Saw the Stones at SoFi stadium last night

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telecasterless, Oct 16, 2021.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

For a cover band, that's a pretty solid set list.

2. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol:

3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

I was there. Probably my 15th Stones show, or so, starting with the Steel Wheels tour in L.A. And this was one of the best: top two or three for sure (#1 was Dodger Stadium in 2006). I am a harsh judge, and I disagree with much of the OP's criticisms and reports of a mixed quality performance. They were dialing it in up till the Bigger Bang Tour in 2005/2006, when they somehow decided to start taking it seriously again (and Ron Wood stopped sucking). Ever since, they've had it seriously together, and don't deserve 1/10 of the crap that people talk about them. The crap people talk now? That's the stuff I was saying about them in the '90s and early '00s. But they've handled nearly all of my criticisms since then, almost to the letter.

Bottom line for me: It was one of the best live concerts I've ever attended. It was truly high quality in every way. Wish I could go Sunday too.

Steve Jordan, the new drummer, is very different, and also very good. Compared to Charlie, he's incredibly simple, and incredibly heavy hitting...yet also much more true to the original grooves of the studio versions of the songs (Charlie played very different grooves live). Really changed their songs...and as much as Charlie was my man, I have to say that the change was really interesting, in a good way. Definitely harder rockin' and heavier with Steve.

Also, Jagger has definitely done some heavy recovery since his heart operation. The time I saw them previously was at the Rose Bowl in 2019. While they were great there too, Jagger was much lower energy, being just three or four months out from open heart surgery. This time, he seemed 10 years younger than last time.

And while "Connection" has long been one of my favorite Stones songs, and I was so excited when they started playing it again in 2006, I have to say that I just don't like the way they do it. However, "Let's Spend the Night Together" into "19th Nervous Breakdown" was probably the best Stones opening sequence I have ever seen. They killed both songs, and what great choices! Great versions of "Honky Tonk Women" "Tumblin' Dice," "Ruby Tuesday," and "Miss You" (all four the best versions I have ever seen them do), and really good versions many others. And to cap it off, they closed it out with easily the best version of "Satisfaction" that I've ever seen them play.

Contrary to the OP, Keith actually was playing a lot...and even more importantly, REALLY WELL. He is such an incredibly great guitarist, it just looks like he's not doing anything, when he's really just ripping out the greatest and most classic guitar parts of all time. I mean, Jesus H. Christ; the guy wrote arguably the most recognizable guitar riff of all time, LITERALLY in his sleep.

Ronnie was in top form. Glad he got it together, and kept it together. He was their weak link in live shows for SO LONG. He is, and always has been, a great guitarist. But he stopped being a lazy drunk on stage at the time when they went out on the Bigger Bang Tour, and it totally changed the band, in the best possible way.

I almost didn't go to this show, because I figured they had passed the prime of their 2006–present resurgence, and were down a man. I was heartbroken about Charlie, who was my favorite, and I kind of wanted the last time I saw the Stones to have been with him on drums. But boy, am really, really I glad I changed my mind in the last few days.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    tomkatf, OldPup, MickM and 3 others like this.
  4. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

If you thought I was criticizing them, then you misunderstood me. I'm not sure how you read that. I certainly wasn't critical of the playing, not even Keith's, although I'm still not sure he played guitar as much as I would have expected. And I have on video that part where he dropped his pick and chuffed a bunch of chords but I don't even care about that.

My only criticism was that I would have liked a different set list, but that's my preference. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it regardless. My comment was "we had a great time". You're in a giant arena, generally I am not as fond of the sound quality as when I'm at a club or something like the Civic or Paladium.

In any case, we agree on the opening, I thought it was great.

5. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I think Let's Spend the Night Together may have been a subtle tribute to Bowie, who covered it on Alladin Sane. Just guessing.

6. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I don't think the Stones care anything about that. I think they like playing it. It's effectively an invitation to the audience, so I understand the thematic reasons for A) making it a fixture of the set and B) the opener, but I think it's a weak song from a band that has oh-so-many strong songs to choose from.

7. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

I've seen the Stones many times. One year was a stadium show. I was trying to get good seats and for the first show could only get seats about 2/3 back in the (large) stadium. Tickets went on sale for the other show and I got seats up nice and close.

