Sansamp GT 2 in front of an amp

Grandy

Tele-Holic
Anyone use it as a dirt box in front of an amp? I went through my pedals if there were any I might sell. I tested it and it transformed my amp into something else as it is an amps-in-a-box, isn't it? I Couldn't turn up to proper band level though.
What are your thoughts? I'm thinking about holding on to mine for a while longer.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've used it tat way but 20 years ago.
Possibly the very best "cleans up with guitar volume" pedal ever.
But yeah, limited too, keep it if you like it.

USian Pie

Tele-Holic
I used one as a distortion pedal in front of an amp for a while. It had a great extreme distortion sound -- pinch harmonics whenever I wanted them.

I think I was using one in front of a Peavey Classic 50 when I made this little giggle years ago.

lefty73

Tele-Afflicted
It should work really well, and will definitely get a distinctive sound.

The key with the GT2 (and other amp-in-a-box pedals like it) is to make your amp's clean sound kinda boring. Remember that the GT2 emulates the whole tone stack - preamp, power amp, speaker, and mic position - so there's a lot going on even before you get to the gain and tone controls on your amp.

Also remember the EQ on the GT2 is really powerful as it's active EQ, so keep that in mind as you tweak at various volumes. You may find you'll be cutting Bass or Treble on the GT2 as the amp's volume goes up.

Also also, one thing I've found with the Tech 21 gear is when you're playing alone, the Tech 21 gear is sooooo present and in your face that it sounds a little "off". In my experience, that completely disappears in a band setting and is really a godsend because it carves out a sonic space only your guitar can fill.

Last edited:

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
I've had both the sansamp and the behringer clone, and hated them both. I hated the behringer less, though, since it was so much cheaper. The results were the same with both.

I had better luck using them for standalone DI than with an amp. They are way too compressed, muddy, and "high gainy" even at the lowest settings. They do sound like a mic'ed amp, though, and are eq'ed to sound as such. So you can get passable results direct live and recording. But it sounds like a really bad amp. Use with an amp with the knowledge that it will completely take over the sound of the amp. If the tone matches the type of amp, it can be less non-useful. The low gain fender tone can work with fender amps, IMO. It does change the dynamic feel, though. And not in a good way. The marshall and mesa settings just won't work with an amp at all. It's not meant to be used with an amp, and doesn't sound like it could, IMO.