Saw the Stones at SoFi stadium last night

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telecasterless, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I think after I saw the stones at the LA Coliseum in '89 (I think that's when it was, GnR opened for them), I said to myself, that's the last time I go see a megaband in an enormous venue where I am a million miles from the stage. And I was 24 then, but had already seen my share of big acts in big venues, and also plenty of up and comers at small venues.

So fast forward many years and I am 55 now and our neighbor friend invites my wife and I to see the Stones where he got a suite at SoFi for 20 people. So tons of food, booze and other friends we know in a private suite, in addition to party bus transportation to and fro for all of us.

When my wife told me they invited us, I thought about for a few minutes kind of going "hmm" with a scrunched up nose and then suddenly I said, "Wait, you've never seen the Stones have you?" she says "No" and I go what the hell, we're in our fifties, the Stones will probably never tour again, you should at least see them once in your life and hey, we're in a suite, it will just be cool evening out if nothing else.

So that's pretty much what it was. Was it a great concert? I don't know, hard to judge when you're up high looking at big screens and all that music is bouncing around inside a big venue. But did we enjoy it, hell yeah. It was great fun. There was fantastic food for us, beer and wine and we stood and danced and watched the entire show all night.

Some songs were a lot better than others. They opened with Let's spend the night together and that was fantastic. Other song highlights were Midnight Rambler and Rocks Off. For my dollar, I would love to skip a lot of the Stones big hits and hear the deep dive, maybe like Ventilator Blues or Wild Horses or Loving Cup or ***** or Little T&A, Shattered, I mean it goes on and on for the songs you really want to hear, but overall they played pretty good, I think :). Keith sang two tunes, I was hoping he would Happy but he did Connection, which I actually like, but the other one I didn't recognize, maybe it was new or a Keith single. He was a little lazy on the guitar, Ron Wood handled most of the big solo chores and heavy rhythm parts while Keith kind of laid back, sometimes he played, sometimes he didn't. He did a few really short solos but mostly it was Wood holding it down. His voice was always a little rough, but I like that, but it's even rougher these days. Mick's voice wasn't bad but I noticed he doesn't really hit the high parts in songs anymore.

What was awesome was that Keith and Ron changed guitars more often than Mick changed outfits. They almost each had a new guitar for each song. Keith was playing his TV yellow Les Paul Special quite a bit and he had a blue or sea-green tele, a blonde Tele, and also something worn out that looked maybe like Micawber, but I'm not sure, I'm not an expert. Ron Wood had a bitchin' black Tele with a pearloid pickguard and tons of other guitars. I will have to go back and look at pics to see more. Maybe I will post a few but they aren't great. I wish I could post up some of the songs but the files are too long. Midnight Rambler I filmed the whole thing, it was like 10 mins.

Overall, we had a great time. My farewell salute to the Stones.

Oh, one great anecdote....When Mick was doing the intro and waxing about Charlie (they did a photo documentary of him on the big screen before the Stones came out, it was really nice) and saying hello and all the introductory pleasantries, which actually he did very well, he mentioned a number of celebrities who were at the concert that night and he said "and Paul McCartney is here tonight, if he's lucky he can come out and do a blues cover song with us"....that made the crowd go wild. In case you hadn't heard, Paul had commented the other day that the Stones were like a blues cover band.

Anyways, here's the set list:

Let's spend the night together

19th nervous breakdown

Rocks off

Get off of my cloud

Tumbling dice

Ruby Tuesday

You cant always get what you want

Some ghost town song I didn't recognize (maybe something new, it wasn't great)

Start me up

Honky Tonk Woman

Connection - Keith

Slipping away - Keith

Miss You

Midnight Rambler

Paint it Black

Sympathy for the devil

I can't recall where the encore started but might have been here:

Jumping jack flash

gimme shelter

Satisfaction

2. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like a good night, they are a band I would like to see before they pack up for good, so I guess I have another twenty years! :)

Skyhook, 1guy, Telecasterless and 2 others like this.
  3. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Good review.
    I’ve seen a few recent clips of this tour on YouTube.
    That black tele of Ronnies looks like his sig model esp with a b Bender.

SparkleFart and brookdalebill like this.
  4. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks for the report. I've never seen the Stones but my wife has.

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I'll be there on Sunday! I've been following the tour and watching the videos. Last night's show had probably the most unique set list so far. Personally, I'm not a fan of "Let's Spend the Night Together," and I was mildly shocked that they moved the song to the front of the show. For some reason Mick (I'm assuming it's him) loves to perform it. I love "Rocks Off," which they rarely do, but I don't feel they ever get it right live. What do you think?

