1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sanding Down Glossy Neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Cornelius TX, Oct 18, 2020.

1. dcm0

dcm0 TDPRI Member

I highly recommend sanding any neck that has a poly or other plastic finish. Take the finish off entirely. That stuff is garbage to play on.

Then get yourself some Tung oil and beeswax, heat them up together (be careful with this stuff around open flame, use adequate ventilation for this or anything involving aromatic solvents, and don't use your wife's favorite saucepan, this mix is a monster to clean, and the pan or other heating vessel will likely be unsuitable for making food thereafter) and rub the mix in to the neck with a rag until the wood won't take any more, then keep rubbing to get the wood to absorb it.

Reapply every few days for a month. And play as much as you can so that your hand is moving around the neck a lot, not just a polishing rag.

The end result is the difference between the texture and feel of a Lego Block, and that of a Louisville Slugger.

This is a wee bit labor intensive, and inherently takes time for the wood to accept the conditioning, but it is ABSOLUTELY worth it.

Cheers, --D

2. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

Thanks, you just answered question I head in my head many years:) The only thing I hated on CV´s was cold poly, now I have reason to buy one:)

Seattlesurfer likes this.
  3. KS6V

KS6V TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Thanks to the OP for the question and for the replies. I have a Squier neck inbound and I think I will probably need to degloss the back of the neck. Scotchbrite sounds like the way to go. I'm not worried about resale on my cheap partscaster project. Lots to learn here.

4. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

I used green scotchbrite on the back of the neck and the fretboard on my fave Cab when it was new. I wasn't altogether sure about the fretboard side but after a few years playing the neck is superb. Silky, fast and never gets any drag.

I also scotchbrited the back of my Baja neck and that's equally good. Plus neither has ever needed doing again even after many hours of intensive playing.

5. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I dull down the neck on my Baja regularly. Very fine wire wool or a brand new Scotchbrite. Have to do it fairly often when I'm regularly gigging.

6. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

Not sure how many more threads like this will pop up/I'll search out before I finally can't resist trying this. Had a Joe Strummer with a sanded neck and I dream about the feel.

7. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

No finish on the necks on my 'casters except a thin layer of oil now and again (I prefer Scherell gun stock oil. A bit smelly when applied, though). I've been practising "no finish" since the early 90's, no problem with warping or other neck gremlins whatsoever.

8. Cornelius TX

Cornelius TX TDPRI Member

Thank you!

I wound up doing the green scotchbrite method on the neck. Love it. Thanks, everyone! Now, I kind of want to try that on the fretboard itself, but may not be necessary. If anyone wants to share personal experiences with that, please do.

Thanks!

bls82261 likes this.
  9. ladewd

ladewd TDPRI Member

I have a MIM Tele I’m modifying. I hate the poly coated necks, but I also find the fingerboard gets sticky when my hands are sweaty. If I use scotch-brite on the fingerboard as well, will it cloudy up the finish?

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have made several guitars and nearly always sand the neck. Start with a reasonably heavy grade paper, actually count the passes you make, work through to wet and dry sandpaper and use a Clear Acrylic Satin
    spray- this will not yellow and will not be sticky. Gloss is sticky. Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.