1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sawtooth Guitars Group

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Loco85, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

I have a friend that just ordered the surf green sawtooth. I'm going down to visit him in knoxville and I wanna upgrade it for him (out of spare parts) a bit and maybe file the frets down so it plays smooth. I have several alpha pots but I need to get rid of some CV import switches, would that switch be an upgrade for this guitar? I also have a GFS fatbody alnico bridge.

Do you think these are solid upgrades for these guitars?

2. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

Hi Grux

Yes all these you mentioned would be an upgrade to the stock components.

Although the git plays nice everyone who purchased one is on thr same tip. Buy play and then change what is needed.

Good looking guitar and lightweight. Just needs upgraded electronics.

Let us know how she plays after the upgrades

Grux likes this.
  3. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Awesome thanks for the response, I'll report on that in a couple weeks.

4. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Well the upgrades to my buddy's guitar were a hit, guitar sounds 10x better with full size pots and new switch, also put a gfs fatbody bridge pickup in it. Sounds great, however I do not like the size of the neck it's way too fat for me. The fretwork was very nice though no complaints there.
    So can these guitars accept a squier sized neck? Also will a regular fender pick guard for these? I wanna Esquire the one I'm getting.

5. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Hey just joined the club recently with a surf green lefty. I bought it for the looks & to mod, so she will be getting a new neck, pickups, & pots. If I can find replacement saddles, I'll probably replace them too. I have emailed the manufacturer to ask if a standard tele neck will fit the body. I'll share the response when I get it. For now it's a decent guitar for the price. Here are a few pics of it out in the sun this past weekend:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Loco85 likes this.
  6. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

welcome! beautiful guitar.
    enjoy and please report back with upgrade comparison and parts used.

7. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I took it apart tonight. Interesting to see the guts as I don’t really tinker with them at all. But again, the body is super light. Neck width is 2 3/16” which I believe is Fender standard.

Anyways, here are the pics: https://imgur.com/gallery/jro2A

8. ArchiMark

ArchiMark TDPRI Member

The Sawtooth guitars look like a great value.

For those of us here thinking about getting one, threads like this are very helpful to get an idea of what they're like. Since most of us can't see or play one in person.

Think a few things would be really helpful to me and probably others thinking about one of these...

A. When posting, could you please mention which model you have 'ET' or ET-50' or put in your sig, so, you don't need to think about it when you post. Most posts here either mention 'Sawtooth' or 'it'....makes it difficult to understand what issues apply to which model.

B. Am I correct in assuming that the difference between the ET and ET-50 is body material (sycamore vs ash). Are there any other differences (quality, sound, etc,) that might tip decision towards one or the other model?

C. From what I read, the ET-50 is typically heavier than the ET, correct?

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  9. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

Hi Mark

I have the sycamore model ET. It's light fun to play.

The ET-50 is a ash model body. I cannot comment on the hardware as I don't have both guitars.

If your tight on cash flow and want a good reliable guitar that is great value then sawtooth is for you. At this price modding it is worth it. We all do little mods here and there to make it our own.

Think about it.

Loco

ArchiMark likes this.
  10. ArchiMark

ArchiMark TDPRI Member

Thank you for your comments, Loco.

Understand your points.

Mark

11. cdw2152

cdw2152 NEW MEMBER!

I have question about the pickups on the sawtooth ET tele. I am looking at purchasing one of these guitars but want to enventually upgrade the pickups. Would these Seymour Duncan STK-P1 Stacked P-90 Single-Coil Pickups work in this guitar?

12. TKinMKE

TKinMKE TDPRI Member

Anything can work is you have the time and tools. I found that the factory routing was shallow for my mods. it is a top loader, you will need a different bridge to accommodate the new shape pkups. New pickguard also?
    I changed the pots, cap (.33 drop), plug, switch (3 way) and knobs. I put Keystones in and it sounds awesome. You may want to consider them. I liked the neck and after a fret polish it was very playable. Ernie Ball Slinkys. Next project for me is to change the bridge but have not found a modern style top loader I like yet.
    Good luck and welcome to the group!

Loco85 likes this.
  13. Biddle141

Biddle141 TDPRI Member

Just joined the club i got the butterscotch blonde et50. I really like this guitar. It is built really well for a budget guitar. I'm ready to start upgrading some parts. 20180629_144644.jpg

14. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

that's great, welcome to the club!

let us know what your planning on upgrading, gotta love the blondes, lol
    Loco

15. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

does anyone know the type of finish they put on ET Teles.
    thanks in advance.

16. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Walmart has black teles for $50, free shipping. Mine will be delivered this Thursday. Didn't need another tele but heard good things on the Sawtooth and wanted to try it out.

17. Loco85

Loco85 Tele-Meister

for 50 bucks you will be happy.

mine was 200 Canadian 3 years ago

18. Biddle141

Biddle141 TDPRI Member

I went with dr pure blues 10s and guitar fetish pups and also used their wiring kit with new pots and everything. Sounds amazing. Plays like a different guitar. Still need to get new tuners and nut. One of my trees went flying off when I was changing strings so I had to fix that.

19. Biddle141

Biddle141 TDPRI Member

My et-50 is quite heavy. I think the only other difference from what I've seen is the bridge. Mine has the walls like an ashtray. Other than that not real sure of any other differences.

20. Biddle141

Biddle141 TDPRI Member

I was curious if there were any other differences so I looked in their website. 20181126_193904-COLLAGE.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.