Sanding belt cleaner - for Free?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by old wrench, Jan 22, 2020.

1. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

I recall that several months ago there was some discussion about cleaning sanding belts and trying to get those "corns" out that sometimes form up in sandpaper when you sand soft or gummy stuff. Sometimes ya get a bit of wood sap that sticks to the paper when the temperature from sanding friction rises, as well.

They sell the rubber chunks (looks like a piece of tan colored crepe rubber) for doing this at around $8 or $10 bucks a pop.

One of you folks, I think it may have been @Davecam48, mentioned that cured silicone caulk might do the job, similar to the rubber belt cleaners.

It seems like I'm always throwing away half-used tubes of caulking because they've hung around long enough to set up inside the tube before I have a chance to use them ;).

Sure enough, I grabbed a tube of silicone caulk that's been sitting around half full for a year or so, and even though I'd plugged the end of the tube, it had hardened up on me.

I recalled the idea we discussed, and cut the jacket of the tube off, and tried out the cured-out remains . . .

IMG_0948.JPG

The hardened up remains of the old silicone worked amazing well :) .

eallen, Soapbarstrat, RogerC and 3 others like this.
  2. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good to know. Thanks...

Now, may I offer....
    Rather than just plugging the caulking tube, my practice is to cut the end off the tube at an angle, and save it.

Then when finished with caulking I bleed a little fresh goop out the end, turn the cut end over, and stick it back into the tube. I finish the deal by smacking the newly inserted "cap" into the tube by banging it end down on a hard surface.

So far, my caulk stays caulk. So does that horribly expensive sealant used for "Hydro-Blok" porcelain tile substrate...

It's been over a year, still goop.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The soles of old tennis shoes also work to clean up sanding belts.

4. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hi George

Yeah it was probably me re the old silicon set hard in the tube trick. Recently ordered (on E-Bay) some sanding belt cleaner sticks, the yellow square rods as my others were getting so short I just about wore the ends of my finger just trying to hold them against the disk sander face. The E-Bay order arrived a few days ago but the received items were twice as large as what was advertised so I had a big win there. Also if you go to the the Elcheapo / Dollar Shops and buy a couple of cards of white pencil erasers, they work very well also but do not last long compared to the "real" thing!!!!

Warning!!!! Avoid the multi-coloured erasors at the El-Cheapo shop...............They work, but do not last long at all and can leave pink and green stripes on the sanding belt/ disk sander disks which may be transferred onto the job piece.

The white ones are good but quickly wear down to a piece too small to hold against a moving belt or disc without shortening your fingers! :p

As an aside..........I keep my partly used silicon tubes in the frig.........they seem to survive O.K. very well for a long period of time.

DC

DC

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    old wrench likes this.
  5. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Tele-Meister

Going off topic here, but I was just thinking recently about putting rubber shoe soles through a hand crank meat grinder to make coarse rubber granules to replace the sawdust inside my homemade drum sanders. I got the idea years ago, to make drum sanders, where you have sawdust packed inside a cardboard tube, then you tighten a bolt going through it, with round wood discs on each end to compact the sawdust. I figure rubber might work better and I’m always on the lookout for a new way to reuse and avoid landfill contribution.

old wrench likes this.
  6. R.S.Fraser Sr.

R.S.Fraser Sr. Tele-Meister

old wrench likes this.
  7. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Very interesting, I hadn't considered that :).

I do know that you surely don't want to contaminate any of your work that might have a finish applied at some point it's future with "silicone".

I'm not familiar enough with the chemistry of silicone to speak definitively about it's effects, but I'd think there are some very real differences between liquid silicone and cured-out RTV silicone.

I believe "silicone" is actually sort of a misnomer, what we are talking about is siloxane, at least RTV silicone is.

Surprisingly, there are silicone enhanced paints and one of the additives that is sometimes used with laquer is fisheye eliminator which contains "silicone".

Now, I'm curious :)!

I'll volunteer a wood sample for a test finish after being sanded with a belt that was cleaned with a chunk of cured-out RTV "silicone".

8. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Never been a big fan of cleaning belts. By the time they are clogging they are no longer sharp and cutting evenly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.