Saw "The 10th Inning" on PBS tonight: Wow.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stubee, Sep 29, 2010.

1. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

Injuries are an excuse. No one got hit harder by injuries than the Phillies this year. They had the starting eight players available for 12 games this year. Ever starter except Jayson Werth spent time on the DL during the season.

Look where the Phils ended up.

Jim

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Sorry about forgetting the Phils, they too, were hit hard. The giants lost several guys early too...

stevie, I'm pretty close to being like your grandfather... my son and I are fans win or lose and we make sure we listen to kruk and kuip in the early morning to hear their recap... we go to all the minor league teams games (and we made a pilgrimage to Midland to see the rockhounds)... we saw Lincecum pitch for the San Jose Giants (and Pose and Sandoval etc)

So, the real baseball fan still exists... I would have loved to watched a game with your grandpa (or listened to one!)

for me, it isn't about the money or any of the stuff the news covers it is the guys on the field... last night Lincecum was sick as a dog and he battled and won... it was as good as watching Marichal...

There are several really awesome TEAMS in this year's playoffs... the Phillies are awesome, The Twins etc (no offense to anyone I miss on, not intentional)

I just hope J RO is healthy as he is the PRIDE OF OAKLAND!

3. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

If you're a Phillies fan, I can see why you feel that way.
    I'm a pretty patient guy, but I think that Omar Minaya needs to go (good riddance) and so does Jerry Manuel (with a smile and thanks for a good effort at a difficult task.)

I can think of few teams that accomplished less with more in terms of talent and financial resources than this Mets team.

And Minaya has to take the hit for not finding the right complementary players, and even for not putting in place a program to help keep players healthy. (Think it's a coincidence that Leo Mazzone's Braves pitchers stayed healthy?)

4. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I think Theo or is he really Robbie Williams from "Millenia" should be tarred and feathered for getting rid of Bronson Arroyo of The Reds who has been The NL's Ironman three years running and is going to the postseason AND Derek Lowe for The Braves who looks like he's going to the postseason again.

And even worse than this catastrophe Theo signed Beckett - who's finished - to a long term deal. Lackey's starting to look like you can stick a fork into him too. Then there's Dice K....snake eyes for The Diceman.

And finally Mister Papelbon - I said it last year it's written in The TDPRI that this guy's "an adventure" everytime he goes out there. Great numbers BUT when things are at "Critical Mass" he implodes.

I think we're stuck with these four guys unless maybe a second tier Club like The New York Mets will take all four of them and their salaries.

If THIS is The Pitching Staff of 2011 for Boston it's gonna be a long Summer. :rolleyes:

I actually like The Celtics chances much better than the 2011 fortunes of The Red Sox.

There's talk about Carl Crawford in Left. Didn't we already see this movie but starring Coco Crisp in Center? I don't like that deal at all BUT the thing that scares me is Crawford and Granderson in Wankee Stadium. New York could absolutely do that in a heartbeat. The Angels must be getting ripped to shreds by their local media over Vlad - they need a Big Stick - not a Carl Crawford. I'm actually kinda shocked that The Dodgers aren't going after Crawford - that's a perfect fit.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

After watching it I now realize that there was a downside to living in my favorite city in the world - San Francisco.

But he's retired now...

6. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

It's been on all week. I think i've caught it a few times at different points but I loved it.

jwsamuel - Phils won the division, they'll understand if we don't watch a game or two for a history lesson. At least that's what I'm telling myself haha

7. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Nobody is going after anybody yet, it's against the rules! The Dodgers are going through the divorce too so everything is limbo until the ownership gets sorted out. The Angels should have obviously kept Vlade, but hindsight is always 20/20, he really hadn't performed that well for a year or two mostly due to injuries and I think the Angels thought he was done. They also let Figgins go, who has had a bad year in Seattle, and Lackey, see your own comments.

8. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

+1.

I didn't make a point to boycott baseball after the strike. It was just sort of like it lost its appeal or its mystique.

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I got to see both parts of the 10th Inning. My sweetie, Laura said, "I want to ditch work tomorrow so I can stay up and watch it." She is NOT a sports fan, but we do watch a little baseball on the weekends when nothing else is on the tube.

I grew up in the Bay Area, so the Giants are my team, but I live in Colorado now and really like the Rockies. I don't know who to root for when they play each other. I used to sneak a transistor radio with an earphone into class to listen to Giants games in fifth grade. As I got older, I lost interest in sports, but I'm strating to become a fan of the game again (though I couldn't give you a starting line up to save my soul...).

10. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

The Twins are really good. Part of me would love to see them beat the Yankees, but the other part of me wants the Phillies to avenge last year and do it in the World Series. Either way, if the Phils don't get there and win it, I hope Minnesota does. Simply for that they are a likable team with great fans.

As far as J-Roll, the debate around town is whether or not Charlie Manuel is going to bat him leadoff or move him down in the order. Many fans (myself included) would rather have Victorino leading off at this point. Jimmy himself has admitted to not being up to full speed.

11. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

Well, I have managed to watch every inning of every game this year -- either on TV or in person -- and I want to keep that streak alive.

Jim

12. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Every inning? Wow. How did you manage rain delays--just sit in front of the TV on that station until they played or called it?

I have a feeling The Tenth Inning will be shown again once or twice.

13. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

14. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Well, as long as we're OT: I agree with all of the above. They are a great team, good guys too. Been to the Twin Cities, my wife's family is from MN, my MIL gave me a Homer Hankie, blah blah blah.

It doesn't matter and I don't mean this personally, but as a Tigers fan I pretty much always hope that when the Twins play somebody it goes like this: Twins 1, Opponents 117.

This Tigers/Twins thing goes way back--anybody remember Evans getting picked off at 3rd in a key play in the '80s???--it's not the Twins fault, it's the Tigers. But I can't help but feeling a little 'boost' when the Twins lose. Especially to Detroit.

I should probably get over this...but it feels pretty good! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.