Saw Cheap Trick tonight...

1guy

Tele-Meister
I just discovered I have no Cheap Trick CDs! Must remedy this IMMEDIATELY.

LMK what you think are their best efforts to date so I can get jiggy with an order.

They got a lot to choose from, but I'd say ...

All Shook Up
Live at Budokan
Heaven Tonight
Dream Police
One on One

Just off the top of my head

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I just discovered I have no Cheap Trick CDs! Must remedy this IMMEDIATELY.

LMK what you think are their best efforts to date so I can get jiggy with an order.

First three are great - Cheap Trick, In Color and Heaven Tonight. Next two, Live at Budokan and Dream Police are also essential.

All Shook Up is good, but a lot of their 80s stuff isn't as strong as the first few, kinda hit or miss. Next Position Please is interesting, produced by Todd Rundgren. One of their best tunes, 'I Can't Take It,' is on that one. A near-perfect pop tune. Tom Petersen isn't on that one, it was put out during his exile from the band. A guy named Jon Brant played on it.

Newer stuff - Rockford is pretty good, The Latest has another of my favorite songs, 'Sick Man of Europe' (which was a name they used during their days in Philly). Song kicks butt. One of the purest blasts of punkish pop since their first album. This is the last album Bun E. played drums on.

(Fun fact: Rick Neilsen replaced Todd Rundgren in The Nazz after TR bailed and went solo.)

The newest album In Another World is actually pretty good. Lead single was 'Boys & Girls & Rock N'Roll.' This clip is from Colbert - Petersen was sitting down because he did the show shortly after his surgery. That's Robin's son Taylor playing rhythm guitar.

They've put out a ton of stuff over the years, some real classics and some, not so much. Can't go wrong with those first five, though.

- D

Last edited:

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
The other one called "Cheap Trick" (released in 1997) is really good, but their record company folded and got overlooked.

Ah, yes, the 'Dead Ant' album (a play on Red Ant Records, which went toes-up right after the album came out).

If you can find an original pressing of the CD, you get a bonus EP that's got a great version of The Move's 'Brontosaurus' on it.

A rare gem is the Steve Albini re-work of the In Color album. The band had problems with Tom Werman's production (it was really wimpy compared to the powerhouse live versions that showed up on Budokan), and Albini set that right. The album is as raw and heavy as their live shows, even though they never technically released it - they recorded the tracks in three days then had to go back out on the road and never finished it. It's got a really good version of John Lennon's 'I'm Losing You' on it.

(I've actually got MP3s of the Albini record. If anyone is interested, message me and I'll hook you up.)

- D

Last edited:

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
I love Cheap Trick, and thanks for sharing these pictures and equipment they played.

Robin Zander is one of my favorite singers, and Rick Nielsen is, as always, a very powerful guitarist.

I also like that their sons are playing in Cheap Trick too. No wonder Cheap Trick is often called "Power Pop."

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I love Cheap Trick, and thanks for sharing these pictures and equipment they played.

Robin Zander is one of my favorite singers, and Rick Nielsen is, as always, a very powerful guitarist.

I also like that their sons are playing in Cheap Trick too. No wonder Cheap Trick is often called "Power Pop."

Here's one from the last song of the night, with Rick playing the checkerboard 5 neck.

253394961_10227200363214716_60414768270081778_n.jpg

Robin wandered off somewhere, from the look of it.

253727955_10227199951804431_4062333408367139787_n.jpg

- D

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
I get that. The road wore him down, though. I think he still does an occasional gig with his band somewhere in Chicago.
There is probably a good bit of truth to that. I'm sure none of us will ever know the whole story, but I am still firmly of the opinion that he got the shaft in a very shady fashion from Rick and Co. Rightly or wrongly, that continues to cloud my opinion of the current incarnation.

Regardless, I do love them, especially everything up to and including "Dream Police". Saw them live in '84 at Astroworld when I was in high school on "Senior Night". Great memory.

Last edited:

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
There is probably a good bit of truth to that. I'm sure none of us will ever know the whole story, but I am still firmly of the opinion that he got the shaft in a very shady fashion from Ric and Co. Rightly or wrongly, that continues to cloud my opinion of the current incarnation.

Regardless, I do love them, especially everything up to and including "Dream Police". Saw them live in "84 at Astroworld when I was in high school on "Senior Night". Great memory.

Yeah, I've heard stories that Zander wanted him gone for personal reasons, and it would have been a hell of a lot easier to replace the drummer than 'The Voice'. Sort of an odd arrangement since he's still 1/4 owner of the band, but I guess they don't have to see one another in business meetings or anything.

- D

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
First record is one of the best rock records of all time and that’s not even an opinion.

Absolutely. I remember buying that record and the Ramones' first at the same time. Talk about a kick in the face!

That's why I was thrilled that they kicked off the show last night with a good chunk of that album. It was great to hear that stuff live again.

- D

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Rick is awesome. I saw them at an outdoor show when I was 18 - 1982, Rick said something that was so Rock & Roll. A fat biker standing near me thew an open beec at the stage. The beer came out of the back of the can and got on peoples hair. Rick looked pissed. The guy threw another beer an it hit Rick's amp. Rick started screaming and the band stopped and left the stage. 10 minutes went by.....no band. The crowd was sceaming. Rick comes out alone and starts yelling into his mic.....

"We sold 4000 tickets today. 3999 of you deserve a show. 1 of you wants to throw beer cans at us. Her's the deal.......I'll bring my band back out under one condition.....If one more person throws a beer can, I expect 3999 our you to beat the f****** sh** out of him"

The crowd started screaming. Screaming. The fat greasy haired biker looked scared sh**less. No more beer cans were thrown in the air. They sounded grreat,

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
That show sounded amazing. A friend is going to see them Sunday at the Capitol Theater and has an extra ticket that I unfortunately had to turn down. I’m a big fan and would love to see them again, though.