Anyway... it was interesting to see the show from two distances. It was almost a completely different show up close vs. down back. The lights, fireworks, etc were definitely better from a distance. Incredible even. Up close that stuff is there but it's just a bunch of light and noise. OTOH, being able to see the band's facial expressions, finger work, etc was much more personal and enjoyable from a musical performance point of view.

Given the choice, I'd always take the up-close option, but it was definitely worth seeing both.

Telecasterless and Skully like this.
  8. Skully

I actually prefer stadium shows to arena and theater shows -- the scale, the spectacle, the vibe, the energy. And I like club shows. The two ends of the spectrum.

NoTeleBob likes this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Two thoughts - man in your pics they look soooo old! Glad you had a great time, sounds fun.

Also, my band's singers' brother had some 50s Gibson guitar in a closet he had recently consigned at Grun's guitars - apparently Keef bought it. So I figure that's my band's claim to fame!

Telecasterless likes this.
  10. Telecasterless

Yeah, they are no spring chickens, but Mick was astonishingly sprightly. If I could move like that at his age, I'll be happy. My back was aching just from washing the dog today.

bcorig likes this.
  11. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    Thank you.

Telecasterless likes this.
  12. bcorig

I saw them at ARCO in Sacto in 99. I couldn’t believe how sprightly he was then.

13. bcorig

14. Telecasterless

Looking forward to hearing your review. Hopefully your show is as good or better!

Skully likes this.
  15. Skully

I truly do not use superlatives casually, but I must say that the show last night (10/17) was amazing. I've seen the Stones five times (1989, 1994, 1997, 2019, 2021). The 2019 show (the one where I had the worst seats) was the best Stones show I experienced to that time, but last night was even better. Jagger isn't just the best rock & roll front man of all time, he's the best now.

I watch videos from all the shows, and I thought the first show of the tour in St. Louis was great. But it seems to me that both Keith and Ronnie are more animated and activated now. And, of course, they've been breaking in a new drummer for the first time in 59 years. After seeing the show, I think the sad and wonderful truth is that Steve Jordan is a real kick in the pants for the band and they're loving it. I can be sure, because I'd have to review and compare the videos, but I think they've stretched out the arrangement for "Midnight Rambler" even more since the tour started and maybe tacked on a little ending bit to "You Can't Always Get What You Want." And I'm not sure if they've changed it much or at all, but I found that "Living in a Ghost Town" works much better live, and I was even more surprised to find that people didn't rush to the bathroom when it was played. (That, sadly, happened during Keith's set.)

I think we definitely had a better set list than they did on Tuesday at SoFi. We had "Street Fighting Man" as the opener instead of "Lets Spend the Night Together," which was dropped (they must be monitoring my posts!) and "All Down the Line" instead of "Rocks Off." I prefer "Rocks Off" on the record, but it doesn't seem to work very well live, which is probably why they rarely play it. The only song from Thursday I would've like to have heard is 'Ruby Tuesday"

I can't imagine anyone seeing last night's show thinking the band should stop. I have trouble reconciling with the fact that they will have to stop relatively soon, because this can only go on so much longer. When Jagger smiled as they took their goodbye bows, the joy on his face was like that of a little boy. This is clearly more than just a bunch of old pros punching the clock and cashing a paycheck.

Telecasterless and dkmw like this.
  16. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

There's the whole 1st show in St. Louis on youtube.

I tried to bring it up here, but couldn't get it

Just do a search for youtube Rolling Stones St. Louis 2021 and it should come up.

Sound is a bit shaky, but it's shot with multiple cameras and pretty cool!

rz

17. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My wife saw them in Pittsburgh - I just drove her there. She will see them again in Las Vegas - I will just drop her off at the airport.

I don't dislike the Stones (there are some parts I dislike, some I like), it's just not worth the ticket prices for someone I don't love.

18. Skully

Oh... and should say that I really liked the opening act, The Glorious Sons. I can't even remember who the opening act was in 2019, and I thought another band (Ghost Hounds) was opening last night. Their songs might fall apart when I listen to the recorded versions, but I really liked what I heard last night.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  19. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I like the Stones, but I NEED TO SEE THE SUITE!!!! SOFI Stadium fascinates me. $5,000,000,000!!! No walls! Wha..........

Skully likes this.
  20. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I saw them in Hawaii in the early 70s…ZZ TOP was the opening band! :D:D:D:cool:

Lone_Poor_Boy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.