Saw Counting Crows and Matchbox Twenty last night...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It was a good show. Very enjoyable.

It's a co-headline tour, Crows were on first. I won't say I was disappointed in their set, because I enjoyed it. But it was light on the stuff I wanted to hear as a fan from the beginning. I mainly went to see them, and the experience wasn't bad, but could have been better.

Other people there felt the same way. The set also seemed a little jerky and disjointed. On the upside- Adam sounded fantastic. And as always, the guitar collection and live tones from Dan Vickrey were stunning. That guy is just a tone monster, and his guitars will make just about any vintage fan six shades of green. All in all the mix was good, but I'd not call it great. I could hear everything well, but it was just kinda of what you'd expect at a huge outdoor amphitheater show. Nothing special.

Matchbox Twenty went on second. I have a love/hate relationship with this band. It's pedestrian pop, but very well written, crafted, and executed.

I think of Rob Thomas as this generation's John Fogerty. Not that their music is comparable to me, but they have had similar trajectories. Rob Thomas was to the 90's what Fogerty was to his heyday. Nothing but hit, after hit, after hit. They are two guys that just can't miss. Thomas could get up in the morning totally hung over, stumble into the bathroom, and poop a gold record. Whether you like his style or not, he is that good.

Sorry to Crows and their fans, I actually MUCH prefer the band and music to that of Matchbox Twenty, but MT simply blew them out of the water last night. Much more energy, much better flow, an overall tighter and better sounding band, and their FOH guy was a beast. Their sound was incredible. Probably one of the best large venue live shows I've ever heard.

I'll always be a Crows fan. I'll see them again. I'm hoping they were just having an off night. We all know it happens.

I'll never be a huge Matchbox Twenty fan. I don't dislike them, they just are what they are. But last night, they made the show for me. They were definitely the best band on the bill, and totally killed.

FenderGyrl, src9000, uriah1 and 2 others like this.
  2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

How were the amps?

Doug 54 and Jakedog like this.
  3. Jakedog

Tones from Crows were sick. But so wasn't close enough to see the amps. They have quite a collection.

Matchbox sounded like Matchbox. So whatever they're using, it works.

4. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

I saw the same show when they came through Atlanta last month. I wish I could have gone the previous night when the Counting Crows closed the show. I think they'd have a different energy if they went on last.

I'd seen them both before, the Counting Crows closing a Friday night at a festival (Adam Duritz told the crowd that he found out a friend passed away that afternoon, so I don't think it was their best show) and I saw Matchbox Twenty on their first headlining tour in the late 90s. I'm hoping to catch the Counting Crows as a headliner again someday.

I think I'm in the same boat as to Matchbox: well written, catchy songs executed damn near perfectly. They put on a damn good show even if their music doesn't have as much substance as some other artists.

Did Rivers of Rust open at the show last night?

Jakedog likes this.
  5. Jakedog

Rivers of Rust did open. They sounded decent, but I found them pretty unremarkable all around.

6. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Is Duritz still wearing that silly dreadlock wig? Saw him on PBS wIth it and thought he looked ludicrous.

7. Jakedog

I have no idea. I've only ever seen him with dreads, and we were pretty far back, so I couldn't say. Just looked like hair to me. But from the back of the venue, who knows?

8. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

I saw the in Charlotte. Really good show. Crows were good but did lack high energy. They had a better light show 5han matchbox I think

Jakedog likes this.
  9. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

Just curious, did Matchbox add any guitar solos to some of their old hits? They are good pop songs on their own, but I'd be disappointed if Rob didn't let his lead guitar guy stretch out a bit

10. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

At first i thought you were talking of the rockabilly band matchbox. Then i thought these guys are still playing ? wow.

11. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I love the Counting Crowes and saw them last year for the first time live. I think as a band and show they are a bit disjointed generally and to me is probably just, or more the way Adam is.....great sound, probably a few too many modern songs but overall really enjoyed it. Guitarist was awesome, sound was really good.

However I have seen Matchbox 20 probably about 20 years ago (roughly) and was blown away with their sound even back then. I had the forst album and really enjoyed but Live they were more like Pearl Jam (rockier) than the Album ever was. Liked it so much when they came back a few years later went again. Same result, was awesome.

I think they are the only band I have knowingly seen more than once, apart from Pearl Jam. Oh and the Foos's.

Would see them again in a heart beat.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I suppose Counting Crows face a mixed blessing in doing a set list for a show like that. They have that one album with songs that people just love and want to hear over and over, but they also have another 7 or 8 albums, all with songs they are proud of. It must be a thing of not wanting to be seen as just a nostalgia act when you are still creating good stuff, but also not wanting to shortchange the audience.

They are a really good band- as in a great collection of players who work with dynamics and inspired interaction- Immy is a hell of player, too. And a Adam is just a fantastic lead vocalist. I know him a little bit and he's the nicest guy, very passionate about what he does.

McGlamRock, rburd2 and Jakedog like this.
  13. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I'm a fan of Counting Crows but not Matchbox 20. I really hate these split headliner shows. You get half of what you want for full price. I've never seen one where I was interested in both artists. I debated going but I think I'm glad I passed.

Jakedog likes this.
  14. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

I thought they had a really good sound but lacked personality in songwriting...if that makes sense.

Jakedog likes this.
  15. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

I saw the Foo Fighters on their first headliner tour, then a couple of years later at a festival and would gladly spend my money to see them again. Not sure my wife would agree, though. :)

Jakedog likes this.
  16. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

I saw the Counting Crows back in 2009 I think on a co headliner tour with the Goo Goo Dolls. Counting Crows were all great players and I remember they jammed a lot more, but I thought the Goo Goo Dolls were much better. They have catchier songs and just performed really well. I was a moderate fan of each group before the show.

Jakedog likes this.
  17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I like really some of the Crows stuff but live they have a habit of extending some songs far too much and they turn what we're good tracks into tedious renditions where Adam waffles endlessly and seems very self interested. Very long introductions too. I guess true fans think all that is "real" and connecting with the audience. The guitarists always blend really well and yes, great guitars and tones.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. jackleg

jackleg Tele-Meister

i love the crows, but listening to them for too long makes me start taking on adam's depression....

Jakedog and rze99 like this.
  19. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Tele-Meister

I'm at the Indy show right now. I was never a huge fan of either band, but always thought they made good music. My wife loves both, which is why we're here with her cousin and her cousin's husband.

Rivers and Rust opened, which is the guitarist from Matchbox 20 as well. I really liked them. Probably more than the headliners!

Not liking the beer prices though... $12-14 for domestic?!? It's been a while since I've been to a concert. Hahahaha...

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.