1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Saved from Salvation!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by mtglick, Apr 12, 2021.

1. mtglick

mtglick TDPRI Member

Wife sent me to the Salvation Army nearby to drop a bunch of old kids' toys and the like, and on top of the donation pile was this:

20210412_180346.jpg

Realize this isn't to everybody's taste, but FREE tastes good no matter what, and I have kind of an affinity for these salad bowls. When I picked it up off the pile to move it out of the way so it wouldn't get crushed by the toaster somebody dumped right on top, I glanced over at the guy manning the donation table, he gave me the nod, so off it went.

Did the research, this is a US-made, white Ovation Balladeer 1111-6, passive piezo (no battery!), serial dates it to March-April of 1977.

20210411_215738.jpg

Got it home, dusted it off (clearly had sat in a garage for a LOOONG time) and evaluated. Pickup jack was loose in the body, nut had been worn a little deep, frets were a little worn as well. Two long finish cracks with some dirt in the usual places for these, bridge corners to binding on both treble and bass sides.

Reinstalled the jack, filed down and installed a new TUSQ nut, dressed and leveled the frets, oiled the truss rod nut and got it moving freely. Ordered some fresh CA to address the finish cracks, will open and then fill those in.

However, the biggest issue is that the binding is shrinking, and on the lower waist, that's caused the binding to pull away from the body and start to crack the top:

20210411_215748.jpg

I'm hoping that I can hit this with a hair dryer, then squeeze in some epoxy or CA, and then clamp it up, but the binding is also slightly vertically displaced in the same spot:

20210411_215757_HDR.jpg

Any suggestions on this? The top is still basically flat, but obviously the back isn't, and I can't figure out how I'd clamp this vertically while pulling it horizontally. The binding has also globally shrunk enough to be slighly recessed from the edge of the bowl, no more than maybe a fingernail's worth but you can feel it.

2. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I'm not an ovation fan, but it's pretty cool to score a 70s example. Worth saving, even if not my taste.

3. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

Nice find. I had an old Ovation and the top wood expands and contracts with the humidity. Bot the body of the guitar doesn’t move. You see it often.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.