"Happy" was always the mainstay of Keith's two-song set, it's good to see them mixing it up. I hope we get "Connection" on Sunday. At the Rose Bowl in 2019, he did "You Got the Silver" and "Before They Make Me Run." On the B-stage for the acoustic set (which they're not doing anymore, presumably due to Watts' absence), we got "Sweet Virginia" and "Dead Flowers."

I, too, was at one of the three shows the Stones did with GNR and Living Colour at the L.A. Coliseum in 1989. I got the night where Axl did his "too many band members dancing with Mr. Brownstone" speech. Not a highlight for them.

dkmw and brookdalebill like this.
  6. Telecasterless

IMG_2313.jpg IMG_2309.jpg IMG_2306.jpg IMG_2302.jpg IMG_2300.jpg IMG_2299.jpg IMG_2297.jpg

bcorig, as5431, SparkleFart and 7 others like this.
  7. Telecasterless

Rocks off wasn't perfect, but the horns were driving and interestingly this sounds more muffled than what I was hearing, I mean, this dude has the best seat in the house, so can't say anything bad about that, but maybe it's the iphone mic? I was up high and maybe the sound was better farther from the stage. As far as nailing it, you know, you have a new drummer and it is live after all, right? I mean it's never the same live as on the album. I was just happy that they did this song, not one you hear often.

As far as Let's spend the night as an opener, I was kind of thinking it's a nice way of maybe thinking about Charlie and the fans and everyone being together. I really embraced that context for it, plus, I really always liked that song, it's kind of sing songy and always made me feel good, not sure why, maybe makes me think of old flames. And it is a jumpin' tune, so not bad for an opener. I would have barfed if they opened with Start me Up.
    I could do without that song anyways.

You'll have a great time regardless. Enjoy!

8. Telecasterless

I guess that's a Jr not a special, my bad. I wish I had a pic of Ronnie's black tele, I have it on video, need to find a pic.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Glad you got to see them!
    They’re here on November 20th.

10. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Ha! I saw the Stones in the early 80’s because it was probably the last chance.
    People watching was the best part of the show. It was like a Roman Colosseum full of degenerates watching a bunch of amateurs trying to become gladiators; if you didn’t have main-floor tickets, you had an assigned seat on your ticket. Once a few people made it past security onto main floor, the rush was on. Thousands of people flooding in waves onto the main floor area. I was really happy to have a seat, tbh.
    Decent show, but Ron Woods guitar tone was piercing. Painfully bright.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  11. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Afflicted

Great review!

12. KATT

KATT Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Great! Thanks for sharing.

I've seen The Rolling Stones a number of times and the first tour, like yourself, was the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour in 1990 at Wembley Stadium.

I really like Slipping Away from Steel Wheels and glad to see Keith's performing it again.

If they continue the tour to the UK, I'm sure I'll go to see them again. I'm with you that I would like to hear them do a few more less well known songs.

One of my best memories of seeing them was queueing up outside Wembley Stadium in 1995 and hearing them soundcheck Sweet Virginia from Exile on Main St.

13. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for the review. I watched a bit of the very first show they did and thought ‘they’re missing charlie. Steve is great but he’s not charlie.’

Then I was reading Keith’s Life and he said ‘it takes us a couple of shoes to get moving’ So fair enough.

Nesrly always the case in those big show. Sound fans out. So it compressed and muffled near the front. Then by the back it’s better.

Two miles away it’s amazing.

14. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Long Live the Stones!!! My favorite blues cover band!!!!:lol: Sir Paul..... is gas, gas, gas.

posttoastie, DjimiWrey and Alamo like this.
  15. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Thirteen more days ‘til the Tampa show, and I can’t wait:)

16. Telecasterless

Are you going to the show?

17. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

@Telecasterless
    “Some ghost town song I didn't recognize (maybe something new, it wasn't great)”

I like “Living In A Ghost Town”. Maybe you’ll like the studio version better. It kind of reminds me of older Stones.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    Skully likes this.
  18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Alas, no.
    Duty calls.

Telecasterless likes this.
  19. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

MickM and ronzhd like this.
  20. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I think it pales in comparison to Jagger's recent collaboration with Dave Grohl, even if it is a tad too topical to have much shelf life.

Maybe he was teasing Michael Douglas, who's on the left in the backstage photo below from 1989.

[​IMG]

mojek and teleman1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.