Saw a man die onstage yesterday night

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Breen, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Heavy stuff, but what can you do when it's how it is, ya know?

It was rock night at the Esplanade Mosaic Festival here in Singapore, and they got a bunch of local rock bands form the 70s to play the outdoor stage Friday night. The band on is called The Esquires, and the deceased, Charlie, was the percussionist. They had done Burning Love, She's A Lady and a couple of other stuff, and were halfway through Vehicle when Charlie suddenly kinda collapsed stiff on the floor behind his congas. Half the band carried on the song while Esplanade staff rushed onstage. I had noticed Charlie was looking out of breath, not being very strong hitting the congas, but you could see he was absolutely giving his all. He was 60.

Singapore has been having our driest spell in 146years, so it was hot last night, 31deg C, 88deg F? Also we have been getting haze from burning forest and farm lands in Indonesia, so it was smokey as well. The surreal thing was, everyone had their hands on their mouths, the lights came on, and the band still carried on with Vehicle, "...pray God in heaven you know I lovveeee you." -horn lick-

For about 10mins we saw CPR administered and then a defibrillator was brought on. About 12-15mins later the paramedics arrived. Just as they did, the venue staff had quickly brought out a tarpaulin usually used to cover the equipment onstage in case of rain, to shield us from the scene. By the security was shooing people politely away from the outdoor seating. I was right at the top so I was allowed to sit there. They wheeled him off soon after, quickly. The next set by another band, Heritage, was suppose to start, and it was decided the show would go on. Heritage had just a very recently lost their singer Atwell Jensen, who was healthy and died when he fell off his bike on a outdoors ride. He was 62. But I thought it was good they carried on yesterday, if not the mood at the entire venue would have been heavy. Heritage rocked in the way they know how.

Strangely, I'm slightly affected by what I saw. But I'm good, crap happens, ya know? I'm still going down tonight, might even go see John Pizzarelli.

http://www.tnp.sg/content/musician-collapses-stage-and-dies

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Wow! :eek: Condolences to Charlie and his family.

Then again, I hope I live a long life and die a quick death while performing on a stage. Sounds like an awesome way to go all things considered. If that happens to me I hope the show continues and everybody has a great party in my honor.

3. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

Yes, he died doing what he loved.

Better that than suffering months or years with some terminal disease.

That's the way I'd want to go.

RIP

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I was playing a gig in a pub about 25 years ago when a guy at the bar keeled over and died. We carried on, ambulance came, took him away . . .

I know weren't a great band, but I didn't think we were that bad.

5. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

A reminder that we never know when, so make it count!

6. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I would wanna go the same way.

7. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

You weren't bad, you were knocking 'em dead, just killing 'em! Bands struggle for years to get to that level.

All kidding aside, I'm sorry to hear about the percussionist.

8. Telegator

Telegator Tele-Afflicted

I saw something similar one night while we were playing. A man at a table fell from his chair and died. EMS arrived within five to ten minutes because they had a station just down the street but I think the man was dead before he hit the floor.

Condolences to this man's family.

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Compared to a slow, painful death, a quick death is a form of mercy. Condolences to all involved. The show must go on philosophy demonstrates the frailty of man, and the acceptance of it by others.

10. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Heavy stuff indeed.

I saw our drummer die the same way. 4th song into the gig with our rehearsal-room-mates band.
    we had a beer just before the gig started and I was only 3 metres away when it happened. :eek::cry: though stuff

RIP

11. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Rest in peace Charlie (I don't know the guy)… but as a musician, I'm sure he would've wanted the show to go on. He would've wanted the audience to continue enjoying the show. I think going down tonight (I'm assuming the event goes for several days?) would be a good way to honour Charlie or anyone who has dedicated their life to music.

And may peace be unto you too, Breen. Live your life to the full, encourage those around you and you too will be encouraged, no regrets right...

12. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

This was Charlie at his last show. I hope his family is coping as best as they can. While some might be sad and such, I think the musos here agree exiting his stage like he did is the way some of us would want it.

[​IMG]

It's a 12 day fest, guys like Kurt Rosenwinkel, John McLaughlin, Dee Dee Bridgewater, John Pizzarelli, Olafur Arnalds where around amongst many others. And it was actually perfect Heritage came on after. I won't get into details but Heritage has been having struggles due to death and age, and they came on to rock it, and yes, Heritage rock it with the dedication of a lifetime of music.

Tonight though, we were waylaid by a live-stream-on-mega-screens-free-gig of the Rolling Stones, who were playing inside to the $500 bucks a seat folk. It was the best gig that I've been that I did not actually attend. Mick, Keith, Ron and Charlie came out to say hi to the freebies outside, and then immediately went in to start their gig.

The Stones gig was across the bay from The Esplanade, walking distance or a boat ride away, soooo sorry Esplanade and Mosaic Fest. I missed some awesome local guitar virtuoso named Rosli Mansor, and some funk and Indian fusion jazz.

Thanks all, live well and the very best to you and your families.

13. choupique

choupique Tele-Holic

Something similar happened to me about 15 years ago. I was working video for ESPN at a LSU football game. I was up in the press box setting up our stuff and the local radio engineer was setting up his stuff. Just business as usual. About an hour later I was standing outside of our production truck and an ambululance pulled up with sirens screaming. (to get all the drunk LSU fans out of the way) After about 20 or 30 minutes they brought said radio engineer out on a stretcher and administering CPR. He had had a massive heart attack and was probably dead when they rolled past me. The worst part is that our stage manager who was a sweet young girl was the one who found him. His name was Tom.

14. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This thread is bringing back memories of Dick Montana, and the Beat Farmers. Dick was a funny guy, and a known prankster. So when he collapsed on stage the band got a great laugh out of it, and finished the set with him laying right in the middle of it. It was quite a bit before anyone figured out he actually died.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Man, I am sorry to hear that.

Once more, guys, when you die at 60 that's where you get off and everyone is going to try and pick up the pieces but you're leaving them a lot of work and a lot of loss. This guy probably has family and they can't just get another conga player like a band can.

So take care of yourselves. If the weather/playing conditions are usual or difficult, compensate for it. Watch for heat exhaustion, heat stroke, hyponatremia, all this stuff. As ugly as it can be, trying to perform at near 100% relative humidity, when you take away the humidity that you're used to, you're gonna need to force yourself to hydrate like no one's business - so cover your bandmates and keep drinking more water maybe with some electrolytes added.

And remember, nobody is really getting "fitness exercise" on the bandstand unless you're doing what Jagger does. Charlie looks lean enough, but you gotta get into a separate fitness regimen and stay after it to better your odds. I get the feeling he coulda had another 25 nice years and now that's gone.

My condolences to Charlie's family and circle. Rest in peace, man.

16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

From the article:

"A guest percussionist with a local band suddenly collapsed while performing at the Esplanade's Outdoor Theatre last night (March 14)."

"Guest" percussionist. I wonder if he asked to sit in.

17. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

The stage is no place to die, especially if you have
    a family waiting for you to come home.

18. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Shock!!! By the title I was assuming this was a Tonight Show thread... That's too bad for the percussionist, but like stated before... If a musician is going to pick a way to go, this would probably be it...

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For me, that's true. Totally. If I have to leave this world, and we all do sooner or later, because life is a terminal condition... The only other way I'd be happy checking out, is not something I would ever wish on my wife. I've been through all the possibilities a million times in my head. If I got to choose, I'd choose rocking.

20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Watching somebody lose their life, no matter the reason, isn't easy. Nor should it.
    May GOD rest his soul and give Comfort to his Family.

If I die on stage, I know what my Band's reaction would be: String Tree will do ANYTHING to get out of helping us with the Load-Out!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.