San Francisco Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival 2022

newminglewoodblue

Tele-Meister
I lucked into a 3 day pass for this year's Outside Lands Festival. I attended every day, and had a GREAT time. The highlights for me were:

1) DayGlow, a new band I've never heard of. I love them, pure bliss, modern indie rock.
2) Green Day, The Legend
3) Dominic Fike. The dude is a must see!
4) ***** Riot! I liked many of the Grooves, I loved the energy & attitude. See them if you can if you dare :p
5) Post Malone, he's a great singer with heart & soul. New to me, genre not my first choice, he's won me over. Played a couple songs solo on acoustic, A+
6) Jack Harlow
7) Weezer! Yes, Weezer killed it!
8) Lil Uzi Vert, not my cup of tea per se, I loved his attitude, the dude gave it all he got & was great at what he does.
9) Sza; I think she's one of the top talents & I like her alot. A big stage show a decent performance, she's a diva & I like her.
10) Special nod to the DJ's who had a camping trailer converted to a DJ booth on Saturday, don't know their name. they got me jumpin and dancing!

The crowd was MASSIVE! The crowd was very well behaved (for the most part) and the audience tilted young. I was one of the oldest @ 62 but at no time did I feel awkward or out of place. It was a beautiful celebration of music. Young people today like some music very similar to my old school tastes, and some music very far off the hook from my familiar territory. There was a moment during Jack Harlow's set, everyone was smiling and dancing, the entire place was on fire; I got steamy & teary eyed (swear to god, it was a beautiful moment).

Kindness was in style, good job millennials! Music tastes change, new genres emerge, this isn't your daddies Victrola but I am convinced the world is in the good hands of our youth & live music as an important social & cultural platform is thriving.

Did anyone else attend? What did I miss? The event is so massive I could really only see a fraction of what was going on. I will attend Outside Lands 2023.

My conclusion is I realize I love live music more than I am committed to the tastes I developed over 62 years. I went on a fluke as a guest!

Had I decided not to attend because I've never heard of most of these kids, and many don't play my kinda music, I would have lost out on a life time experience. It truly was that great <3

newminglewoodblue

Tele-Meister
Great post! Glad you had fun, especially since so many of the bands you went and saw were new to you.

So an old dog can learn to like new music.
Not knowing who they were took some pressure off. When I attended Grateful Dead shows over a 3 day period I would get all balled up in "I hope they play such & such"... which can distract. I laid back and listened. I'm the lucky one! FYI, Dominic Fike works a guitar like Hendrix (ok, not a fair comparison). Fike is a once in a lifetime type of guitar player from what I saw.