Saving a guitar from horrid death.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Bjarke15, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Bjarke15

Bjarke15 TDPRI Member

How much better would the guitar be with a new nut?

2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

That all depends on how bad the original is..... Dont get too hung up on bone blah-blah.....A hard slow wearing material is what matters......Thats why I suggested the Tusq nut , allready preslotted and usually very easy to fit....If the one you have is not too soft plastic material , its usually quite allright to rework the existing slots.....Trouble is , it takes some rather expensive tools sometimes , and it also takes some time to do....Thats why some factory nuts dont recieve the love they should have .....One of the few advantages amateurs like us have is that we have all the time in the world , we can even do it over again if it doesnt work out the first time !
    Just fix it up......No problem if you buy new pickups or other stuff , it will always fit in any other strat type guitar you get later , so the money arent lost

3. Bjarke15

Bjarke15 TDPRI Member

How will i know if the original nut is too bad?
    And if i were to buy some tools, would i then want to buy the cheapest, the most expensive, or somewhere inbetween?

I can get raw bone for free, and without shipping, but i would need some tools.
    Is Tusq better than bone?
    I have already created a nut, and a saddle once, it was made with a hacksaw and some files.
    This is the instrument i made the nut for.

4. Scooby Snax

Scooby Snax Friend of Leo's

5. Bjarke15

Bjarke15 TDPRI Member

Do they work nearly as well?

6. Scooby Snax

I think it depends on the user, I'd say with care, yes, if you just go at it like a madman, no. It also depends on the hardness of the material on how well they cut.

I've used pre slotted Tusq nuts The cost of a nut, ($15) is less than the cost of a set of nut files by far, and they're made in Canada, so I have to bang the drum.

7. Bjarke15

Bjarke15 TDPRI Member

If the original nut is not buzzing and is sounding alright (even though it's plastic), should i still change it?

8. Scooby Snax

There's an old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If its sounding alright, and as long as the nut slots are not too low, the nut material does not make much difference once the string is fretted in my opinion.

If you're looking for the experience of doing it, go ahead, but as I said before, why put more effort into it than needed. I'm sure that if you wanted to do something, you could level, dress and polish the frets, which be more beneficial than changing a nut that is still quite serviceable.

I equate this to changing fuses that haven't blown. Why replace something that isn't worn out.

9. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Sorry totally forgot about this thread :)

First things first. When it comes to changing parts out on old guitars, it is always good to keep the old part in storage. Dont just throw them out. That way, you still have the collectors value, and the sound you like.

As for nut files. Dont know where you are all buying nut files, but ebay is your friend :)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Pack-of-Guitar-Tools-Kit-for-Luthier-inc-Nut-Files-Stainless-Steel-Ruler-Winder-/370788956632?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5654be79d8

There are plenty of these out there, and they do get the job done :)

PS. When are the pictures coming? :)

10. Bjarke15

Bjarke15 TDPRI Member

I am using this guitar in a school project now, but when i'm done with that, i will start working :)
    And thanks for the link.

11. Bjarke15

Bjarke15 TDPRI Member

How would that affect the sound?

12. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

Directly? Not at all. Indirectly it will sound better because it will be easier to play well.

13. Bjarke15

Bjarke15 TDPRI Member

Ok :)

14. Bjarke15

Bjarke15 TDPRI Member

Here comes a little teaser.

Here comes a little teaser.
    This might not be dying, but the death of one of these would indeed be horrid :)
    Can you guess what it is?

Attached Files:

15. Bjarke15

Bjarke15 TDPRI Member

Just a little something else.

Just a little something else that i got.
    It's a 60's Airline Bobcat.
    It's based on a Harmony H 14, with DiMarizio pickups and wooden saddle.

Attached Files:

16. Bjarke15

Bjarke15 TDPRI Member

More pictures.

Attached Files:

17. ezas

ezas TDPRI Member

I'm a fan of resurecting guitars like this. About a year ago I got a Squier Jaguar that didn't have a scratch on it for $85. The neck played like crap. Someone had tried to rewire it, i'll simply say there was electricians tape in the cavity. Intonation was crazy out. Pickguard totally hacked up to put some Hum's in it that looked like they came from a $1 store. I have some pictures if anyone wants to see them. It looked like somone had emptied their junk drawer on this guitar to sell it. I don't think it was the guy I bought it from. I think it was a project he decided not to tackle, never got to, etc.

I did my 1st fret leveling job on it (which came out great). Bought a replacement pickguard. Did some GFS 'upgrades' including the trem, putting some Dream 90's in it, and it plays and sound great now. And an offset body was everything I hoped it would be which was part of the reason for the project.

As far as a nut goes. Part of it, in my opinion, is do you want to replace the nut, either to gain the experience or to see how it does change the sound. If it's a plastic nut, it won't sound worse with a Tusq nut.

18. Bjarke15

Bjarke15 TDPRI Member

I just checked the frets with a straight edge (in my case a credit card).
    There were no noticable height differences.
    Should i still polish and buff the frets?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.