Saw Slash last nite...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NEPATelecaster, May 6, 2015.

1. NEPATelecaster

NEPATelecaster Tele-Afflicted

Show was as great as expected.

Opening act Like a Storm from New Zealand was a young Hard-Rock Band. They were okay but not my cup of tea. they played from 8-830pm.

Slash with Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators came on about 850pm and played straight through to 11pm...Non Stop...

Slash played a few different Les Pauls....a Double Neck Guild Acoustic/Electric. Other Guitar Player had a few different guitars played including a Gibson Firebird and a ES-335 Type that I couldn't identify the make of.

Myles Kennedy is just an incredible singer. His renditions of G-n-R tunes were just great to listen to.

The only thing I could have done without is the 16 minute guitar solo in Rocket Queen, other than that just a great show to be at.

2. JLC78TELE

JLC78TELE Tele-Meister

I got to see him in 2010. I never got to see a proper gnr show, but seeing slash in a mid size club like venue was amazing. Miles Kennedy sounds way better live than axl does anymore. I'd choose seeing slash again over the current gnr line up.

3. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Myles Kennedy is a great rock n roll singer, Slash was smart to get that guy involved.

4. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Myles Kennedy is the bees knees. I had the opportunity of meeting him once, and such a total gentlemen. Really humble, softly spoken... Not an obnoxious rock star at all.

5. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

Wait a second, you're telling me Slash plays GnR tunes at his shows? I mean, it makes sense, but for some reason I always assumed he was only playing his post-GnR stuff. How much of the show would you say is Velvet Revolver or later?

6. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

I saw both Slash and the new GNR over the past couple of years. I was expecting the worst from new GNR - but they were AWESOME. Axl has a hot/cold voice, and we caught him on a great night. Absolutely fantastic, and I only went because I had a free ticket.

I was expecting Slash to be more "hardcore" and edgy, but it seemed to be way more corporate - maybe since Slash has his head on straight now, and no one in the band wants to get fired haha. Too much pentatonic wankfest, not enough good songs (besides the GNR ones). GNR songs seem wrong without Axl, but work without Slash, IMO. Nothing against Slash personally, but I think besides the solos, GNR was actually more of a combination of Axl/Duff/(and especially)Izzy writing great songs.

7. NEPATelecaster

NEPATelecaster Tele-Afflicted

I'd say they played 16-18 tunes. gnR tunes
    You could be mine
    Rocket queen
    Welcome to the jungle
    Paradise city
    Sweet child o mine

I think maybe another one or so. Played Slither by Velvet Revolver and solo album tunes...

8. JLC78TELE

JLC78TELE Tele-Meister

Here is something I never see adressed when people discuss new GNR. The band is as good as you would expect a bunch of hired guns(pun) to be, and the put on a big show like you would expect. I'm not sure why he needs so many guitar players to replace slash. But Axl doesn't sound like Axl at all anymore. You tube some live stuff from the early 90's and some new live stuff. He has lost all the grit that was so important to his sound. It's like he is singing falsetto. Is he trying to save his voice? I wonder if he got some voice lessons and they ruined him by teaching him proper voice technique. I always felt that there was a raw quality to his voice, and that is definitely missing now.

9. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

This is the show I was at and it was awesome. He sounded like old Axl. Maybe not AFD album Axl, but certainly old live Axl.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.