1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sanding "back the black"

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by mindwave, Oct 18, 2013.

1. mindwave

mindwave Tele-Meister

Team,

Ive seen a lot of guys use the method to REALLY make some grain and colors pop.

IF youre using a (for example) flame maple cap, they will transtint it in black, let it dry then "sand back the black" and after thats done go back and apply a yellow or green or blue or what have you, and it REALLY gives the grain GREAT definition!

My question is, whats the best sandpaper(s) to use when doing this?

I was thinking that maybe starting with 320and going back up from there, would work. But I', sure theres lots of guys here who use it on a regular basis, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

J

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

3. Drum Strummer

Drum Strummer TDPRI Member

Mindwave - Greetings from the Westcoast (of FL that is). I sanded down my body with 220 then applied the black stain. The grain raises quite a bit if you are using water based stain. Once dry, I sanded back with 220 and then re-applied stain. After letting coat 2 dry I sanded it back with 320 and lightly wiped off the dust. If you like what you see, sand it with 400 grit, wipe it down and you are ready to apply your color stain.

Post pics as you make progress. Good luck.

4. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

+1

5. mindwave

mindwave Tele-Meister

cool, thanks I should know by monday :)

6. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Medium and Dark brown work really well for Reds, Yellows, Oranges and clear for the same method. Although I might go dark stain then 180 first then 220 then Color then 320 and again after the color stain....400 and up for the wetsanding leveling coats IMO.

7. robert spencer

robert spencer Tele-Holic

I have been planning this finish to be done in black & grey like the G&L bass above.
    How do I get this effect? I thought maybe just by using a black stain & sanding back between coats. What do you think? Thanks.

8. mindwave

mindwave Tele-Meister

Well what I found, was that for it to have a DRAMATIC effect like I was looking for, you need a REALLY strong grain pattern.

However for something like the above, raise the heck out of the grain you have and then useing a transluscent black should do it.

It does look like they did some sanding back between coats, but if your JUST going for straight black its not that hard.

one caveat i learned the hard way, dont try and get too fancy with yuor grits while youre sanding back or you'll end up 'burnishing' the wood and then your sol.

j

9. Anguslaing

Anguslaing TDPRI Member

Use alcohol thinner to thin transtint to avoid raising grain.

image-2504603086.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.