Saw Davy Knowles wail on a Tele last night

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by toomuchfun, Aug 19, 2019.

1. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

I saw Davy Knowles play a 90 minute set at a local outdoor venue last night. I don't know much about him but he put on a real nice blues show. I see he was in Back Door Slam in the past.

He played a standard Tele all night, didn't even take it off. It was black with rosewood board, 3 saddle brass bridge. Well worn around the edges and played it through a Vox amp.

The first couple songs sounded off, bass and drums were real loud. Once the soundman got it right Davy's vocals and guitar sounded better each song. He had a bass, drums and a Hammond organ with a leslie along with a piano. Davy traded leads with the keyboard player on many songs and that was real nice. Big sound from 4 pieces.

I see on his website he sells "official bootlegs" and there were at least 3 tall stands with mics on them. I always bring a small recorder along and sit it under my seat, I didn't feel alone.

I wasn't familiar with his originals but enjoyed them. He did a great version of Hootchie Cootchie Man and for an encore did Almost Cut My Hair as a Woodstock tribute.

Davy came to play and he and the band sure did. Good rhythm work and driving leads with volume and tone swells on a few. It was a treat to see him make that Telecaster wail.

Paul in Colorado and BB like this.
  2. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Cool! Never heard of him, but always dig hearing about players I don't know. Glad you had a good time and thanks for the post. I;ll check him out.

3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

One of my very favorite players. Back Door Slam was a great little band ad he was just in his early 20s. As awesome as his playing is.....that voice is God given.

Omiewise65 and uriah1 like this.
  4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm a fan of Back Door Slam. It seemed like he disappeared there for a while. Glad to hear that he's back out touring again.

5. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Big fan of Back Door Slam. I would love to see Knowles one day

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think I once watched him play with Warren Haynes and Gov't Mule on a YouTube video of Almost Cut My Hair. If its him he held his own in that too.

Found it, it was over 8 years ago.:eek:
    Seems like it was just a couple years ago.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  7. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Yeah that's Davy, I read he used to play Strats.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Why did he really break up his first band.
    THey were awesome.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.