Saw Bill Kirchen Last Night at the Cottonwood in Houston, TX

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Tenderfoot, May 10, 2017.

1. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

My son and I went to a free Bill Kirchen show last night at the Cottonwood in Houston, TX. While the opening band (Randy Weeks Band also very good) was playing Bill blended in with the crowd and someone not knowing him would think he was just another customer who appreciated good music.

Any hoot, as he passed by my table I invited him to sit down for a chat (and of course to get a picture with him (see posted picture)). He is a real down-to-earth gentleman with a genuine friendliness. Later in the evening he autographed by son's telecaster.

The sound was amazingly "Bad A$$" that even my IPhone 6S got a good recording of his classic "Hot Rod Lincoln" (see posted link). It's 12 minutes long and shows the versatility that Bill has. The bass player and drummer are also very talented and as you listen to the video keep in mind there are only three instruments playing but the sound is so full, most in part to Bill's unique style of playing and the tightness of the band.

Like myself, Bill is up in years but as Hank Thompson put it in one of his hit songs, " The Older the Violin, the Sweeter the Music"

Enjoy

Attached Files:

El Tele Lobo, brookdalebill and 1955 like this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So cool, that guy can play! I always thought the way he set up his Tele control plate made more sense to me than the factory set up.

Congrats sounds like you had a great time , Frame that pic!

texastengu likes this.
  3. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic

Damn! I had no idea he was in town. Great picture. So happy you got to see him!

texastengu likes this.
  4. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

He took the time to talk to me right before his show, really genuine and cool guy, not to mention a monster of a guitar player!

El Tele Lobo and texastengu like this.
  5. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

I'm jealous! May have to go see him next time he comes through town. He's an animal on that Tele!

texastengu likes this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very cool!
    I'm going to see Bill & Redd at Austin Vintage Guitar this Sunday!

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    BlueCajun likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.