Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension Strings

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by BGTele, Jan 27, 2018.

1. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

I've got nothing to do with Santa Cruz, this isn't a stealth ad. I just tried their new Santa Cruz Parabolic tension strings for acoustic guitar and I want to tell all of you about how terrific they are. They don't have string gauge, just medium and light tension. I got a set of medium tension for a Martin dread I have and they are quite different from anything else I've tried in years. I do think Martin Retro strings are different and good too but these are something else. They are pricey, $18 a set. They have full tone and yet a sort of spongy tension, I can actually bend the strings which is unusual for me on a Martin acoustic.

The Medium tension strings seem like light gauge but not exactly. I find it hard to describe these but I noticed a really nice difference right away when playing them.

This of you who play a lot of acoustic guitar may find it worth trying these if you don't mind the high cost. Nice to really have some different strings from the usual Phos/Bronze sets that are everywhere on every guitar. The Phos/Bronze sets last about two weeks and are too bright anyway for my taste.

Maybe someone who has tried these and is a bit more articulate can describe them better.

2. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

PS, yes, it is Santa Cruz, the guitar company.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sounds interesting!
    Next time I’m in Guitar Rez I’ll ask them about the strings, thanks.

4. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Just picked up a couple sets of these. Low tension for my Martin 000-15M. I'm replacing a set of Elixir Nanoweb 11s. They're a bit heavier than that set of Elixirs, but play very similarly. Sound is maybe very slightly fuller but not all that different. Overall, I'd say the feel and sound are similar enough that they're probably not worth the difference in price (on this guitar) unless they last a REALLY long time, because the Elixirs are no slouch in the life expectancy department area. But who knows, maybe after I go through both sets of these and then go back to the couple of sets of Elixirs I have, it'll fee like a bigger difference than it currently does. People with multiple acoustics seem to really like these on some and not on others, so they're probably worth a try, but for me with my one nice acoustic, the differences are pretty underwhelming...

-Ray

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I got a set of the medium tension strings.
    I’m going to put them on soon, and make a report.
    They were $18, so I hope I don’t like them.;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.