Say “No” to drugs!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Oct 17, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

That’s pretty much my default response to pretty much any pain, malady or physical condition.

This approach started for me more than 40 years ago. I abused drugs as a teenager, and when I got clean, I swore off everything. Later, I discovered how much Big Pharma and many physicians are the real drug pushers and dealers of our time. So that only strengthened my resolve.

Granted, this approach has its limits. I had quadruple bypass surgery five years ago; obviously I didn’t tell the surgeons to work without anesthetizing me. But when we’re talking about coping with pain, or dealing with maladies and conditions like cholesterol or glucose levels, natural is better, drugs are a (dangerous) last resort.

Who’s with me?

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I find that too much of a general statement.

Suppose you're dying from a bacterial infection. Would you say no to antibiotics?

3. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

For what? Why would I want to endure any kind of pain, even slight, that I don't have to? "Gimme drugs" is my approach when dealing with doctors. So long as the insurance covers it.

There are exceptions to my approach too. I had vertigo once and got prescribed a bottle of these super duper strong antihistimines. I took one and was dopey for the whole weekend. But one I took got rid of the vertigo, so all was well.

jimash likes this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

Stay off the scooter. Once you decide that’s how you get around, you’ve started the countdown...

G.Rotten, Deathray, getbent and 3 others like this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

My daughter is getting a masters degree in mental health counseling. The site she is working at has a saying: "Pills don't teach skills." Very appropriate.

Sometimes you need a med to get through something. But to your point, you should never take something to prevent you from having to change habits. That I agree with. Sometimes you will still need the help from pharmas, but we should all be doing what we can to stay healthy.

stxrus, G.Rotten, Deebs3 and 4 others like this.
  6. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Drugs that reduce cholesterol and blood pressure could have prevented you from requiring heart surgery and could prevent you from needing future heart surgery. Chemo therapy and so many drugs extend and improve the quality of lives of millions.

Your anti-drug sentiments are based on your experience stupidly abusing recreational drugs. Your current stance against all drugs is extremely misinformed.

Kebmel, DougM, cbnutt and 6 others like this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

Disclosure: my wife is a family doctor. Far from being a pusher, she resists patients who say, "just give me some pills, doc", and tells them to ice it, or lose weight, etc...

There are doctors who do that, though.

ponce and nojazzhere like this.
  8. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

My old man died of a heart attack at 52. I've outlived him by 17 years so far. At least in part because I've been taking 3 blood pressure meds and a statin for the last 20 years. And I'll go right on taking 'em until I die unless they come out with better meds (at generic prices). Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

9. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

I must say, as a recovering alcoholic, I agree with points of your statement. I don’t use painkillers if I don’t have, and usually Ibuprofen works just fine. I pulled a muscle in a major way and used 1 pain killer and went to bed, but that’s been it. I like being numb way too much to use painkillers. I do take antidepressants Tylenol ibuprofen as I mentioned, anti histamines, anything besides things that make me feel good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevemc, Deathray and LGOberean like this.
  10. LGOberean

As I said already in my OP, "Granted, this approach has its limits."

And BTW, I recently had a spider bite below my left eye that really got infected.
    09-16-2019 - My left eye - 1.jpg

(How's that for a mug shot? "If you see this man, take no action yourself. Report it to the authorities.")

My doc, who is very much on board with as natural as possible approaches to health, prescribed "a short round" (3 days worth, IIRC) of antibiotics. I took them.

11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Reading through these current posts its about the difference between feeling good vs. feeling better and knowing the difference and context of each.

Owenmoney, don71 and grayback like this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

Fair enough. My daughter had something similar that swelled the eye shut and we called it "meatball eye" :lol:

I would always ask my doctor if there are non-drug alternatives and how effective they each are, including what might go wrong without the drugs. Each situation can be different, but I am not predisposed to be suspicious of medical professionals.

13. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I'm in constant low-level pain, and sometimes it's not so low level. So sometimes I need my painkillers. And I'm not apologising for it.

Old duck, hudpucker, MickM and 2 others like this.
  14. LGOberean

I stated my impression that "many physicians" fall into that category of drug pushers, but I'll admit that I have not conducted an extensive research study of North American physicians and the prescriptive habits, so it is my impression. I do know there are doctors that don't fall into that category. I've already mentioned my family doc as being one of them. My first cardiologist after my bypass was a drug pusher in the pocket of Big Pharma. Dropped him after my first post-operative visit out of hospital, and found a different cardiologist. Aside from the 325 mg coated tab of aspirin, no drugs.

15. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Pain killers and anti-inflammatory drugs caused me more problems than pain ever did. Screw them all, never again.

LGOberean and Torren61 like this.
  16. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

As a retired pharmacist I will say that the fewer drugs one can take to remain healthy the better. Sometimes they're necessary, but unfortunately they are too often prescribed, used and abused in situations where there is no genuine need.

17. LGOberean

You are the one who is misinformed, particularly with regard to your pronouncements about my health history. Prior to my heart attack in 2014, I didn't need drugs to prevent it, I needed to change my lifestyle. I ate myself into the conditions of diabetes and a heart attack (both diagnoses came at the same time). My best chance for prevention would have been to eat better and exercise. That was 30+ pounds ago, and my attention to diet and exercise is my continued and best approach to prevention.

I agree with you about my drug abuse as a teenager being a stupid thing. Lesson learned.

18. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

This ^^ Also, it's each person's responsibility to eat right, exercise, do things in moderation and refrain from known stupidity like smoking. There are exceptions to every rule and obviously some people need some prescription drugs. But, if you make lifestyle changes instead of taking pills... you're probably better off in the long run.

catdaddy and LGOberean like this.
  19. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The most toxic substances known to man are natural. Just saying

Old duck and Shuster like this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

My impression from your original post was that you were putting recreational drugs and prescription drugs into the same category of "drugs", and that you were generally suspicious of doctors' prescribing habits. Maybe I got the wrong impression, but I think the best approach is to discuss your concerns with your doctor. Then, if you're not happy with that, it's better to find another doctor.

ASATKat and imwjl like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.