Saw Los Lobos tonight at the Historic Rogue Theater

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Jupiter, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I don't have a bucket list, because everything you check off takes you that much closer to death, but if I had one, a Los Lobos concert would have been on it. Great night!

2. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Saw them at Dingwall's in London, must have been about 1985 (pre La Bamba!) Great night and had a beer with the guys at the bar after the show. Only went down because our singer/harmonica player at the time was from Maine and he had heard about them. Seem to remember going home to Edinburgh on the train with a Blonde piggyback Bandmaster I bought at Andy's the next day, some weekend!

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

They are great. I missed them at Red Rocks with Tedsechi-Trucks a week or so ago, but got to see them earlier in the year in Boulder. When they first hit with "Will the Wolf Survive," my girlfriend at the time went to see them. I had to miss them for a gig. They played a little bar on the east side of Tucson. I asked her how the show was and she said, "I'd follow them to El Paso!" That's high praise.

teletimetx and xafinity like this.
  4. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

I'd love to see them in concert. My Favourite all time song of theirs is "One Time One Night In America." Followed closely by "Will The Wolf Survive." I hope they come to Western Australia before I shrug my mortal coil (78 now).. S

5. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

One of my all time favorite bands. Exceptional musicianship, fat, lush, classic tones and brilliant song writing. I love the way they listen to each other and how they meld things old and new.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They're excellent. Excellent.

Some folks do better albums than these guys do, but in terms of doing shows (huge numbers of them) over so many years, shows of only the very highest quality, these guys are #1.

I would imagine most of us have seen them at least once, and are thinking, "oh, I can see them another time". I think that's a mistake. This is the kind of show you can't see too many times.

gmann likes this.
  7. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

My favorite band!

8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

One of my favorites too, great players, great material. I snuck into a LL sound check once, back in maybe '88, they were doing the test-one-two, then someone started playing a riff from a Beatles tune. They all started jamming along; they did a nice 15 minute Beatles medley, all spot-on album worthy. Then they busted out some Hendrix, wow. Blew me away.

9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I've been a big fan for decades...last time I saw them live, in Portland, David Hidalgo was curiously absent? Still a great show!

10. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I saw them 3 or 4 years ago at a venue in Gilroy, CA. My friend's company was running the sound that night so we got in for free. Awesome show!

11. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Best band in America.

I've seen them probably a dozen times. They always bring it. Met the band at one show in Baltimore a few years back. Had a beer with them before their show. Nice guys. And, it goes without saying, excellent musicians.

Paul in Colorado and Geoff738 like this.
  12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

One thing that impressed me (out of many):
    David Hidalgo played the same guitar (Gibby SG) all night. Well, except for when he played the accordion--and the drums on the encore! César Rojas switched guitars once, from a RW SB strat to another identical one, prolly a tuning issue.

I saw the B-52s this summer, and the guitarist changed guitars for every single song...

13. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

But they can't roll their "R"! Listen to how they say "ariba" instead of "arriba" in their version of "La Bamba."

Diction aside, they are a neat band to listen to because their body of work hints at so many different influences.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.