1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Saw a dude at the gym bench press over 400 pounds

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by emu!, Jan 29, 2013.

1. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Four of those 45 pound disks on each side of the bar. The bar weighs 45 pounds...thats 9 x 45 = 405.

I'd say that he was about 6 foot tall and weighed around 240.

Didn't really look like a bodybuilder, but then...I didn't want to stare...you know...it's not good to stare at those dudes.

Juicing?

2. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

My brother used to work out with 350, maxed at over 400 when he was in undergrad. About 6 ft tall, maybe a little over 200lb at the time. He wasn't doing anything but protein shakes and workout drinks. Took him a while to get there, but he was really steady about it through high school and college.

3. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Make sure you get off the elevator before he does.

4. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hate this.

I know you're just suggesting conversation, but a 400 pound bench press is certainly attainable without drugs for some guys. I got really close to that myself but could never quite get there (I think my arms are too long).

I was accused of steroids a few times, and once that accusation is made, it becomes sensationalized and people run with it faster than tabloid headlines in line at Wal-Mart. Despite the fact that I didn't even know anyone that was taking steroids, and had no idea what a source for them might be - I was "guilty" in the eyes of many people.

The truth is, getting a proper diet and slamming down the protein will take someone a very long way down the road to physical fitness and muscle building.

5. grinchmonkey

grinchmonkey Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

yes

6. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I don't see what the big deal is about juicing. There's no way your going to pack on THAT much muscle on a juice diet. :D

[​IMG]

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Lifting for power is different from lifting for bulk. Lotsa guys who are really huge aren't necessarily really strong, and lotsa guys who are really strong aren't all that huge.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

True.

Once you are around 'roiders they aren't that hard to spot. You'll know. Beady eyes, weird cheeks/jaws, skin all messed up - like when you see someone that you know has had plastic surgery.

Guy I worked w/ at a cider mill during college was shooting himself in the butt daily and he was crannnnnkkkky.

One time a bee (we would get stung 2-3 times a day in the fall) got under his shirt and just as we were hosing the crushed apples into the ricks/blankets while a bunch of kindergartners were watching - it stung him.

He whips down the hose and starts cursing every word under the sun, kicks over the partition and storms out of the mill. Kid's eyes were like saucers.

I went over and turned the pump off (apple splooge was everywhere...:lol:).

Ahhh... those crazy juicers !

9. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Went to high school in a very rural area with a guy that worked (when not at school) at the local feed mill where he loaded and unload 50-75-100 pound bags of feed, fertilzer, and other heavey stuff all day long. He was incredibly strong. Kind of like one of those old farm boy stereotypes you might see in a movie. Wonder how much he could have lifted. He weighed over 300 lbs, and get this, he could run a 4.8 40. Would have been a great football player, but really did not have great football skills.

10. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

In my youth I was a gym rat. Pretty strong back then and genetics allowed me to get pretty big. Never did roids but was asked if I did. Took it as a compliment! Hard work paying off is what I thought! I've seen strong guys who were relatively small muscle wise. They just were naturally strong. What is really impressive is when you calculate how much above their own body weight are they lifting.

11. walleyeman

walleyeman Tele-Holic

400 lbs not that big of a deal. Not a sign of PEDs.

12. justin.ramsey

justin.ramsey Tele-Holic

I've seen guys to 400 easily before who were not on steroids. I was one of the spotters for a guy that benched 515 and was not juicing. Its possible just not common. Hell i know a guy who weighs 155 and is benching near 300

13. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

Bodybuilders are not generally very strong, this is a common misconception. They are gaining bulk, but not strength. It's the people who slowly continue to build lean muscle that are strong.

14. endzone

endzone Friend of Leo's

This is only partially true . It's all about how you train. In college, I competed as a powerlifter against steroid users and trust me, they can be very strong. If you train for nothing but bodybuilding, then you won't have the strength as compared to training with heavy weights for power. But that is true for someone who isn't juicing as well. Steroids WILL make you stronger, artifically as that might be. It's what they do!

15. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

You're right. I wasn't considering that.

16. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

If steroids don't improve your performance, are all those atheletes who have lost thier medals and fame wasting their money and careers?

17. endzone

endzone Friend of Leo's

The really interesting angle on steroid use is the effect they have on the user's "package". Let's just say it's not very manly....just sayin

18. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    I do that now(twice a week) at 47 years old. I'm 6'1" and I don't look like a bodybuilder. I've never juiced.

19. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I think there is a range here. A bodybuilder will be very strong compared to the general population of people, including people who exercise or work out for general fitness. They are spending exponentially more hours lifting weights.

The power weightlifter, who is working out specifically for strength will be stronger than a competing bodybuilder. But they are also stronger than everybody. So just because the bodybuilder is not the strongest person, I would say they will be stronger than everyone but the dedicated power lifter.

20. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Where are the pickups on that axe...?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.