Sandpaper loading = Lacquer not cured?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by TelZilla, Oct 14, 2021.

1. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

I'm working on a body I finished with Colortone lacquer from Stewmac.

Finished spraying clear 15 days ago. Tried some wetsanding today- water with a couple drops of dawn in it using P800 waterproof sandpaper. The paper is loading a bit- little globs on the paper even with regular rinsing of the paper.

Does this mean I need to wait longer and let the lacquer cure longer? I don't smell anything, but I'm afraid it's not ready. I'm afraid if the sandpaper loads I will get deeper scratches than I want.

Thoughts?

Boreas likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ahh the joys of lacquer....... You should wait either another two weeks, or until 2055....... hard to say....

Cyberi4n likes this.
  3. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

It’s normal. You can sometimes knock the nubs off of the paper, but I usually move to fresh paper. After a while you’ll be able to feel the difference between good and worn/ loaded grit

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

If I recall StewMac suggests 10 days drying time before color sanding and buffing. We have a forumite who says that because they put naphtha in their finishes it can take much longer. I always waited at least two weeks and usually 3 or 4. Also it depends on how good the final coat was which grit I would start with and how aggressive I would sand - ideally if the last coat is pretty good it shouldn't require a lot of sanding.

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The lacquer doesn't care what StewMac, or the internet, or what I say on the subject. You've just got to wait until the lacquer is ready to be finished.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  6. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

I might also add more soap to the water. The nitro isn't going to care and it will lube it up better to remove what's clogging. But if it's soft, you'll just damage it faster.

7. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

If you put it on heavy it can take some time. Fingernail test in a pickup cavity to see if it leaves an indent with moderate pressure. If so, it isn't hardened enough yet and any sanding done can easily result in more scratches to and out.

Eric

Boreas, Cyberi4n and CapnCrunch like this.
  8. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

As eallen said^, check for hardness/softness in a PU cavity. If you can dent it with a thumb nail, then wait another week or so i.e. until you can't dent it. If you go ahead and sand when it is soft enough to load the paper, it is possible to sand the finish flat now, and in a couple of weeks after the lacquer dries and shrinks some more, you will have LOTS of scratches that will show because of the shrinkage. It's better to wait if it is too soft. Don't ask me how I know this.

Boreas and Cyberi4n like this.
  9. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Interesting with regard to using detergent in your water. Someone told me long ago that actual soap is the best lube. It’s what I use, anyway.

10. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

I would work with S/M directly. Tincture of time will typically work though. Also, some sandpaper loads more than others. Are you using a sanding block?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.