1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

SANDED DOWN NECK ON EBAY ITEM * FENDER CUSTOM SHOP '63 RELIC NAMM TELECASTER ' SHORELINE GOLD '

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by marky1976, Feb 24, 2021.

1. marky1976

marky1976 TDPRI Member

Just a quick heads up...Purchased a 2017 Fender Custom Shop 1963 '63 Relic Telecaster NAMM edition in Shoreline Gold ( Serial number CZ 533524 ) on ebay this week which I had to return. It has a sanded down neck and no doubt will be in circulation again at some point. Hopefully the seller will mention it this time and don't want anybody getting duped !
    Crudely sanded to a clean finish and who knows how much wood was removed ? You can see the sandpaper marks and scratches across the fretboard edge. I think whoever did it sanded it it to far aswell as there is no need to go right to the headstock. Such a shame and significantly devalues the instrument.
    You can see what the neck should look like if it were the original Relic 'worn away' neck finish by the grey colour of the other exposed wood areas on the body and headstock... I am pretty sure it would have been a tinted gloss finish though as have seen a few examples on the net... see images below..[​IMG]

BE20D382-9CB2-4FD7-A78F-EBD28FC51639.jpeg 2DF16E02-8E8C-4068-B176-F83074D9AB7B.jpeg 53A4ABF7-87DD-432F-AB28-0105DB405C06.jpeg 697EB6B5-029D-47E8-8677-914490E09A91.jpeg 9EC576DB-B02E-4C54-B98E-B4DBD589C8B4.jpeg 281CCBAB-3026-4242-AA3D-85D52515DAD7.jpeg 64A519E6-212B-45EA-B9ED-FEA1ECF774FA.jpeg 02F6CBE6-DA08-4C6B-B5A6-9376D18EAB11.jpeg A849C8BD-DDA7-4211-B680-6EF92A8C6BD0.jpeg 4B194506-0306-45B1-B717-1427A1988B25.jpeg

Fendereedo and That Cal Webway like this.
  2. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the warning!

It's a shame because it's a cool looking guitar.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yikes!

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That’s why I don’t buy off eBay or Reverb. Many folks don’t tell the truth about the instrument’s condition.
    I would also lose interest if modded appears anywhere in the description. Modded by who? Perhaps by some numnutz who has the touch and feel of an elephant.

5. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Ouch!
    Caps_Lock.jpg

Lost_N_Austin

6. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks for that. Cool tele BTW!

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. painter33

painter33 Tele-Meister

In 1967, I had pristine ‘59 Pontiac Bonneville convertible in Shoreline Gold. Cream top, tri-color leather, bucket seats, and literally every option. Simply a classy color! The biggest, most beautiful car I’ve ever owned. Followed it w/a ‘62 Beetle, heh, heh, heh! Thought about the color when I built a Tele but decided on a yellow-cream (another GM color: Cameo Cream) blackguard version. The next one...who knows?

8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

What a mess!

9. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

What's the point of even doing that? Why would someone bother?

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I feel the same way. I feel the same way about "upgrade" You loose value.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Knowing NOTHING about this particular guitar, but I've had several guitars whose glossy-finished necks caused "drag" when playing. It would even get worse as a gig went on. I've used green Scotch Brite pads to gently take down the finish. One especially (a PRS SE One) is amazing and easy to play now.
    Maybe that had something to do with it. (?) ;)

xtrajerry likes this.
  12. burntfrijoles

I’ve seen other folks post this as well but I’ve never had this issue. I think it may depend on a person’s body chemistry and touch. It does illustrate that when someone modifies a guitar in even minor ways to suit their preferences, it may not be a prospective buyer’s cup of tea.

nojazzhere and Fendereedo like this.
  13. Hibernian

Hibernian TDPRI Member

I suppose if a previous owner did it, it's more of a relic than if the CS did? Not sure what the body pics are showing, does it seem the owner also sanded over the back to 'enhance' the wear? If it played well, I'd be ok with this but agree the seller should have been clear what was being sold.

14. nojazzhere

I've had other glossy-finish necks that DIDN'T drag, so not sure how I'm to "blame".....but perhaps so.

15. burntfrijoles

I wasn’t really suggesting blame just that it could be other factors. Different finishes, finish thickness, how dry or sweaty hands gets, etc. I do recall playing a 90’s MIM butterscotch blonde Teles that had a very thick poly finish that had the drag the OP spoke of but generally I have not experienced it with my guitars.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I can’t really see what’s going on? Doesn’t look too bad
    Maybe in person I could see it,if it was sanded post factory I’d definitely have want a partial refund or return is not

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. nojazzhere

I wasn't offended, and maybe "blame" was the wrong word. Perhaps "responsible" or "cause" would have been better.....but I really don't know why it happens. All I know is that, after lightly using the Scotch Brite pad, the guitars are now "giggable".....and that's what matters to me. ;););)

burntfrijoles likes this.
  18. burntfrijoles

It makes sense. I haven’t had to do it. I would have take a stiff drink before I sanded my guitars. :lol:

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have built a Telecaster for a genuine classical maestro mate . He and his family lived in Italy and Soain at government cost so he could teach other classical guitar teachers.
    Anyway he liked my builds and commissioned me to build him one.
    I did but noticed a year later when visiting him that he hadn't touched it.
    I asked why and he said he wanted a modern C neck like my Telecasters.
    So I patiently shaved it, counting the strokes, going from heavy to wet/dry sanding and then sprayed it SATIN.
    He loved it. Done properly, shaving the neck can get you what you want.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Typo ^ Spain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.