Saw Big Wreck last night. Holy crap, were they good.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by StrangerNY, Sep 20, 2019.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Went to the Gramercy in NYC last night and saw the second date on Big Wreck's tour. After a short but pretty good set by fellow Canadians Texas King (and a short but sweet acoustic set by NYC's Tommy London), Thornley and co. took the stage in front of a packed house.

Great set. They did all the hits (The Oaf, Blown Wide Open, That Song, Albatross), plus a few from the new album and a few that I wasn't too familiar with (I'll cop to not knowing their entire discography). The band sounded amazing - despite it being only the second date of the tour, it was obvious they were ready for it. Ian's solos were, as per usual, jaw dropping, he was in fine voice, the rhythm section provided plenty of muscle, and new guitarist Chris Caddell filled all the right spots on rhythm and background vocals.

It was an emotional night for Ian - he referenced the death of Brian Doherty and admitted that he was a little distracted by the feeling of being back on stage without him.

And the guitars! Between Thornley, Caddell and bassist Dave McMillan, I counted at least 10 Suhr guitars, Caddell used a couple of Collings and an Ed O'Brien Strat with the sustainer. Ian also used a Music Man double neck on a couple of tunes (after mentioning Brian Doherty, he played a really nice slide version of Amazing Grace on the Music Man).

If they come to your town, you need to go. With the scarcity of good guitar rock nowadays, Big Wreck rolls it out in spades. Five stars, two thumbs up, a hell yeah and an amen. Go see them.

(Cross-posted to TGP.)

DrASATele and nojazzhere like this.
  2. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

They are so underrated. "That Song" is such a good, good, good track.

DrASATele likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Not familiar with them. I'll check some out!

DrASATele likes this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I'm jealous. The closest they'll be to here is Nashville, and that ain't really close.
    Glad you had a good time!

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Great band, Jazz. This is from the show last night. Ian's a monster soloist. Me and a guitar player friend were watching this from the front (if you can pick out a dude in a ball cap and ponytail in front of the bass player, that's me). Jaw-dropping.

This was an MTV hit for them, from the first album

Anybody know what that 8 string bass is? It sounded killer.

Here's more! The second guitarist is playing the Ed O'Brien Strat with the sustainer.

- D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.