1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Saving Harley-Davidson?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Oct 31, 2020.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

There's more news out on the Harley project where a friend is is one of the engineers. It will be interesting to see how it competes against the top bicycle companies. My friend has hinted it's not just putting their name on open mold and OEM stuff from Asia.

Some of my Harley riding friends have bought e-assist bikes but nothing too serious.

https://www.serial1.com

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...uickly-launch-new-e-bicycle-brand/3746133001/

I'd want a bike that handled well but also handled utility tasks.

By saving, I don't think the current or past Harley model is sustainable. I'm not sure a lot of the kids of parents with Harleys can afford them in same way.

DrPepper and telemnemonics like this.
  2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't do it!

3. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I've only looked at the picture of the bike in the link you posted, and my initial impression is I like it.

That said, there's no way a bicycle is going to save Harley Davidson. They will live or die by the motorcycles, the lucrative licensing agreements are tied to them, not a bicycle.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Regarding E-bikes. The first company that incorporates a solar charge system that's not ridiculously large or heavy, gets my money. Something that charges while your are riding.

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

as above... they will live or die by the motorcycles they make. and thats why they moved some production overseas recently, to get into a different market. and they are building smaller bikes in the 500cc range (available in USA) (and possibly smaller ones over seas). the electric might give a boost over here. the old school Hardlys are really more of a niche market. mostly old guys... they are the ones that can afford them.

Obsessed likes this.
  6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Harley should stay focused .

El Marin, Obsessed and DLReed like this.
  7. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

In 2018 one million electric bicycles were sold in Germany alone
    Over 60% had a Bosch motor
    Big money....

sixstringbastard and Wallo Tweed like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Might be like FMIC buying all those recording tech companies and losing money there?
    If I recall that stuff correctly?

OTOH murican design initiatives are a good tree to bark up if not too closely tied to old timey traditions.

Maybe "HDCSI" could go down the road of Cycle System Innovation without calling ebikes "Harley"?

Lots of room for growth there, and US consumers seem ready to embrace this sort of stuff.
    I'd aim for more of a high tech cool look, rather than the sort of old timey look the first HD has.

Just a question not a statement, it does look cool and I love the old time dirt track Harleys more than the cruisers.

drlucky likes this.
  9. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My guess is that Harley Davidson as a brand will outlive Harley Davidson as a motorcycle manufacturer. They’ll become something like Ed Hardy, or probably more appropriately, Abercrombie and Fitch, who I believe used to actually be outfitters who sold fishing equipment.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Electric assist bicycles will get lighter and the motors/batteries less noticeable.

I’m sure a lot of folks have no idea what the average e bike weighs.

When Trek comes up with a super lightweight one and it’s still 30 pounds.

If you dig into the statistics of what bikes have actually been bought from April till now, it’s pretty astounding. Lots and lots of high-end models.

Harley ?

Schmarley.

This type/segment interests me at least as much as e-bikes :

46CC83E7-428C-45F9-8063-C1D94EF9B4BB.jpeg
    3E9328B7-EA48-43F3-B1E9-EFDB0FC2B9EF.jpeg

Belt drive, internal hub 11 speed

imwjl, Harry Styron and drlucky like this.
  11. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

It seems every new generation makes more money than their parents ever did, so I don't see affordability as an issue. Ever price a BMW? I don't see cost as an issue. E-bikes? I'm really not interested, but I have two Harleys.

Wallo Tweed and Obsessed like this.
  12. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

13. FenderLover

I guess you're right. Leave it to the millennials to drop the ball....
    My wife's kids already make more than us, so there's that.

As long as there are so many $60K-$80K SUV/trucks/cars on the road I think my point may still stand. We'll be burning fossil fuel long after I die.

Fiesta Red and bsman like this.
  14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Is it just Harley or are cycle sales down for all makes?

15. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Two thoughts on that:
    1. Parents who already bought HD motorcycles probably don't have enough money to buy their kids an HD e-bike.
    2. Kids of HD owner parents are middle-aged, and don't receive bicycles from their parents any more.

Yes, HD is on the way out.

16. FenderLover

from motorcyclesdata.com:
    Following a series of declining years, the start of 2020 have been full of optimistic data, with the market moderately growing in the first two months, even with Harley-Davidson in a growing pah after almost a decade. Indeed total motorcycles sales Year to Date February were 111.635 up 3.5%.

cycle world:
    The Pandemic Paradox: Motorcycle Sales Are Up

What is the number one selling motorcycle in the United States?
    Harley-Davidson

Wisconsin-based Harley-Davidson reached a market share of around 30 percent. Harley-Davidson is the number one motorcycle manufacturer in the United States.Oct 8, 2020

Wallo Tweed, duzie and BobbyZ like this.
  17. GeneB

GeneB TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Here in Tampa my local Lion's Club is sponsoring Toys for Tots. There isn't a single low-end Walmart type bicycle for sale anywhere here for kids for Christmas. All are 100% sold out. On the Gulf shore e-bikes are absolutely everywhere. They almost always have at least one basket, often three, and are used for the daily 'shop for food for the day' trip. Or use it to go out to eat etc. And it's something here to stay after the world heals itself. And when I can't pedal my Trek hybrid myself anymore (I'm 70 y/o) I will get one. Will it be a Harley? I might spring for one just for the irony. "I ride a Harley man!"

18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'm surprised Harley is having any trouble, seems like the only motorcycle any of my friends and coworkers want to own, or do own. Last few years a few of the die-hard Gold Wing guys I know switched to new Harley Davidsons.
    I'm not into new motorcycles at all, vintage bikes interest me a little. If a deal on a cool old BMW, Triumph, Norton, Indian or the like fell into my lap I might buy one. Wouldn't pass up a deal on an old Harley if I could flip it. Just don't care for the whole "Harley thing".
    I can say that here. :)

voodoostation likes this.
  19. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

They started out making bicycles, so I'm sure they can make good ones.

The problem is that the motorcycle and bicycle markets are flooded with different makers and an abundance of products that are moving out too slow. I wouldn't be surprised to see some companies go under soon.

20. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

I've had a bit of experience with e-bikes out of my shop(in Germany), I'd be careful of something coming out new on the market... I've seen a few come and go, right now the two that are getting the most action are Shimano steps and Bosch. Many manufacturers have dropped out of the market, and if you're stuck with a bike where the software can't be updated, the batterie replaced, or the motor sent in for service, it's an expensive way to find out how the market eventually takes care of itself. I also wonder if the belt is carbon reinforced, and why the spokes on the drive side are in the wrong direction... I've also seen bicycles from Mercedes that proved that a car company shouldn't do bicycles, and an interesting mountainbike from BMW that you couldnt get any parts for because they didn't stick to bicycle standards. The monolink fork was pretty cool though...

tanplastic, dswo, imwjl and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.