Saw Bob Dylan tonight.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Oct 12, 2019.

1. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I’ve got tix to see him, 3rd row center, in Iowa in a couple weeks. Seeing him with my buddy of 60 years, the guy who first introduced me to Bob in the 60s. Same venue as we saw Bob back in 94.

Bob’s shows can be hit or miss, and I am hoping for the best on this one. But I’d see him anytime. First time was Rolling Thunder Revue I in 1975. Saw him often in 90’s and early 2000’s.

Started jamming yesterday on the open tuning songs from Blood on the Tracks, when my local guitar friend suggested it. Great timing.

Greggorios and dented like this.
  2. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I saw him last the day we started dropping bombs on Iraq.

Closed with "Blowin in the wind" and if you were a 60's kid, that was the anthem of a generation at the time.

His voice was terrible and sang out of time, but the songs are incredible - prophet of our generation.

3. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

He’s a legend. Cool that you saw him in my book and the good show was a bonus!

4. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

Only saw him once, early 00's with Willie. Fantastic, musicianship was top notch. Anybody that's a fan oughta see him soon.

5. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Seeing him in two weeks for the first time. Thanks for the report! I’m very much looking forward to it.

6. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've seen him 6 times and different every show except it's Bob so go figure, but his band of many years is always top notch. He's Mn. soon but I may have to miss it

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The last time I saw him two years ago he was singing waaaaaay better than when I saw him 10 years before.

I think the Sinatra/crooner records he did really helped him.

8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good for you. Am jealous. Haven't seen him in almost 20 years.

dented likes this.
  9. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the review and pictures! I saw him a couple times, loved every minute of it. He's one of the very few legends that survived the '70s. Imagine if Janis, Jim Morrison, Duane, Jimi, Graham Parsons, Keith Richards, Lowell George, etc., etc., were still around? Wait... Keith made it too, awesome.

verb boten likes this.
  10. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I looked at my girlfriend half way through the concert and remarked how Bob was such a storyteller, with music. She agreed, then she asked me who is Lenny Bruce? Lenny is in the lyrics of a song that Dylan pays tribute.

Greggorios likes this.
  11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I learned the truth from Lenny Bruce. . . .

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

my wife and I saw him with Tom Petty in Vancouver ( she's a huge fan) and I did a show here in kamloops for him , he treats his people very well , but he is allusive

Greggorios and dented like this.
  13. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

That's a great opening line for a song.

I learn the truth from Lenny Bruce
    Before I turned sixteen...

Greggorios, P Thought and dented like this.
  14. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

Guitarist changing guitars for every number. I really don't get that.

dented likes this.
  15. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Saw him twice in the big-band '78 tour (Binghamton & Buffalo). Once in '88, I think, and again in '92, I think, both in Charlottesville.

The two '78 shows were very similar, as that was such a rehearsed and theatrical and somewhat canned tour. Some of those versions--especially of "Blowin' in the Wind," "Like a Rolling Stone," "Senor," "It's Alright Ma," etc.--were unforgettably powerful. Others, like "Girl from the North Country," "I Don't Believe You," etc., were really lovely. Overall great shows, despite how panned they were by the era's critics.

The '88 and '92 shows were very different from '78, and from one another.

In '88, he was spitting fire vocally, and literally spitting on the stage floor, sometimes between lines. All electric, with Dylan on a blonde Tele and GE Smith using his own Tele like a Marine sergeant leading a charge, shaping it around Dylan's singing and timing while also keeping the song and band's shape going.

In '92, Dylan played a big Gibson acoustic the whole time, and was all smiles and grins.

Glad I didn't see him when he has just phoned it in. And yeah, you gotta love him already or be in the Tom Waits School of Appreciated Gravel to enjoy his concerts in these last 10, 20, 30 years. No matter how good the bands and arrangements are, when he's mumbling or bleating, it's sad and frustrating. He can still get a lot of mileage and expression out of his ravaged voice, but he sure did ravage it. You can hear it shredding in the last dozen or shows of the Rolling Thunder Revue tour.

One of the big joys of being a father has been to watch my kids, and my youngest son particularly, develop a love for his stuff, on their own. It's always been around the house, but it's just one among the many types of music I listen to. They gravitated toward it very strongly on their own when they got to be 12 or so. The other day, my youngest was overhearing me listening to the original version of "One Too Many Mornings" and he said, "Wow--that's really--what do you call that?"

"Great phrasing, son, of the guitar and the voice."

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    P Thought and dented like this.
  16. P Thought

Careful, though. Paul Simon (or was it Art Garfunkel) might object to your lifting his line from "A Simple Desultory Phillipic".

Blue Bill likes this.
  17. P Thought

:lol: That about sizes me up

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  18. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Bob Dylan is my favorite artist. Hands down. And has been since I discovered him in the sixties.

rangercaster, dented and Mike Eskimo like this.
  19. Benn

Benn TDPRI Member

telestratosonic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.