Saugerties trivia

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
So I have a guitar strap on my Martin acoustic called Saugerties. I am teaching my granddaughter how to play a baritone Uke, and she thought it was a cool strap and I was looking around to see if I could find a smaller one with the same pattern/colors.

Anyway, my curiosity got me to thinkin' how the heck did it get that name?

So Hendrix had one like it at Woodstock, but that was a long way from Saugerties, NEW YORK.

There was a "Woodstock '94" nine miles away from there (Saugerties) so iDK if that's the connection ?? I think it may have been identified ( is it a pattern?) long before '94.

I just think it's an cool 'ol school looking deal.

Last edited:

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I would assume (don’t know, old course) that the word/term “Woodstock” might be perhaps owned/copywritten.
Perhaps, Saugerties is a reasonable substitute, for the purpose of selling the cool “vintage” type strap, without paying a licensing fee?
I always labored under the impression that the original Woodstock was indeed held on Max Yasgur’s dairy farm, in Saugerties.
Dunno.
Anyone here know?

Last edited:

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I live on Long Island. As a kid, Saugerties was the automotive equivalent of “fly over country”. I remember a drive up the New York State Thruway on the way to the Adirondacks I asked my father what’s in Saugerties and he replied, “Nothing”. No offense intended to folks living in the Hudson Valley. Calling it “drive by” country? It’s not that.

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
If the pattern is like this one on my white MIM Strat, it’s available from Ace. I got this one on Amazon:
FA40CC5D-15D7-4E5A-8B0F-0CAFBADEC8C7.jpeg

Poster Extraordinaire
Hendrix lived in Boiceville for a while - a few miles from Woodstock (6 miles or so) and a bit further from Saugerties (10-12 miles).

View attachment 936240

I learned my first song on guitar in Saugerties. I got a nice scar on my shin playing horseshoes at a batchelor party in Boiceville. I grew up 8 miles from Bethel. The owner of the local General store would tell how he sold out of corn cob pipes during Woodstock, but nobody bought pipe tobacco.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
So Hendrix had one like it at Woodstock, but that was a long way from Saugerties, NEW YORK.

Just FYI...Woodstock, NY, where the 1969 original "Woodstock" was planned by Mike Lang etc. and so named, is only 10 or 11 miles from Saugerties. The festival was eventually held in Bethel, NY because the Woodstock town board didn't want the crowds in their area.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Just FYI...Woodstock, NY, where the 1969 original "Woodstock" was planned by Mike Lang etc. and so named, is only 10 or 11 miles from Saugerties. The festival was eventually held in Bethel, NY because the Woodstock town board didn't want the crowds in their area.
So now they have the fame but never got the fortune.

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's

Other sites that were considered were Saugerties and Wallkill.

D.H.

Poster Extraordinaire
My wife’s family moved from Nanuet to Albany during Woodstock. Not the best weekend to be in a moving van on the Thruway.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
One of my foster brothers came from a home in Saugerties. (We lived in Goshen NY, about 65 miles south of that.) He'd get pissed off at something, hop on his bike and head back to Saugerties. Where there was no longer a home for him, so he'd end up back in Goshen. This happened repeatedly. I think of him every time I drive by Saugerties.