Saw a stones cover band last night!

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
I’m sure that was tongue-in-cheek, as if the Stones were concerned, but it made me think about potential legal issues that might ensue. I play in a cover band and we’ve never had a problem with ASCAP, but there’s a local club that only hires indie bands. It’s rumored that they want to avoid having a fine slapped on them, but I think it’s just that - rumor. I saw Rain many years ago and they covered different eras of the Beatles, even changed wardrobe to fit. They really payed attention to detail.
Ive never seen a Stones tribute band but have seen 2 Beatles bands. The Beatles: Get Back and Rain. Both were beyond expectations and Rain was a 1st rate show.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
We have friends that love to go to tribute band shows, I honestly hate them. I went with them to a couple of shows and found it sad to watch people my age sing along. I don't mind a cover band, but watching a guy dress like Tom Petty or Bono and mime their moves is weird to me.
It's pretty much like watching a stage performance of a Shakespeare piece, the performers there also dress up in period correct clothing.

I saw Randy Hansen live, and it was THE BEST Jimi Hendrix tribute show I ever saw.

timbgtr

Tele-Meister
My reaction is a little different. I wish musicians with the skill and talent to pull off tribute shows so well could get gigs doing their own stuff, or at least their own interpretations rather than reproducing the record. But I get it and admire it.

Mindthebull

Tele-Meister
I saw the Stones live in 2016 and glad I did get the chance. They are definitely the best stones tribute band out there. The one really remarkable thing about the show was Keith’s voice. Happy and You got the Silver were the highlights of the show. My wife and I both agreed his voice has actually improved with age if that’s possible. The guy is like Benjamin Button.

posttoastie

Friend of Leo's
I thought it was a Recorder. Is that a flute?
Good call, Ruby Tuesday isolating the piano and recorder.

1657471124503.png

Last edited:

lil scotty

Tele-Holic
I’m sure that was tongue-in-cheek, as if the Stones were concerned, but it made me think about potential legal issues that might ensue. I play in a cover band and we’ve never had a problem with ASCAP, but there’s a local club that only hires indie bands. It’s rumored that they want to avoid having a fine slapped on them, but I think it’s just that - rumor. I saw Rain many years ago and they covered different eras of the Beatles, even changed wardrobe to fit. They really payed attention to detail.
It is my understanding that the venues you play at have to pay ASCAP, BMI etc for you to play there, same as if they have a jukebox.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
It is my understanding that the venues you play at have to pay ASCAP, BMI etc for you to play there, same as if they have a jukebox.
Just out of curiosity, is it the "honor system". How can the publishers etc know who is playing whatever in some isolated bar/grill/community center, etc?
I've never understood the mechanism for this.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Just out of curiosity, is it the "honor system". How can the publishers etc know who is playing whatever in some isolated bar/grill/community center, etc?
I've never understood the mechanism for this.

I doubt it is an honor system. If you only hire bands that only play originals and you don't pay the ASCAP fee, you run the risk of one band doing one cover and you losing your business or being sued over it.

If there is music at all at your establishment, pay the fee. There is no easy way around it that is "safe". I've heard it is not huge? A few thousand a year or something like that?

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
If there is music at all at your establishment, pay the fee. There is no easy way around it that is "safe". I've heard it is not huge? A few thousand a year or something like that?

So it's a blanket fee? That clears up a lot. How does ASCAP know how to distribute the $$?
(please pardon my ignorance)

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
So it's a blanket fee? That clears up a lot. How does ASCAP know how to distribute the $$?
(please pardon my ignorance)

I believe it is a blanket fee based on "we can play music any time and the establishment will hold 'x' number of people".

The money is put back into a "large pot" that is then distributed according to estimated play repetition. I would assume radio station play lists would be used to make those estimate models.

On-line is easier, since you know how many times a song has been streamed. However, since it is an audience of 1 per stream, the revenue is almost non-existent for the artist unless there are hundreds of millions of streams.

Someone else here probably knows better - or can correct me.

Last edited:

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I believe it is a blanket fee based on "we can play music any time and the establishment will hold 'x' number of people".

The money is put back into a "large pot" that is then distributed according to estimated play repetition. I would assume radio station play lists would be used to make those estimate models.

On-line is easier, since you know how many times a song has been streamed. However, since it is an audience of 1 per stream, the revenue is almost non-existent for the artist unless there are hundreds of millions of streams.

Someone else here probably knows better - or can correct me.
That makes sense. Thanks

BramptonRob1958

Tele-Holic
I've seen a variety of tribute bands over the years, from Beatles to Abba and many others. The good ones, were very good.....the bad ones were just bad.....

However, I've also attended many concerts of the Real Deal Headliner Acts that were well past there "Best Before Date" and trying to hang on... usually not he original band members... one or 2 supplemented by others that were actually painful to watch and listen to.

The great thing about the time we live in, is that YouTube is your friend when trying to decide if you should go or not....

In fact some of the Tributes are exceptionally talented and professional in their attention to detail. Everything from gear to costume and of course the music....

If you go in with an open mind you'll generally come away having an enjoyable evening, especially after 2 years of lockdown! It's live, it's music and they are artists even though they are portraying other bands....

Some of you might be familiar with a Band named Leonid and Friends..... they cover "Chicago" which is not an easy band to copy.... They do an incredible job.... So there are Cover's out there worth listening to.... Your mileage may vary...