Santa’s Dead - i.e., Pedal Myths

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Other than the "surface mount parts" I pretty much agree with him.:)

It took me a while to get my head around SMT vs through hole and to feel like I'd be ok if the world went all SMT. I think tolerances on SMT are much more consistent than through-hole parts of the past so current production pedals will be more consistent sounding across the lot vs pedal runs of the past, where looser tolerances may have led to one pedal sounding "better" than another.

They have discovered the secret of selling multi-effects units to otherwise corksniffing players. That's a marketing triumph in my book.

I am pretty certain I am a cork sniffer and I don't care for Strymon. It is probably my cork sniffing that keeps me from buying them, ironically enough.

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
I used to fabricate pedals, corksniffing is bs in many many ways, as in you do not need parts from the Andromeda galaxy to make good sounding effects.
As for Strymon, have owned a few of their pedals, spent some great deal of time with others they have made......well sold the pedals I had bought, did not get any further urge to get more of them after trying out some of their other offerings, not really my taste, nice enough but just not something I want to spent time on.
They are mass producing a certain safe sound....

All in all it is just tools, mostly you do not need complicated or refined streamlined effects to get what you need.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Okay, Josh, then go ahead and clone the CS-2 already. :p

What would you change about the CS-2?

Nothing, except a smaller footprint would be nice, and knobs that don't turn when the wind blows.

My comment was in response to the supposed myth "There's no way you can clone that pedal." No one has made a CS-2 clone because the VCA chip used in that circuit doesn't exist anymore.

That Mooer is not a CS-2 copy/clone....
Some say it's a CS-3 copy/clone, but the CS-3 is NOT a CS-2.

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
Johnson honed that tone with a scoop of srv and a double scoop of Holdsworth.

Gem is a tone masterpiece, sounds like his guitar is going to explode.

Never heard a guitar sound like that. But I see where he developed his sound from. Standing on them giants.

Jhs guy josh should cut a real album already his guitar playing is amazing.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Will watch tonight. Not sure what issues folks have with Josh. I like his videos. He knows his s$%t. Has fun. Is self deprecating in a good way.
There are things he supports that i don’t support, but it never comes up in his videos.

And some people knock his pedals for being kinda expensive for what they are. He’s never made any pedal i’ve felt a particular need for, so i haven’t really cared about that yet. Then again my board has been fairly stable for the past few years.

Miff

Tele-Meister
Johnson honed that tone with a scoop of srv and a double scoop of Holdsworth.

Gem is a tone masterpiece, sounds like his guitar is going to explode.

Never heard a guitar sound like that. But I see where he developed his sound from. Standing on them giants.

Jhs guy josh should cut a real album already his guitar playing is amazing.

Not my kind of thing, but he’s clearly a skilled and precise player. To me the guitar ‘tone’ sounds like an analogue synth, a bit too smooth for my taste- guitars should be a bit spiky.

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
What I do like about most of the smaller pedal guys, josh, Wampler, is that they genuinely love pedals. They will wax rhapsodic over boss ds-1, or cork sniffers delight. And that’s healthy.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire

JoeNeri

Friend of Leo's
From a recent Guitar Player interview with Joe Bonamassa, not specific to pedals but still on point:

2) Your Sound Depends On You

When it comes to gear, we all chase the mythical holy grails, and I’m lucky enough to own a lot of them. But it’s funny: If I took an Epiphone Les Paul and a Peavey Bandit or if I took a ’59 Les Paul and a Dumble, chances are I’m going to sound very similar, and, to me, that’s gear in a nutshell. It all comes down to you. It’s the type of pick you use. It’s your attack and your bloom. Do you have a light tough, or do you pick hard? Tone really starts with you. It's what you hear in your head and how it manifests. Gear is important – you want to have the right tools – but there isn’t one device, electric guitar or amp that’s a game changer. Nothing is going to give you your sound. Your sound’s in you. Your gear is just there to help you.

JoeNeri

Friend of Leo's
0DD9DEC6-8537-4740-BE2F-8A4B5E6441BF.jpeg

Blrfl

Tele-Afflicted
From a recent Guitar Player interview with Joe Bonamassa, not specific to pedals but still on point ... Gear is important – you want to have the right tools – but there isn’t one device, electric guitar or amp that’s a game changer. Nothing is going to give you your sound. Your sound’s in you. Your gear is just there to help you.

Bonamassa's one of the few people who owns enough gear at any given moment to be able back that statement up with a demonstration.

Miff

Tele-Meister
From a recent Guitar Player interview with Joe Bonamassa, not specific to pedals but still on point:

2) Your Sound Depends On You

When it comes to gear, we all chase the mythical holy grails, and I’m lucky enough to own a lot of them. But it’s funny: If I took an Epiphone Les Paul and a Peavey Bandit or if I took a ’59 Les Paul and a Dumble, chances are I’m going to sound very similar, and, to me, that’s gear in a nutshell. It all comes down to you. It’s the type of pick you use. It’s your attack and your bloom. Do you have a light tough, or do you pick hard? Tone really starts with you. It's what you hear in your head and how it manifests. Gear is important – you want to have the right tools – but there isn’t one device, electric guitar or amp that’s a game changer. Nothing is going to give you your sound. Your sound’s in you. Your gear is just there to help you.
If JB did a gig with nothing but an Epiphone and a Peavey Bandit I wonder if he’d get an audience walkout; numerous refund requests and a lawsuit for not delivering the ‘expected tone’ :)

JoeNeri

Friend of Leo's
Some 20 or so years ago, Clapton was touring, with Japan the next stop. None of his gear arrived in time for the first show, so he went on stage with a borrowed MIM Strat and whatever amp the venue had on hand. Nobody noticed any change in Clapton’s performance. He only told the story years later.

I wouldn’t walk out on a Bonamassa concert even if he was playing a Diddley Bow!

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
If JB did a gig with nothing but an Epiphone and a Peavey Bandit I wonder if he’d get an audience walkout; numerous refund requests and a lawsuit for not delivering the ‘expected tone’ :)
I’ve thought that same thing about EJ. He’d sound just perfect on my gear and I’d sound like emptying a box of Slinkys on a marble floor with his gear.