saw a discarded surgical mask in grocery parking lot

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

If you've shopped at a Wal Mart only three times in your life, I'll bet you saw a dirty diaper in the parking lot during two of those visits.

Bill and nojazzhere like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have "these are the people of Walmart" playing in muh head.

3. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I guess I'm a jerk then. If I'm not coughing or sneezing, are mask really needed? I do social distance and take what I touch. Plus, I carry clorox wipes and wipe pump handles, door handles and buggy handles before and after using.

TelenTubes likes this.
  4. DrPepper

nope

5. DrPepper

I would move from that environment...

6. DrPepper

At micky d's...

985plowboy likes this.
  7. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep I was thinking the same thing.

"I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand..." :D

2blue2 and TheGoodTexan like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Once, when my grandson was very young, we were at a public park, in a very nice part of town, and found a (presumably) used hypodermic syringe. I got a Kleenex from my car and threw it in a trashcan.
    I'm always looking for used and discarded Krugerrands.......;)

DrPepper and 2blue2 like this.
  9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

You get used to it... but yeah, I agree. When I retire, I'm gone.

10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

You don't need a surgical mask, but anything that helps reduce viral dose potentially exhaled or inhaled helps us all at large. Masks are not a replacement for social distancing, and social distancing is not a replacement for masks. The two together can do a lot, and masks can't hurt a thing. In short, there is no reason for a mask not to be worn in public, if you are going to be within, say, 15 or 20 feet of anyone indoors.

Much of the transmission is believed to be from asymptomatic people. And viral loads are believed by some researchers to be highest before symptoms appear, or right as they are beginning to appear (before anyone would take note).

You have a conversation with someone, and you are both expelling and inhaling each other's moisture droplets. That's why the six foot rule. That rule is not to eliminate moisture transmission from person to person, but to highly reduce it. You still swap spit particles when you are around people at six feet – just a lot less of them. An uncovered sneeze on the next aisle over could float to you. Social distancing helps a lot, but it doesn't do nearly enough.

You can't live your life in a bubble, but it really comes down to this: viral dose matters. Your body can handle a few virus particles here and there. It's large doses of them that overwhelm the immune system. So it's not an all or nothing approach, like: "Masks aren't perfect anyhow, so why bother?" Even simple cloth masks, while not being anywhere near as effective as "real" masks, cut down on the dose received if you are inhaling moisture particles, and the dose expelled when you are exhaling them. And social distancing takes care of most of the rest when it comes to inhaling or exhaling the virus. Do these two things, and you are saving lives, plainly and simply – not only directly, but by keeping people out of the medical system, which already can't handle what's happening.

Be smart, educated, and compassionate about this thing. Every transmission that doesn't happen because of some small precaution you or the stranger next to you took is a victory for the medical field. Your small actions have ripple effects, the results of which you will never see. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do them. And it's no skin off anyone's back to exercise an abundance of caution.

All I can say is, bottom line: Read what the medical field has to say about this. Not your public officials. Not your government agencies. Educate yourself. Read five or ten articles a day from relatively balanced and objective sources. There's no reason anybody at this point should be asking the question you asked; it's purposeful ignorance at this point. The information is out there, if you care enough to find it. And even if you have your doubts, admit that you might not know best, and wear a cloth covering anyhow. It doesn't hurt you in the slightest, and the absolute worst it can do is have no effect.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    DrPepper likes this.
  11. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lots of people are A.H.’s who don’t consider others ever.

nojazzhere and EsquireOK like this.
  12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

We live in a small town (1800 people) my son and I have been going for long walks in the evening... the last few nights we have taken a trash bag each and a stick with a nail in it... and we're picking up stuff that gets left or falls on the ground.

We kind of think we can clean the whole town in a couple of weeks if we stay on it.

People are freaked out. I see it everywhere. Nervous and anxious and upset. Some people MAY be lazy or whatever, but why process that? Every little bit we pick up and clean up helps... if you want your little corner of heaven to have a little less hell, it starts with us. The dump is like 12.80 a visit. I figure I'll have 50 bucks in it when we stop... how fun is that!?

13. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Lots of surgical gloves in the lowes parking lots. Bunch of loosers.

14. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

One good thing that has come from recent events is the lack of school shootings. I've enjoyed the break.

alnicopu and 2blue2 like this.
  15. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

You are correct. I went grocery shopping today, first time out of the house since 3/26. Our Governor has asked everyone leaving the house to wear masks. I did, but I’m guessing from what I saw today, only about 40% of the people shopping we’re wearing masks. Walking back to the car, I saw several used gloves and masks laying in the parking lot.:rolleyes:

16. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

In before the lock...

17. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

I'll give you $10.00!

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just once, I want to stumble across a thread on cryptids and write "in before the loch"

[​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

As if someone else wants to pick up your contaminated stuff! We can't fix stupid.

20. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Litter most anywhere gets my goat. We used to be able to go out to the desert and shoot. We’d pick up our used brass, targets misc trash and take two or three extra big bags to pickup other’s trash as well. But, people. So, now most of that is closed off.

A few years ago, my a friend, my son and I went dove hunting on a friend of the friend’s farm. We met him, and he told us that we needed to pick up our shotgun husks. He noted that he understood that occasionally one would get away in the clover, but he expected the field not to be a bunch messier when we left than when we got there. My son looked at me and our friend and said it was sad world when someone had to mention that. One or two got away from me, but we all made sure to pick up more hulls than we shot (and a bunch of plastic wads as well). Doesn’t do to mess up the property anywhere, but especially where folks are gracious enough to allow you to hunt.

I take my cart to the collection points when I’m at the store, and make sure to pick up any accidental trash I might have dropped. It amazes me that I will almost invariably be taking back 1-3 more on the way. What the....????

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.