Saw Joan Baez Sunday

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Charlie Bernstein, May 7, 2019.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Whew!

She's doing her Fare Thee Well Tour - over a year of gigs - then retiring. And it turned out her last US show was scheduled for the theater I worked at in high school, almost fifty years ago. (Yikes!) So we made the trip from Maine to New York and stayed with friends. My wife and I had each seen her when Joan and we were younger, and this seemed like last call, so.

Great show. She doesn't have the range she used to, and she has the vocal chords of someone who's used them a lot. But she still belts 'em out and makes 'em sound great, and she's learned a lot about working an audience. Plus, her guitar work is a lot more varied and less mechanical than it used to be. A bunch of Dylan tunes, a couple of Tom Waits, a John Lennon, a Richard Farina, a lot of old folk tunes (natch). And, also natch, Diamonds and Rust.

Her son played drums (who'd expect a drum solo at a Joan Baez show?), and made 'em sing. She had a backup singer with a soulful voice and the range Joan used to have. Here instrumental guy played fiddle, mando, guitar, banjo, upright bass, and piano. Sounded great on all six, never upstaged Joan.

Visiting the theater was also great. We ended up being seated by the usher who was working my old position (balcony, left entrance). So we talked shop for a few minutes and that was fun, too. (Man, why did I ever quit?)

Anyhow, she's off the the Europe leg of the tour now. It was a real nice send-off for Joan. She's really wrapping it up on a high note. And there were a lot of movie cameras there: Someone's making a documentary about her, which, she says, tells all.

We'll see what that means soon enough!

2. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Glad to see she's still going strong(ish). I saw her at Finsbury Park Rainbow Theatre (London, UK) about 30 years ago and she was great.

3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I still get a little misty eyed whenever I think of her.

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Love Joan. Glad she's gettin it done still. It's tough getting old. I've ween a number of people I liked in recent years, some should probably not be attempting to do it. Some are still quite good. Fortunately I have a great lead vocalist but still miss singing as much as I used to. My rule, even when young, for me or anyone in the band has been; "If you cant sing it right, and on pitch, you ain't singin it" Nothing I dislike more than pitchy singing. I'm getting there. My Doc says your vocal chords get a bend in them with age, so it's much harder to straighten them out and get them to seal together and space out with control.

5. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Many years ago I went to see David Bromberg at the Great American Music Hall. My girlfriend and I had just burned one after parking the car and were standing in line waiting to get in. Joan Baez walked up to me and asked "do you know where Original Joe's is"? I had no idea but I figured it was on Van Ness so I pointed behind me. She briefly conferred with whoever she was with, smiled, said "thanks", and went off in the opposite direction.

And after all that, she doesn't call, doesn't write! Later she sang a couple tunes with Bromberg which was a little odd as she's not the bluesiest out there.

update - I just looked it up - Original Joe's is like a mile away in North Beach! I guess you could walk there.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What a great lady !

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Brave, strong, cool woman!
    My Dad was a huge fan.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I think Bromberg owns Joan's original, beautiful Martin 0-45, the one Dylan played " Mr.Tambourine Man" on, at Newport.
    I think she either gave it to, or sold it ( regrettably) very cheaply to him, years ago...
    My first date with my wife was seeing Bromberg, Rochester, 1979
    He is one of my ' guitar touchstones '- amazing musician. So is Joan!

9. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

First glimpse of her was in the Woodstock movie. Was she scheduled to play the 50th anniversary show in Watkins Glen (that's seemingly been killed by lack of funding)? I hope so. What longevity she has.

10. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

I grew up listening to her and saw her frequently enough that I kind of took her for granted. Figured she would always be on some stage somewhere. I actually like her voice better now than I did back in the 1960s.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  11. Charlie Bernstein

Mine thought it was pure caterwauling. He was strictly a show-tunes type.

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. Charlie Bernstein

My first glimpse was Woodstock, but I was already a fan. (My big sister was a folky. She was reamed out on a bus once by a woman who mistook her for Joan.)

13. Charlie Bernstein

Yeah, it's the Joni/Marianne syndrome. The highs go away, but the gift keeps on giving.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Notice I said my Dad was a fan.
    I am a fan of the woman, not so much her singing.

15. Charlie Bernstein

Yeah, I was talking about my dad, too, since you brought up the dad subject. He just hated all that I-had-a-dog-and-his-name-was-Blue nonesense.

Had to skip work to go to the show. When I showed up at work Monday, my young (forty?) supervisor came trotting up and said, "You went to see Joan Baez! My dad loved her!"

Boy, did I feel geriatric!

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.