Saw The Lion King

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stxrus, Jul 24, 2019.

1. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Went to the movies tonight for The Lion King. I went in with no preconceived ideas.
    All things considered it was a good movie. Very entertaining
    No, it’s not high cinema
    Yes, it’s got some amazing and beautiful cinematography
    No/Yes, it’s not a great story but a good storyline
    Yes, I did laugh more than I thought I would
    Personally, I’d give the movie a 7 of 10

It gave me/us a couple of hours of suspension of belief entertainment that I really didn’t have to think about. Not bad for $6.00/ticket and $8.75 for a large popcorn, a large soda, & a package of M&Ms

Hate on it if you must. Make a case for why it sucks.

My views are my own and......

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Saw it over the weekend with my nieces...pretty entertaining. I think the cartoon version was still better, but this was more impressive visually. I think the only flaw that it has is maybe that the faces don't really show emotion like the cartoon version did. Over-all, they did a very impressive job and was entertaining all the way through. Having James Earl Jones back for his voice really helped.

3. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Agree completely. The only other voice I recognized was John Oliver. Sometimes the warthog sounded like Kermit the Frog
    There were a bunch of kids in the audience and I expected a lot of kids talking. That wasn’t as bad as the butthole adults and their texting. Phone screen lighting up and staying that way until they were finished

I did go in deciding that I wast going to let some clown - either child or grownup - ruin my evening

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

@stxrus

Where'd you go that only charged $8.75 for large popcorn, drink, and candy? The last place around here that cheap closed in 1998....

I'll see it, but may not in theaters. My 3 year old is more Lion King enthused than my sons, and shes still a bit unpredictable in theaters. Still kicking myself for not seeing the cartoon one when they rereleased it in 3D a year or so ago.

If you compare anything to the animated Lion King, it's unfair. The best life lesson in any Disney movie ever is when Rafiki hits Simba with a stick mid conversation. "What was that for?"
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"
    "Yea, but it still hurts "
    "Ah, yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it it learn from it"

I'm a huge Lion King fan. I'm sure itll be easier to get my wife to watch the new one than it w I'll all be for her to watch the Will Smith Alladin. Shes still mad Robin Williams died...

5. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

Took the family last weekend. My youngest daughter hadn't seen the original. I could see she really liked it.

I do wonder how they managed to train so many animals. Lol.

CGI has come a long way.

BTW, saw the standard version. Family of 5, 2 still considered children, 1 adult ticket for free using points.

So 2 adults, 2 kids, 1 combo (2 drinks, 1 LG popcorn & candy) & 3 more drinks. Roughly $100 all in.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  6. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Our only local theater. Fairly new, totally solar, stadium seating, nice audio. Tuesday all adult tickets are $5.00

And I agree with the Rafiki-Simba interaction

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Would have much preferred if the movie was done in the old “Give Mr Ed something to eat/film him chewing/dub in a voice/look - the animal(s) can talk!” method.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

you just fed the thievery of disney

9. Mike Eskimo

Any of these animated movies are tied to whether or not we took our kids to see them or played the VHS tapes endlessly at home for our kids.

So, the first Nemo, which definitely is one of the modern era’s greatest animated movies, as well as #1 and #3 of the Toy Story movies (ditto) might mean nothing to you if your kids didn’t exist yet or were already grown when they came out.

Speaking of that, I remember taking my son to see the visual excrement that was the Speed Racer movie .

It was one of the first times he made a very adult suggestion/interrogative.

About halfway through the movie , he pokes me in the shoulder and says “are you still watching this? Because I could go anytime you’re ready“...

He was 6.

We got the hell out of there right then ...:lol:

stratofortress likes this.
  10. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Speed Racer was a really mediocre cartoon much less a motion picture.

11. Mike Eskimo

Yeah, but the original cartoon one had that wacky Japanese pre-anime deal going on. Very camp.

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I thought the original was bad. It was a letdown after a run of a few great or really good (within the Disney movie genre) animated feature flicks scored by Menken/Ashman. The lyricist Ashman died during the production of "Aladdin," and the songs almost immediately went downhill, even for part of that movie, e.g. "A Whole New World." Blech. Then Elton John did "The Lion King," and I gave up on Disney cartoons.

I expect the new one could be even worse. But the animals in the trailer that I saw looked cool enough that I will go see a matinee just to check out the visual aspects.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.