Saw Dwight Yoakam last night

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
Wow, what a show! His backing band is *really* tight. Its clear that they rehearsed and rehearsed...and then rehearsed some more! Dwight is still really high-energy. I had never seen him live before, but one takeaway I had was that his guitar isn't a prop (like Elvis's was much of the time). He played every song and played well. He used every technique you would expect a competent rhythm guitarist to display--he was touch-sensitive with his playing allowing his lead to shine.

What a backing band! He's got a 30-something year old lead guitarist that can not only bring it but who contributes to the "let's all have fun tonight" atmosphere. He's a great player. The 5th member of the band (besides the bass and drummer) is a multi-instrumentalist. He played keyboard, pedal steel, fiddle, moraccos, and mandolin at various times throughout the show, sometimes playing two instruments in the same song.

Dwight kicked out 20 songs in rapid fire fashion. He played everything you would expect him to play. I was particularly happy he played "I Blame the Vain"--I wasn't sure that would make the setlist.

If you have a chance to see him, do it!

Smokin OP

Tele-Afflicted
I saw Dwight and the band a few months ago. His guitarist, Eugene Edwards is fabulous. Lots of b-bending tele from him along with mandolin. Great show along with a great band. Glad you were able to attend and enjoyed the show.

Dan R

Poster Extraordinaire
Good on ya! I'd jump at the chance to see Dwight. I've been a big fan for many years. Glad it was a great experience for you.

mrfitz98

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I had tickets to see him a few years ago. Then he cancelled a bunch of shows (including the one I had tickets for) for a rumored movie gig. Not too happy about that.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
I love DY and have since he came on the scene.
I had tickets to see him in Baton Rouge around’94 but the show got canceled.
Not sure why, but he didn’t reschedule it.
I’d still go see him if given the opportunity.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Dwight is ultra talented.
I love his singing, song writing, and acting.
Glad you got to see him!
That’s right! Wasn’t he in Slingblade? Best cameo since the guy that played Seabass
He was "menace" personified in Panic Room. (with Jodie Foster)
Supposedly he did an episode of Drunk History. I bet that's a hoot! ;)