that don't really work.
    But in fairness, big pharma sells cures that don't work too.

For pain I've had to accept constant tylenol and aleve every day, but also take a turmeric supplement as well as numerous food based anti inflammatory choices including support for the liver and kidneys processing OTC pain meds.

Contrary to popular belief, opiates don't kill pain better than advil/ tylenol/ aleve etc, they just make you not really care about the pain.

My friends in the food groups are massive amounts of garlic, fresh ginger, curry, coconut milk and EV olive oil, fish oil, raw leafy greens, fresh lemon juice in salad dressing...

A half a melatonin helps me sleep without repeatedly turning over to try to fix the constant neck pain that makes sleep challenging.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.