Saving the music industry : an HD version of audio

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rocksteady Max, Feb 8, 2012.

1. combstone

combstone TDPRI Member

When I hear a really good song, I don't give a crap about the sound quality. Just like when I hear a great guitar part, I don't give a crap about the tone.

2. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

No higher-quality format is going to save the music business, because the general public doesn't care about a higher-quality format. The average music consumer is not thinking "Gee, I'd pay extra for the new Adele album if only I could get it in a format with a higher dynamic range."

3. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

I would have to agree. When you add in the habitual corruption and theft from the artists, the music industry is what's wrong with the music industry. :mad:

It needs to go by the wayside, and be replaced with a system in which people buy the music directly from the artists themselves. This would allow fee-based streaming, as well as downloading, and it would also allow CD, DVD, and other tangible types of music products.

Look up a transcript of a Zappa speech in The Real Frank Zappa Book called "Bingo, there goes your tenure!" It tells you exactly why pop music is so bad. Then, read the rest of the book. ;)

4. ianasdfg

ianasdfg Tele-Afflicted

+1 to all the posters who say MP3 is more than good enough

The likes of uncompressed 24bit/48kHz gives digital effects some headroom during mixing, but for music listening Compressed 320kbps 16bit/44.kHz is way better than we can hear.

One of the many problems with the music industry today is the way they abuse the dynamic range offered by the format. What I've noticed recently is a lot of remasters have really screwed up listening quality. Check out recent Garbage and Queen remasters on spotify, great music compromised by some engineer trying to get every inch of subjective loudness out of it.

5. ianasdfg

ianasdfg Tele-Afflicted

I and millions of others now gladly pay £120 a year to hear music from Spotify (even we have 3 albums up there).

The artists who aren't there (beatles, floyd, etc) anyone can hear for free in a dozen other ways.

If in the 90s the industry's answer to Napster had been their own Spotify with an artist centric revenue calculation, rather than suing kids and little old ladies, there might still be a dynamic music culture of high quality original music.

6. cobrat

cobrat Tele-Holic

While I personally would prefer to pay for lossless formats, properly ripped mp3s are good enough for most people.

Unless you do all your listening through mid-high/high-end stereo system, most people aren't even going to perceive the difference....and if they did...they're not going to care given the greater levels of convenience.

This is coming in loud and clear as I'm currently test-listening to a friend's CD mix through crappy onboard speakers which come with the Dell Latitude D610 a friend's company recently gave away to me as "junk".

Even considering it is a laptop geared for corporate/businesses....the onboard speakers are unusually flat and lacking bass.

7. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

The thing about HiF is that way back when I was into Metal, Gothic and Industrial, I couldn't care less about sound quality. Just give me the loudest speakers and I'm rockin'.
    But with jazz, which mostly has acoustic instruments, sound quality of the source and your stereo, really makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

8. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

100% true.

I'd wager that the equipment doesn't matter anywhere near as much as the person listening. It wouldn't matter if the music is played through a decent boom box or some gorgeous tweaky system - only people who are keenly interested will notice the small differences.

My wife is a lovely person who (typically) cannot notice what I consider to be HUGE changes in sound - I can turn bass and treble controls all up and down, it's all the same to her. Needless to say, any nuances from HiDef audio are lost on her from the word "go"!

Different subject, but a D610 ain't no great shakes. Free is about the right price.

9. evilandy

evilandy Tele-Holic

A high def (they way it was meant to be heard) quality should be the standard. And we shouldn't have to pay premium prices for it. Mp3 quality $5.99 and high def $9.99. I think ten bucks at Amazon or iTunes is way too much for mp3 quality. As for CDs? Price them somewhere between high def and mp3s.

10. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

Are we also forgetting here, that everything is that compressed in the mastering stage for "loudness" that it's pointless having a HD audio file? Seems there's no dynamics left to hear nowadays anyway, seems kinda pointless...

11. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I prefer autotuned lyric songs to be ripped at a lower rate. :D

12. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

I prefer autotuned lyrics to be ripped at no bit rate, personally. I'd rather listen a lone guy with a jackhammer try and knock down the Opera House.

13. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Listen to mp3 and then FLAC or W4A....there is a noticeable difference.

I'm all for increasing quality, but we already have lossless files. What more do we need?

14. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the problems with the music industry have anything to do with format or delivery system. Just sayin'. :cool:

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Okay, so, that is the funniest, most entertaining post I've read in awhile...

Bee yoo ti full!

:D:D:D:D

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I do hope you're kidding. I won't even pay $15 for an album. Times are hard... must be nice to have money to burn.

17. evilandy

evilandy Tele-Holic

True, but I don't think that's the issue here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.