Saw a guitar I was interested in on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don’t know how much my guitars weigh so I would answer I don’t know. How about not very heavy?

Can you name the weight of your guitars?

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

15 year seller on all platforms. Hundreds of guitars.

I Weigh them. Then I post that weight on my listing!

I know it will eventually come up every other guitar or so.

I hate questions by sellers. I don’t really like the sellers.

But if you’re gonna give me money for something I’m selling ?

I’ll jump through the hoops…

Maguchi, bender66, JJLC and 4 others like this.
  3. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Probably have a spreadsheet...

Maguchi likes this.
  4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm close to you age wise, weight does matter to me and a lot of other folks. For me it's about comfort if playing a guitar for an extended period of time, not tone.

If I am buying to resell weight maynmay be an issue but I have definitely passed on a lot of guitars that I was interested in keeping if they were too heavy for my comfort zone.

I've got a cheap digital postal scale it's very easy to weigh a guitar or body , I pretty much always do that when I am selling.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  5. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I guess some of us gotta say "thank God for heavey guitars and big women" If you want to do anything less than sell your guitar, then don't list the weight? Don't explain why it smells like your feet? And don't tell us your cat only pissed on it once. How ridiculous does one have to be not to list the weight or answer the question? It is moronic behaviour. HEY, I just bought a house. DOes it smell like **** inside? I don't know, I bought it sight unseen. I guess if you are a guitar whore, pointy, smelly, too big, too small, skinny neck, fat neck, wouldn't matter to you.. Let me tell you Jamokes someting. I actually tried the travis been protototype, BEFORE ANYONE HEARD OR KNEW OF TRAVIS. Heavy? This guitar weighed close to 20 Lbs, serious. It was not weight relieved like the production model. SOunded better than your heavy guitar too. I assure you no one except a 7ft monster would like the weight. I do not want a Tele or Strat that weighs over 7 & 1/2 lbs. I know what they feel like. WHen weight overcomes comfort, the exit light should be flashing in your head. ANd I bet anyone here loving theri heavy Tel or Strat, would stuter to play a 6.8lb Danocaster, Fender CS, Nash, or whatever. I don't care how mucu you can get a 7. 8 lbs strat to resonate. Its a door stop at that weight, or I need another grothw spurt.. Long story short, outside of this weight discussion. THe 2nd you do not answer a question, a fair question, indicates you are a close minded twit.It has nothing to do with weight other than ones close mindedness.

6. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Or it is indicative of the collapse of our culture. Less & less people act in classy ways anymore.

Lakeabilene, bender66 and nojazzhere like this.
  7. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

My uncle switched from strats to a Les Paul in his 60s. And he's a little guy. Had more to do with scale length and not working his hand so hard.

Mast0rs and teleman1 like this.
  8. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

haha, this is so true. I bought a Squier for $50 off an older guy who told me, "Too bad it didn't say 'Fender', I could have gotten thousands for it!"

FenderGuy53, nojazzhere and naneek like this.
  9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Feel better now? :)

since71 and pippoman like this.
  10. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Wait a 2nd, my Bidet is almost finished doing its job, then, I will feel better.

DjimiWrey, pippoman and nojazzhere like this.
  11. naneek

naneek Tele-Meister

I'm in the US. The guitar was a mexican 2002 fender toronado in pretty rough shape. My toronado is my favorite guitar, and I have been looking for a second toronado in either non-original condition or beat-up original condition to use as a platform for modification.

I think the seller expected some kind of ultra high collector value due to the recent release of the squier toronado.

By contrast, in 2010 I bought my '98 toronado deluxe, effectively unused, for $350 including shipping.

edit: what do you guys think? is the seller right to expect a huge premium for his toronado due to the recent release of the squier toronado?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

Unless I am fairly knowledgeable regarding a certain brand and model of guitar, I don't go anywhere near Craigslist. Established brands may have slight variances in weight, but not over the top.

naneek likes this.
  13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't know what any of my guitars weigh. I suppose if I was selling one, and the buyer really needed to know, then I would weight it. Not sure how accurate my bathroom scale is.

nojazzhere and naneek like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If anyone wants an accurate idea of a guitar's weight, go to your nearest U.S. Post Office. (at least while they're still open ;)) The clerk will weigh it for you (they REALLY are nice and helpful folks) or use the self-service kiosk in the entry way.
    Anything you like or dislike about a guitar can be evaluated by playing it, but we still have curiosity about the body wood, pickups, neck profile and scale......and, for some of us, the weight. Now.....if you contacted me and asked what the cosmic aura of a guitar I'm selling was, I'd definitely roll my eyes.....but almost anything else is fair game, whether you want to know it or not.

pippoman likes this.
  15. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to that much trouble.

16. 6tzguy

6tzguy TDPRI Member

Well, I'm a bass player/guitar player and on TalkBass their obsessed with weight. I understand that basses are heavier than most 6 strings, but I'm 69 yrs old and If it's heavy, I just use a wider strap????

Mast0rs, Denton and notmyusualuserid like this.
  17. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

All I know is that my 60s standard weighs more than my 73 tele.
    Never weighed either don't care.
    But still want a dano.

Mast0rs and naneek like this.
  18. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow! :eek:

gregulator450 likes this.
  19. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Holic

Most people are 20 plus pounds overweight but I’ll be damned if they’re gonna play a guitar that weighs 2 pounds more than their other ones.

Mast0rs and JRtele like this.
  20. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

I hope you're wrong, teleman1... :cool:
    ...but I fear that you may be right! :(

teleman1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.