Saw Clapton Last Night at Rogers Arena

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Jeff R, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Jeff R

Jeff R Tele-Holic

Went to see E.C. last night in Vancouver, opening night of his North American tour. Great show, very professional, started on time, every note done with precision.

Opened with Los Lobos who I really haven't heard much from since the mid-eighties, but presented the only tele sighting all night.. a Bigsby tele, no less. Good set, short and satisfying. They wrapped up with a La Bamba medley, predictably.

Clapton came on very shortly after and got right into it with no chatter except a shout out to his sister and his river fishing buddies. Thought maybe there would be a couple words about Harrison's birthday.
    Same lineup, gear, and set list apparently as the Bangkok show. Only difference is I could swear he spent most of the strat time in the neck position. I found the tone a little clucky, almost Knopfler style. Not really bad, just not what I expected from recordings and video. When he switched to the Gibson for a few songs, man was that some sweet sound.
    Traded some solos with his keyboard players but other than that he handled the guitar work very well by himself. Obviously not a guy who's flustered if there's not a second guitarist.

I haven't been fortunate enough to see him live over the years, all I can say if thats a player in his decline, he's still got more chops and can pull them off more smoothly than anyone I've seen, except for maybe Buddy Guy. Well done, entertaining and I definitely got my money's worth.

2. Rob52

Rob52 Tele-Holic

+1 on your comments.

I saw him live about 2 years ago, great playing then too and he didn't speak much that time either. Came out on time and worked his a** of for the whole night. His playing was note perfect, even when he opened up and played extended solos.

While he's not my all time favorite guitarist, he is certainly a master, I know some folks love to put him down, but credit where credits due. Seeing him live gave me a new respect for him as a musician.

3. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

4. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

Eric's had a brilliant career. Can you imagine playing the same songs over and over, some for over 40 years? It's no wonder he may go into auto-pilot from time to time. Also, he's said many times he's had pretty severe hearing loss, which is what I attribute to his uneven tone. He certainly still has it in his Slowhand!
    Saw him last year and he was still a great entertainer. Play on, Eric!

5. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Saw him last year myself, and while he's still great (he's been one of my favorites since I started playing as a teen) the show had the feeling that he was just "punching the clock." He walked out, played his 90 minutes and walked off.

As for Los Lobos - there's no way I could deal with an opening set from them, it wouldn't be enough! They bring it big time, every night.

6. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Tele-Meister

I agree, one of the best live bands out there IMO.

7. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Tele-Meister

I've seen him three times now, last time with Steve Winwood at Wembley Arena was the best time (apart from maybe the time at wembley stadium when I was 12!!!)

Very tempted to buy tickets for me and others to see him at the Royal Albert again this summer..........

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.